Thread: Hung up coyotes...

crazedBOWhunter

Default Hung up coyotes...

Over the weekend a buddy and I took off to do some predator hunting. We threw out a coyote locator call via my FoxPro Fury. That lit the coyotes up! There were atleast 4 different groups all around us tipping away. We hiked in a bit and set up with snowshoe hare going for about 40 minutes, nothing. Hiked a little closer, another set up with a different snowshoe hare distress... Nothing. Used multiple coyote howls, everything from male challenged to female invites, barks, yips, yodels,... We threw a gambit of calls over a 3 hour span with no success...

So after all that let's hear it. I know cycling through calls like that can't be the best option... What should I have done? Remember, it's easy to criticize now... I don't need to hear any negative nancies... I'd like some advice, constructive criticism on how to handle coyotes that don't respond to your calls....

So I was getting myself all amped up last week to start calling too by watching a couple of videos I have, several of them by Randy Anderson. It seems like in all of them he has shifted to using coyote vocalizations almost exclusively to draw them in. He starts with the locator/greeting howl to find them. If they hang up he goes to the challenge howl and pup in distress sounds. He really only switched to the squalls after he had seen them for the most part to get them the last little bit to get a shot. The only time he used squalls exclusively was if he was targeting fox and bobcat/lynx.

I'm pretty leery about switching calls too much at a stand. How often in nature do you hear a pack of coyotes howling, fighting, challenging, killing a crow, killing a rabbit, killing a hare, a flock of ravens come in, kill a fawn, etc, etc, etc all in the span of 20-30 min? I think you get their attention, peak their interest, give them a reason to come in, and then be patient. Too much switching around would make them think something up (at least that is my best guess).

Best of luck. Glad you made it out. I got a fox on Sunday, first time out this season! Great way to start it off.
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Were you using continuous sounds or letting it play for a short time and then pausing it? If I hear them light up, I usually will let the caller play for a little while and then pause it. Sometimes they'll be sneaking in towards the sound and start to try and pinpoint where it came from. That's when you're hopefully totally camouflaged out and staying still. A decoy in that instance can be very helpful, to get them focusing on the movement. If no signs of life or movement, I'll usually turn the volume down and let it play for a short 20 to 30 seconds and then pause again and wait 2-3 minutes. If I don't see anything, I'll change to pup in distress at a LOUD volume level. I'll let it rip for about 15 seconds and then pause and watch. Hopefully you have your Fury remote setup with your favorites and sound levels to help minimize on any hand movements. They'll spot you if you're having to fiddle around with the remote and lift it up to look at anything, so practice using your remote with gloves on so you don't have to move your arms at all. Keep your rifle up on the bipod, legs, whatever so you don't have to move as well. Sometimes they simply will not move or cannot be seen. Pack up and move on or try to come back later from a different location.

Dan,
    What was the fur like on your fox?

The fur was really nice actually. Got him north of Fairbanks so it's been cold for a while now. Have to sew on half his tail though. Was looking straight at me when I shot and my bullet exited and shot it off!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Nice work Dan. I shot a nice red north of Fairbanks last season about this time and it was in pretty good shape too. I have a few reds around my house, but they still need a bit more time to prime up. Come on cold weather!!!!! (and snow).

crazedBOWhunter

Thanks for the advice guys! One down fall we ran into was my buddy didnt have snow camo so we had to set up in some brush to mask him. This restricted us further away from em than what we would've liked. Everything you were saying about the remote and movement I followed (thanks to your previous advice last winter) but I agree with Dan on the whole scenario I was playing for them. I plan on heading back out there again sometime this week bc there are a ton of em out there. If either of you are interested in going drop me a PM and we can set something up. Already bagged three yotes and a red this year. One yote was a little early an scraggly but the rest had real nice fur. I too have some sewing to do on my fox, opened him up pretty good but the coyotes had very small entry/exit wounds so the pelts are good.

CrAZED,
    Way to go on the early season success. I haven't been out yet and probably won't get too wound up until mid November. If you're looking to try and get some real leery coyotes, shoot me a PM and we can give it a go. I have a few tricks up my sleeve that have worked on leery one's before.

Good advice.
    Likewise Im waiting a bit longer to get out. Once the creeks freeze up it will allow better access to some of the areas I go.
    Crazed- Any pics of your early seasons critters?

Gee, I'm still thinking about duck hunting, and you guys are bagging fur. Maybe I'll have to go for a mixed bag of ducks and dogs? I like the advice given. Seems I am better at educating predators than packing them home. If you had snow, any chance you found tracks to show what they were doing?
    Good luck this season,
    ARR

Over calling can be an issue.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Bears are still out and about here in Southcentral. Might still be a few of the same in your area too. Best carry some real artillery for a bit longer. Bears are the main reason I don't start earlier. Bears are preds and respond to calls too. Be ready! Congrats on the early action.

I have had great success calling for about 15 seconds, wait 3 minutes, call 15 seconds wait 3 minutes, repeat for about 10 minutes, if you see something, call just a little, very quietly. wait 15 minutes, stand very slowly, you will probably see the dogs running away. they are probably there, you are not seeing them, moving to much or making to many human sounds. They can see and hear much better than you. It is great to see them running in, I will call one area using one call for about 30 minutes, then move about 1/2 mile and do it all over. Watch the wind, they will come in downwind from the sound. If you use a decoy, get off to the side, where you can see it well and the wind is at your side. Good Luck Gerberman

my advise,
    mix it up!
    its the beggining of the season and most dogs are not call shy yet.
    i use a primos "lil,dog" for my location calls, yelps, barks,and all the othe vocalizations they make.
    take advantage of this time because the as easy to call in right now as there ever gonna be.....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

crazedBOWhunter

Camo Man - I can't PM from my phone but was thinkin about heading out saturday afternoon if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Gee, I'm still thinking about duck hunting, and you guys are bagging fur. Maybe I'll have to go for a mixed bag of ducks and dogs? I like the advice given. Seems I am better at educating predators than packing them home. If you had snow, any chance you found tracks to show what they were doing?
    Good luck this season,
    ARR

Please don't go after a mixed bag of ducks and dogs!

If anyone around south central wants to get out, I'm gonna start trying to go here in the next week or so. I've got a FOXPRO, gun, camo, etc. I'm new to it, don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I'd love some help/advice from someone more skilled. I'll drive!

crazedBOWhunter

Mountain Man - I have a few pics I can throw up but I've never posted any before. Most of my posts come through my phone and I'll have to head home this evening an try to figure it out...

crazedBOWhunter

Can anyone give some guidance on posting pics... a little discombobulated...

I'm not a pic posting pro, but I load mine into a Photobucket account and it has the direct image link for forums within Photobucket. I'm sure that any image hosting site has similar options.