Thread: Rem 721 work....

Default Rem 721 work....

Ok, so I have a quite old Remington 721 in 30.06 that I am doing some upgrades to. My dad gave it to me when I turned 16 and he got it from his Boy Scout master long before that. It has a walnut stock and is blued at this time. I recently acquired a synthetic 700 stock and will be customizing it to fit. I was wondering what it would take to modify the trigger group to accomodate a drop away floor plate on the magazine? The 721 has a fixed floor plate and is a pain to unload quickly.

Any thoughts?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I had a 721 in a 300 h&h dropped it in a nice chunk of black walnut stock that was cut for a 700 bdl ordered a 700 bdl floorplate it all fit fine only small issue is where the rear site sits in the barrel ( if you guys seen the 721 u know what im talking about) all you have to do is fit that should be no issues. It's a pretty straight forward drop in for the most part. I should have kept that rifle oh well

It doesn't take anything to modify the trigger group. Assuming you have a stock that was cut for a BDL, you just need to find a BDL floor plate and mag box and it will all bolt up. You can get them from Brownells, etc or a gunsmith may have a used one in his parts box.

I did the same as 323 and have a .300 H&H in a take off 700 Classic stock. Had to carve out for the rear sight knot and make a little room for the safety, otherwise no sweat.

Yk

Seems like the cut for the bolt handle needs to be modified for the straight drop 721 bolt to fit into the swept back notch. Could be mistaken. Otherwise, you'll have to accomodate the barrel "lump" for the rear sight in the new stock. Not likely that barrel contours will match up, so maybe either opening it up, or some filling to do there.

Prices on bottom metal start around sixty bucks for the Remington aluminum pieces(at Midway), sans magazine box, which you'll also need, and if you want steel, or a "custom" piece, prices go up exponentially!

Ok, I have the barrel fit to the stock, only took slight modification for the barrel "nut" and clearing out a bit for the safety lever. Now I have to match up the magazine and trigger guard.... I think I have a BDL stock but I'm not 100% sure. It is all black and has no cap on the butt of the grip, the checkering on the fore arm is very basic. Sound right?

From what a couple of you guys mentioned I just need a BDL floor plate (one piece with the trigger guard?) and a magazine box. Is that about it?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Another question....

Will the follower/spring from my 721 magazine work with the 700 magazine box?
    AKmud

If I remember right I used the box and magazine follower from the 721 only thing I did was get a 700 bdl bottom metal.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have the same 721 and was wondering if the scope mount screws are compatible/same with the 700? I want to put a one piece picatinny base on mine to get my eye relief sorted out. My Nikon scope is just not sitting right even with offset rings.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker