Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Kodiak Goat Hunt

Default 2011 Kodiak Goat Hunt

I decided to take on another Kodiak goat hunt this year. My second year in a row. I had success last year with a very scary moment for my hunting partner. He would have no part of it this year. But I had another good friend, Rob (Forum member Magnumrn) who wanted to take his first Alaskan white beast and I was willing to give it another go. And so we went. The time frame was the same as last year, the first ten days of October. Nice coats on the goats and as decent a chance at good Kodiak weather (laugh if you may) as you can get. And that's just how it started. You couldn't ask for better weather to start a hunt.
    Attachment 54429
    Andrew Airways dropped us off early. We unpacked some "comfort" gear and strung it up in a tree. We said a quick prayer and started the arduous trek up the mountain to base camp. The first 3 hours up are the worst three hours of bush whacking on very steep inclines that you could ask for. At some areas, it's possibly the most dangerous parts of the hunt. And I don't know what happened this year, but the bugs were trying to fly into every exposed hole and perceived hole (like my pupils) that they could find. Last year, there were no bugs. This brought lots of ribbing from my hunting partner who held up his bug net while we were packing at his house and said, "will we need these?" To which I confidently replied, "nope". We made it to base camp in record time, bug guts smeared all over our faces, under a warm sun. Things were looking good.

After a good nights rest, we ate a hot breakfast and had some coffee and started up the mountain hoping to fill our tags. On the way up we spotted 7 Sitka deer. Three were bucks. We watched as two rattled antlers for several minutes. I got the Swaro spotter out and snapped a quick picture through it. It was tempting to take those two out then head up the mountain. We discussed it and remembered our primary objective was goats. There are deer all over the place. We'll get them after we get the goats. This was the last time we saw deer on the trip and they took the sun with them.

Attachment 54430
    We hiked into clouds, snow, and rain. And that set the tempo. My buddy did get his goat. There were 4-5 adults laying down alone. He picked the biggest one after much studying and he dropped a nice 10 inch nannie. The next picture is Rob hiking back towards base camp. This is not the place to get distracted.

Attachment 54431
    We spent most of the next morning in the tent hiding from the blowing rain and snow. It let up for a second around noon and we bailed out decided to start hunting. The mountain looked at us with a stank eye and we decided we had no business being up there. In fact, we couldn't see it most of the time. But there's deer around, we just saw them yesterday. So off we went. Well, we got some exercise. Day three was shot.

Day four looked like day three. But no snow at our elevation, just rain. We decided we were not going to stay in the tent again or someone was going to get hurt. Just man up, get the rain gear on and go. The mountain was shrouded in snow now and made yesterday's stank eye look like a playful wink. We decided to try our luck again with deer. We hiked for close to three miles. It wouldn't have been bad if it weren't side hilling. We came to a rough cliff area that could be passed if we dropped down a couple hundred feet in elevation. While I was checking the route, Rob says to me "Yogi, there's goats!" And sure enough just over 300 yards up hill, a group of five goats laid waiting. I don't know what the magic word, combination of words, look or thought it was, but something flipped a switch and a persistent 50 mph wind started rushing up the cliffs. It was like it was trying to blow us back to camp. I could hardly stand at times. We started up the mountain and closed to 209 yards. We studied them and I picked out the one I though was most likely a billy. But, the way he was laying, he had an extra bump that I just couldn't discern. Not wanting to shoot a nannie of a kid, I picked the one farthest right, that was standing, alone looking at me. It was almost certainly a nannie, but she was alone. Seconds before I put pressure on the trigger, the weird lump goat stood up, rump rub now visible, the weird lump now gone. He looked "swolt" as he stared down at us. That's what I want my mount to look like. A quick change in aim and he was mine. Only an 8 inch billy, but his coat is incredible. We packed him back to camp, cold, feet soaked. Content.
    Attachment 54432
    We woke the next day to sunshine. And why not? We packed camp and trophy out in one haul. Heavy! We saw a blue plane land and take off on the lake below. Figured it was more hunters being dropped off. We didn't care, we had our goats. It came back again an hour or 2 before we whacked our way out of the brush. It was a trooper. I never thought I'd be checked this far from no where. All was good, he even gave us a couple of bug nets. He saw that I pulled the fries out on my goat and was impressed that I did so. He didn't even check the second bag. "If you brought those out, you didn't waste anything else." I think those are his words. Good guy.

This is the view while we waited for the float plane. The snow capped mountain is where we got the goats. I love Alaska. She is amazing.

PA080043.jpg

Default Pics for OP

Sorry, I don't know what happened. I'll post the pictures in separate posts.
    PA030012.jpgPA040019.jpg

Default part 2?

My apologies again. Hope you still enjoy the thread.

Yogi

PA040024.jpg
    Attachment 54436

Default And finally

Enjoy.

PA060030.jpg

sounds like a great hunt. Reminded me of being on Kodiak and having to just 'make' yourself get out in the weather, even as miserable as it can be sometimes.

Great account of a great story. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you guys earned them goats for sure. Congrats!!!!

Excellent account. No frills, just strait up hunting. You could show us that nanny too. Good job, that little billy should be really good food.

Thanks for sharing your story. The hardest/most rewarding hunt I have ever done was a goat hunt with Alaska Nimrod. Prior to that hunt, I thought I had a lot of experience hunting, but going for goats humbled me! Goat hunting made me a believer in instep crampons and trekking poles as well.

What sort of mount are you doing? I went with a 1/2 life...Pat refused to allow me to even think of a shoulder mount. I am so glad I went the 1/2 life route as I enjoy my trophy every day when I head for my bedroom. Pat also was a big fan of rugs. The "trophy" part of a Billy are the front legs IMHO. Again, congratulations!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Great hunt!

A guy has to experience this style of hunting to really appreciate the toughness of it all.
    Congrats for a safe, rewarding goat hunt!
    Proud to be an American!

Great story, terrific pics. Thanks for taking us with you.

What are "fries"?

Thanks for sharing... Having hunted on Kodiak a few time, I truly appreciate your sharing...

Default Thanks for sharing.

Nice work. Again thanks for sharing. This is the motivation I was looking for, just 7 more days. It looks a bit warmer than years past. I still saw green leaves in one of your photos, not to thrilled about that. Was hoping for more snow to drive the goats & deer down a few hundred feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Nice work. Again thanks for sharing. This is the motivation I was looking for, just 7 more days. It looks a bit warmer than years past. I still saw green leaves in one of your photos, not to thrilled about that. Was hoping for more snow to drive the goats & deer down a few hundred feet.
    Snow is dropping further down the hills now. Just looking out (not hit the hills in last 2 days), I guess snowline about 1600' in some areas. Goats are definitely coming down lower (they know road system rifle ends tomorrow!) as I have heard a couple of people see them just off low-lying trails. Best part is that the grass has now died/dropped and the alders are bare; so you can see where you are going and get through it on the lower approaches. It's freaking wet and slippery underfoot right now, so instep or trail crampons are a must pack, bugs are non-existent now.

Great story. As for the deer... I'v been there, tough pill to swallow but at least you got you prize.

Man, I have GOT to try that goat hunting thing. Looks like my kind of challenge. Thanks for the story.

Yk

@dkwarthog- fries are the testicles. AKA mountain oysters.

Those are some great pics love the shot of yoru partner packing his goat out! Congrats to the two of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    @dkwarthog- fries are the testicles. AKA mountain oysters.
    10-4. Yea, I wouldnt have checked the rest of the meat bags either,...you guys probably kept the turd snipper too....LOL

Congrats again, goat hunting is hunting like no other...

Freaking awsome read Yogi! Thanks for the details and for the write-up. Hardcore, sign me up! .....lucky blacktail bucks.

Great story, Yogi. Let me know if I can send any more info that will help with your mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast