Thread: Latest project planning

Default Latest project planning

This past summer my 2nd daughter graduated from college with a Bachelor of Science degree and right after got married to the love of her life. So I got two more firearms projects that I have been planning out. First rifle is for my daughter, second firearm is for my new soninlaw. My daughter wants a rifle exactly like her older sister's rifle except for the color pattern of the stock which she will select herself. So it will be chambered for a 308 winchester which will be built on a MRC 1999 stainless action with a MRC rifle barrel. Barreled action will be fitted into a McMillan fiberglass stock. Probably mount a good Leupold scope on it too. She hunted caribou with me before and used her mom's 270 winchester so I figure a 308 would be ideal for her. I used one for years before I switched over to magnums. Now for my soninlaw, kind of a tough decision. After many lengthly talks out in the bay, on the river and at the dinner table about various cartridges an their qualities not to mention their performance on game we determined that he likes shooting classic cartridges like the 30-06, 338 winchester and a few others. He also likes my son's 300 WSM which he used to successfully harvest caribou with when he hunted with me last winter. He also has his mind made up that one day he will own a black rifle in 223 remington for varmint hunting while he is out trapping. At the same time he really wants a nice shotgun for hunting waterfowl and upland birds. Black rifle would be used regularly since he has a winter trapline up in Fairbanks. 300 wsm would be used for hunting caribou, moose and any other North American 4 legged hoofed animal. With a shotgun he could hunt out here in the bush for ducks and geese or in the interior or even down in the Dakotas with his uncles and cousins. Got enough information for a black rifle build but may need to do more research to really make sure it is done right. Could have a custom bolt action built, have the action I need already, know enough about barrel selection, trigger adjustment weights preferred, stock selections, recoil pads, etc. Now when it comes to having a custom fit shotgun built I am in the dark, always shot factory models like remingtons and winchesters. Sure would be nice to have a shotgun built for him that actually fits properly when he shoulders it to take aim. He told me he has some plans to hunt pheasants and snow geese with his Uncles who live in North Dakota. I think all three are worthy projects. Right now I am kinda leaning toward the shotgun project since I have never had one done before and sure would be nice to learn what is involved in getting a shotgun stock fitted properly. At the same time i know he really wants a black rifle. A bolt action would be my choice but I am partial to them and prefer them over any other. Tough choices, sure glad my daughter has already made up her mind and without question wants a good bolt action rifle. Think my soninlaw is just waiting for me to decide which project to go with.

Good to hear. A B.S. is much more than a BA.

What discipline?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I vote for the ".223 black". It will get used the most, for plinking, trapline and varmints. It is also a easy cartrige to get him interested in reloading.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Good to hear. A B.S. is much more than a BA.

What discipline?
    Biological Science with an emphasis on Optometry.

He has been eying my Armalite 223 since I bought it last year. Something to think about.

My 2cts would be a custom shotgun for hunting is almost unheard of - not sure how much money you want to sink into it but I imagine if you, or he, would decide it was not what you wanted when it was complete it would not have a ton of resale value??? If you do go that route you can have him stop by a custom stockmaker if available, call one and have them tell you what measurments they would want to start with, or find a factory gun that fits him well and start off with those numbers?
    I worked with quite a few sporting shotguns and LOP was by far the most tinkered with adjustment made. You could order an adjustable stock as well and play with it until it felt right for him and use those numbers?
    I think I would build him a nice 3006 and let him aquire the rest of his collection like the majority of us all have done. If he truly loves the sport he will chase his dreams to fulfillment!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    He has been eying my Armalite 223 since I bought it last year. Something to think about.
    No! Buy a shorty AR carbine. You can buy a pink stock set for the AR. Go here: http://www.pkfirearms.com/Standard_Handguards/17/c
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

His and her ARs sounds interesting, pink stock for her blk stock for him. Sure is something to think about.

You know, the AR family of rifles are great fun, easy to shoot, and can be quite accurate.

In the standard AR-15 sized rifles, you have a choice between rifles chambered in: 17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 6mm x 45, 7.62x39, 6.5mm Grendel, 264 LBC, 6.8mm Remington SPC (go for the improved version "II" chamber if you get 6.8), , 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM,.

In the AR-10 sized rifles you have a choice between rifles chambered in: 243 Winchester, 260 Remington, 7mm-08, 284 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 300 Savage, 257 Roberts, 358 Winchester, 300 SAUM, 325 WSM, 338 Federal, 6.5mm Creedmore.

I have not purchased from these people but they look like they are worth some investigation http://www.accurate-ar15.com/ These folks are who offer a lot of caliber options.

I have purchased from GA Precision with my 308 AR and I LOVE IT! My 308 is a real shooter. Their site is: http://www.gaprecision.net/ If I had unlimited $$$ I'd own several GAP rifles. If you don't see the caliber you want, call and ask them...not every possibility is on the website.

DPMS is an option if you want a standard, not custom, rifle. These folks make the 338 Federal and out to 300 yards, it looks like it can do what it is intended to do...less than the 338 WM but still a hard hitter. http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/

I hope this helped you. If you can build it yourself, you'd likely save some $$$. Some day I hope to build one.

Oh, as for reloading... I own multiple rifles chambered in multiple calibers. I have found that the large the cartridge, the easier it is to reload...just my personal opinion. The difference in weight between an AR-10 with 20 rounds versus an AR-15 with a full magazine isn't enough to make me want to take the AR-15 over the AR-10 type rifle if in the woods, but then again, you and I live in different places and a few ounces may be an issue. As you know, the AR-10-capable cartridges pack a better wallop out of the pointy end of the rifle.

No, I'm not an AR-15 or AR-10 salesman. After 32 years of using black rifles, I have learned to really like the good, functional, accurate ones.

I'm done now

MyTime

My Time, Good information about ARs and thanks a lot for the weblinks. I haven't even given much thought to the AR10 rifles yet so this is a good start for me. One of my friends bought an AR10 in 308 winchester last year from Sportsmans Warehouse during the after Thanksgiving sale he seems to be satisfied with it so far, don't recall what make it was though.

The .223 WSSM is unbelievably hot, better than 250fps faster than the .22-250, and this guy uses the best quality barrels available.

http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/new_wssm.htm

Don't stop at .308...
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...4155ce77315059

Problem with .308 AR are the magazines. You are locked into that manufacturers magazines, and they are expensive. If you go with the FAL, mags are $10, can be found anywhere, and parts are cheap and everywhere too. Next time you're in Bethel, we'll go out and burn up the range. But you have to buy the ammo.

My daughter wants a rifle exactly like her older sister's rifle except for the color pattern of the stock which she will select herself. So it will be chambered for a 308 winchester which will be built on a MRC 1999 stainless action with a MRC rifle barrel. Barreled action will be fitted into a McMillan fiberglass stock. Probably mount a good Leupold scope on it too.
    Your daughter has good tastes My wife has the same rifle and scope except the barrel is a Shilen. She loves it.
    Tennessee

My Time, Good information about ARs and thanks a lot for the weblinks. I haven't even given much thought to the AR10 rifles yet so this is a good start for me. One of my friends bought an AR10 in 308 winchester last year from Sportsmans Warehouse during the after Thanksgiving sale he seems to be satisfied with it so far, don't recall what make it was though.
    Further recommendation on mags... My GA Precision is based off of a customized DMPS lower, so DPMS Mags fit it. The DPMS mags are about $44 or so each. Now, Magpul has come out with a <$20.00 20-round 308 DMPS Compatible magazine that fits like a charm; I own several and they are very high quality, IMHO higher than any steel mag. Since mags will be an ongoing need I want affordable, flawless magazines and those Magpul's fit the need. I'm going to copy/paste some info so you know which rifles fit the Magpul mags.

Note: PMAG 20-LR magazines are compatible with the following gun models: Mk11/M110, KAC SR-25, DPMS LR-308, LMT 7.62 MRP, Larue Tactical OBR, LWRC REPR, POF P-308. The magazines are NOT compatible with Armalite AR-10 or M14/M1A variant rifles.

Armalite 20 round mags are $35 each. Mag price was part of my decision when I was deciding between the Armalite -vs- DPMS for my precision rifle build. I have a LOT of Magpul 20 round 308 mags

By the way, I'm glad that the info I gave was useful. Half the fun of getting a new rifle is the research process.

MyTime

Soninlaw came into town today, showed him my daughter's MRC action and we discussed barrel length and contour options. We also talked about my efforts to determine what would be a good firearms for him. We settled that this evening, he chose the 300 wsm bolt action. He said he liked my son's 300 wsm that he used last winter during our caribou hunt. I have a nice Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless rifle action made for a WSM cartridge that would be ideal for this project. Thanks everyone for providing a lil feedback on my latest project planning thread.