Thread: Getting the itch...

Default Getting the itch...

...to buy a new rifle. Do I need something to bridge the gap between my .30-'06 and my .375 H&H, or should I get something to bridge the gap between the .22 Hornet and the .30-'06? I am a diehard CZ fan, so the 9.3X62 would fit in between the '06 and the H&H, and a 6.5X55 Swede would fit in nicely between the Hornet and the '06. Which way should I go?

I would get a 338-06 built. That way you can still use the 06 brass and it is easy to load for. I really enjoy mine. I wouldn't mine a 6.5x either, but I already have a 7mm-08.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dummy View Post
    ...to buy a new rifle. Do I need something to bridge the gap between my .30-'06 and my .375 H&H, or should I get something to bridge the gap between the .22 Hornet and the .30-'06? I am a diehard CZ fan, so the 9.3X62 would fit in between the '06 and the H&H, and a 6.5X55 Swede would fit in nicely between the Hornet and the '06. Which way should I go?
    I vote the Swede.

sounds like you really need to fill the gap on the lower side... 260 Rem- awesome round.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

For Alaska hunting my vote would be on the CZ 9.3x62. Awesome round, great rifle. Had a 9.3x62 once and sold it. Big mistake, building another one as soon as the Shilen barrel comes in.
    If money is tight my second choice would be a Ruger 338 RCM.
    Tennessee

Get the Blaser R8 in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. Cost ya about $4200 for the whole package, assuming a med weight 9.3 with sights (which I have because here because its so cool).

By the way I think the 9.3 is the shiznitz. Very retro German 1914. As I just said to a member here...dead is dead and holes get punched, but doing it with le difference is where its at.

Do you live in Alaska? What do you mostly hunt? If you live in the lower 48, I'd bridge the gap between the 22 and the 30-06. I've always admired the 6.5 Swede and I think it'd be great for the lower 48. I find the 30-06 to be a boring cartridge, and almost as boring as my 308 Winchester. Over the years, I've cleared out most of the sub 30 caliber rifles in my line-up. The last 308 left in my home (Savage 99) is going to get rebarreled to 358 Winchester. When hiking in the mountains, I like the smaller rifle, when hitting the rivers where less hiking is involved, I like the 9.3x62. I don't have to bridge any gap as the 9.3 and the 358 will do it all. Likewise, the 358 Winchester makes for a trim and smaller rifle that in my experience is almost as effective the the 9.3, but much smaller and lighter. I've been toting the 9.3 now for two hunting seasons, and mostly as bear protection in the spring and summer on the rivers. If I could veer you towards a specific 9.3, the two CZ carbine models with open sights make for a trim little rivah rifle. I usually keep mine slung across my back all day with an unloaded chamber and 5 in the mag. The 286 Nosler partition (IMO) is by far the best Alaskan Bullet for the modest velocity of the 9.3x62. It can expand reliably on smaller caribou n black bear, and then do the same for moose n grizz.

My old friend in Whitehorse calls his 9.3 "A 375 H&H with 5 in the magazine". I couldn't agree any further. Didn't get much hunting in this season, but took a tasty cow Caribou and then took pictures of Huge bulls for the remainder of the season, it always works that way doesn't it? I snapped two shots into the running caribou with the first hitting the lungs while the carbou was quartering towards me, and the second one nicking the rear of the heart while the cow continued towards the waters edge. Here's a picture of the exit wounds, no meat damage, and no blood shot damage to the heart either:

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm curious what the gap is between the .30-06 and .375 in your eyes (honest question). Are you talking caliber, velocity, practical effectiveness for???

I love the '06 case, but I've never been much on the '06. I've used it enough to know it's effective, but I've always felt it's the monkey wrench of cartridges--works for most anything, but there is a better tool for nearly every job. For my part, I hope to never be without at least one rifle in 25/06 (AI or not) and one in 35 Whelen. Many hunters consider them ho-hum, especially in the midst of short mag and über velocity cartridges, but IME they both offer excellent performance with minimal recoil and fuss.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm curious what the gap is between the .30-06 and .375 in your eyes (honest question). Are you talking caliber, velocity, practical effectiveness for???
    .375 - .308 = .067

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Do you live in Alaska? What do you mostly hunt? If you live in the lower 48, I'd bridge the gap between the 22 and the 30-06. I've always admired the 6.5 Swede and I think it'd be great for the lower 48. I find the 30-06 to be a boring cartridge, and almost as boring as my 308 Winchester. Over the years, I've cleared out most of the sub 30 caliber rifles in my line-up. The last 308 left in my home (Savage 99) is going to get rebarreled to 358 Winchester. When hiking in the mountains, I like the smaller rifle, when hitting the rivers where less hiking is involved, I like the 9.3x62. I don't have to bridge any gap as the 9.3 and the 358 will do it all. Likewise, the 358 Winchester makes for a trim and smaller rifle that in my experience is almost as effective the the 9.3, but much smaller and lighter. I've been toting the 9.3 now for two hunting seasons, and mostly as bear protection in the spring and summer on the rivers. If I could veer you towards a specific 9.3, the two CZ carbine models with open sights make for a trim little rivah rifle. I usually keep mine slung across my back all day with an unloaded chamber and 5 in the mag. The 286 Nosler partition (IMO) is by far the best Alaskan Bullet for the modest velocity of the 9.3x62. It can expand reliably on smaller caribou n black bear, and then do the same for moose n grizz.

My old friend in Whitehorse calls his 9.3 "A 375 H&H with 5 in the magazine". I couldn't agree any further. Didn't get much hunting in this season, but took a tasty cow Caribou and then took pictures of Huge bulls for the remainder of the season, it always works that way doesn't it? I snapped two shots into the running caribou with the first hitting the lungs while the carbou was quartering towards me, and the second one nicking the rear of the heart while the cow continued towards the waters edge. Here's a picture of the exit wounds, no meat damage, and no blood shot damage to the heart either:
    Yes, I am in AK. I am leaning strongly towards a 9.3X62 CZ 550 FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Get the Blaser R8 in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. Cost ya about $4200 for the whole package, assuming a med weight 9.3 with sights (which I have because here because its so cool).

By the way I think the 9.3 is the shiznitz. Very retro German 1914. As I just said to a member here...dead is dead and holes get punched, but doing it with le difference is where its at.
    I'm sure it would be nice, but it's a tad bit on the expensive side for me.

223 AI, 22-250 AI, or 243 AI. A 257 Weatherby would be a good choice as well.

I am already in the ballpark of the 6.5 with 2 different .277 cartridge choices and one .284 (soon to be 2 I hope if Kimber would get it in gear) nut if like you I didn't have those then that is the niche I would look to fill. The 6.5 swede would be a SWEET round to do it with! The 6.5 fills a larger gap in your arsenal than I think the 9.3 would.

That said one day I will have to build a 9.3 ROCK wildcat... http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/60759.htm