Thread: What's the deal with the S&W .500?

Default What's the deal with the S&W .500?

I was interested in getting a .500 4" but it seems like there are quite a few people getting rid of theirs. Anyone have any insight as to why? Poor accurarcy, too much kick, too expensive to shoot?

Hoping for some advice to help me make the right choice.

Thanks,

Steve

I am selling mine on the forum, and as I stated, it is because ammunition is expensive.

50 rds 230GR .45ACP $16.99 = $0.34/rd

20 rds 325GR 500SW $29.99 = $1.50/rd

I love to go out and shoot. And the S&W is fun to shoot(not including your buffalo bore hot loads) I just can not shell out the dollars knowing I can get more enjoyment out of a 45ACP or a 44Mag.

In regards to accuracy, it all depends on how much you shoot it. I was consistently hitting 16oz soda cans at 50 yards, and not too bad at 75.

Accuracy and workmanship were fine. It is a alot of money to shell out though every time you go to the range. As I stated, also in the sales forum, reloading will cut the cost down quite a bit, but not at the rate that I would like, and I am behind in my reloading as is.

I realized I am selling mine, and therefore my comments may be biased, but that is my honest opinion.

i know that they were having problems with them,a friend of mine is a dealer and sold one to his friend,S&W call him and told him to get the back that it could blow up.he left a message on his answering machine and the guy called back a few hours later and told him he was at the range and he shot the 500 S&W and the barrel blew off the frame and the frame blew up into 2 pieces.he was alright and didn`t get hurt,S&W got him a new gun,they said they had another company was making the barrels for the 500 and they didn`t make the metal mixture right making the barrels weak.this is what my dealer told me.

I thought about buying one. I have no good reason for it, just thought about it.

Then I played around and shot a couple. They are far too big to be practical. Not to mention overly expensive for what they are..
    Carry one with a snub nose barrel seems rather backwards.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Ive got the 4" model and have been shooting substantial load for over a year and have never had a problem. Accuracy is very good. The only problem ive had with it is with corbon factory loads jumping from the crimp and jambing the cylinder. I stopped using corbon and problem solved. I've used Barnes and Hornady extensively and no problems

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaster View Post
    i know that they were having problems with them,a friend of mine is a dealer and sold one to his friend,S&W call him and told him to get the back that it could blow up.he left a message on his answering machine and the guy called back a few hours later and told him he was at the range and he shot the 500 S&W and the barrel blew off the frame and the frame blew up into 2 pieces.he was alright and didn`t get hurt,S&W got him a new gun,they said they had another company was making the barrels for the 500 and they didn`t make the metal mixture right making the barrels weak.this is what my dealer told me.
    I deal in 500 ammo ( bullets anyway ) that I send out all over the US and beyond ( not Canada) and talk to guys and gals that have them ,the biggest complaint is the price of the loaded rounds compared to other types of hand gun ammo .
    It is outragous to say the least for what is asked for the loaded rounds but one should do his or her homework before a firearm is purchased .

S&W has had a recall of 460's and I never herd of any 500 models being recalled .
    I know alot of the 500's had to be sent back for cylinder problems .
    The 460 recall covered a certain amout of handguns in the PC Hunter type of 460 .
    The barrels were bad and not the frames .
    I am in contact with S&W quite often with the 500 and 460 and to my knowledge not one 500 or 460 has ever blown up !!!!

I have shot to date 9788 bullets out of my S&W PC Hunter and most of them are full house loads with 700 Grain bullets .
    The bore is just as bright as the day I bought it same goes with the frame very tight and a great trigger .

I have 50 plus customers that have doubled that amount with out a single problem .

I find these hand cannons very practical and yes they are big that is the way they are made BIG , that kind of goes along with being the biggest and baddest handgun .
    The price was just right because if it was overly expensive I would not of bought it !!!!
    If they were to cost 3 thoiusand dollars I would of still bought one because I wanted one and I am willing to pay to have one .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

i could be wrong about it but i think they were keeping a low profile on it and taking care of this to prevent lawsuits.when i talk to my dealer again i will ask him to make sure.

Thumbs up S&w 500

I got one for bear protection on canoe trips and wouldnt trade it in for the world. It offers great peace of mind. A wonderful gun with the smoothest action of any revolver I own. Accurate..... not overly, expensive......you bet. Would I go on a canoe trip without it...... hell no. You get what you pay for sometimes. I didnt get this gun to plink at the range. Who would??? This gun has a specific purpose. Very specific. As for barrels blowing up and such.... make your own mind. I have never heard of any S&W weapon malfunctioning like that. And the model 500 is as high quality as they make. I recently talked to S&W about customizing the gun some. I asked about an action job, perhaps tweaking the timing, they told me there was nothing they could do to the gun. It already comes "tweaked". They didnt turn down my money because they wanted to. There was nothing more they could do to the gun. I will send it off to have a lanyard ring installed. That shoud be mandatory on a gun for river trips. Dont listen to the others (or me). Go shoot one for yourself. If you do, you will buy it.

Sorry, I am with Ranger Rick on this. I never heard of a S&W 500 blowing up. Me thinks your dealer is spewing bad information.

That being said I love both of mine. I have a 4inch and a PC model. I think what happened is a lot of people jumped on them when they first came out and they didnt have a clue what they were getting into. It became cool to tell your buddies you were shooting a 500
    After the fanfare died down the rookies started selling em off rather quickly.
    It takes practice to become good with a heavy recoiling revolver and practice means shooting alot of rounds. If you dont reload you better be rich.
    Tennessee

had a client hunting blackies with his sw 460 and i liked that gun alot better than the 500 i shot, not because of recoil but because i've got smaller size hands and big revolvers never fit in my hand very well making htem uncomfortable to shoot.

Just because you've never heard of one blowing up, don't mean one hasn't. thats not excatly information they add in their blog's. only zumbo shoots himself in the foot....

for my purposes i've yet to feel the need for a hand cannon, i've got a 10mm 1911 that i carry when i need something with bullets and a short barrell and i feel fine with it, shot a few big game animals with it as well. not the greatest, biggest, most spendy or mathmaticly best bear back up ever, but i've yet to run into a bear that new any math...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 500 s&w

I really like my .500, it shoots well. It is a great reason to start reloading if you don't already. It will definately de-rail a brown bear, which is the only reason to pack one around any way. Load up some lighter rounds to get comfortable with it, if ur concerned about recoil. My 15 yr old daughter does pretty well w/ 325 gr. barnes x; after shooting that load she's not afraid of the gun. We got pass-throughs shooting an 8 1/2 ft brownie @ 60 yrds using 500 gr hard-cast a couple of years ago; I think a good 450 gr. semi jacketed would do a better job.

Default Thanks for the info guys, I am still stuck

I am ready to plunk down the money to finally get a new revolver and am stuck between the Ruger 480 and the S&W 500. It just seemed to concern me that I have seen far more 500s being resold than the 480s and was wondering if there was a particular reason.

The 500 is attractive due to is shorter length but the weight is almost the same as a 480. So I though I could just buy the 480 and have it cut down but now the cost is the same as the 500.

The 500 seems like a better build revolver, but no one has complained about the 480 either. I just cant seem to make up my mind.

Like most things the research is half the fun but I am getting close to making the purchase, just don't want to regret a near $1K investement.

As far as the quality of either the Ruger or the S&W, the S&W wins hands down.
    I love Ruger revolvers. I think they are built like a tank and accurate. But there actions and trigger pulls are not as good as an out of the box S&W. The Ruger action can be made as good but this requires you either spend more money or that you are very qualified with honing stones.
    Tennessee

Why more 500s for sale than 480s? I'd venture a guess that S&W has sold a lot more 500s. I know several other guys that have 500 mags. I don't know anyone with a 480. I even know a guy who sold his 500. It wasn't because he didn't like the gun, he just needed the money for something else.

I have a 4" 500 mag. I wouldn't consider selling it. It's a single purpose gun and that purpose isn't plinking so I don't care how much ammo costs.

I had a 4" 500 and it was a really nice pistol. Ammo was expensive but not any more than really good 44 mag ammo. The main reason I sold it was that even though I had the 500, I always found myself carrying my 4" 629. I have an excellent chest holster for the 629 and ease of carry was definately the deciding factor. The 500 is HEAVY, no way around it. Maybe if I had a better more comfortable carry holster for it I would have had more use for it. Since its been gone, I haven't really missed it though.

Heavy? My 5" 629 stainless weighs 45 1/2 oz. My 4" 500 mag weighs 56 oz. Is the additional punch delivered by the 500 worth the extra 10 1/2 oz to carry? That's a subjective question. It's worth it to me.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

Just because you've never heard of one blowing up, don't mean one hasn't. thats not excatly information they add in their blog's. only zumbo shoots himself in the foot....

I have received 3 notices from S&W to return 3 of their 460 PC firearms that were purchased for some of my customers. I have not received a single notice from S&W to return a single 500 S&W. So I guess that means that none have blown up.

Default buy a 454

Get yourself a Ruger super-red-hawk in 454 Casull. As good a sleeping bag companion as the 500S&W and it will also shoot 45 Long colt.
    FYI, I also have small hands and the Hogue grips from the ruger store did the trick to tame the beast.