Thread: Older dog obedience training

Default Older dog obedience training

A girl from my unit is deploying soon, and instead of letting her pay thousands of dollars on dog boarding. And not letting her get rid of her daughters dog, I told her I would take it while she is gone. She dropped the dog off today, and said she is an 8 year old lab. After spending a little time with this old girl I can tell she has had no obedience training. I had her heeling in about 10 minutes today just walking her around the yard. But she doesn't know how to sit, stay, lay down, or any of the basics. Do I go about training this dog like I would a young dog. Or are there better ways for older dogs? Is it wise to collar condition her? I don't plan to hunt this dog, but I would like her to be a good citizen while she is living in my house. Any tips or pointers for training older dogs?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Unless you are adept at collar work already, I'd say no. And likely the owner will not have a collar either. I'd treat her like a pup w/ bad habits, treat her fairly, and be consistent. I bet she is a good girl, wants to please, and will learn quickly. Heeling in 10 minutes proves that point. She may not be trained to heel, but picked it up and will continue to improve daily.
    I wonder if treats might keep her more interested in what you are doing?
    Kudos for taking the dog in and helping out.
    ARR

I wouldn't to to a collar at the moment either. A month of regular obedience work should get her to where you need her for the length of the deployment. She's new to you and may not realize she's supposed to work for you AND your commands and body signals are probably different than what she knows.

Default dog obedience

Dogs let go quickly, The owners are usually the ones that have trouble changing. Since you are a new figure in her life it should be fairly easy to establish yourself as the boss. Do as ARR says, act like she is a new pup and be ultra consistent. Lots of exercise will help her focus, I wouldn't try treats right away, but there are a hundred ways to skin a cat. I'll second the kudos for taking the dog in and helping out.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

download a few episodes of the dog whisperer from your favorite place.

"rules, boundries and limitations" are the key - cesar millan