Thread: Is it too late to start gathering wild plants/mushrooms??

Default Is it too late to start gathering wild plants/mushrooms??

I'm wondering if I've missed the boat this year on gathering wild plants since I got to Anchorage so late in the year. I'm in the Anchorage area, and wondering if there are any good places to scout for mushrooms. I'm also interested in looking for the labrador plant for tea if anyone knows of a place to find it around here. I had a lot of it in Nome last year, but haven't seen it around here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps we could take a forum picking trip if the weather still permits.

Unfortunately I don't live in Anchorage, but I can verify that labrador tea is still good. It's flavor stays good long after it dies so you can dig it up even in the middle of the winter if you'd like. Also depending on the snow cover there may still be mint available, and highbush cranberries are good well into December. I live in Western Alaska so I lack any information what-so-ever on where you can find these in the Anchorage area, but I hope I helped with some insight of what wild plants are still edible. The tea usually grows on the tundra, so look for open flat areas, then search for mounds of lichen (they usually grow there). Highbush cranberries like the shade, so anywhere with semi-dense trees (like a cottonwood grove) will usually have them. Mint grows almost anywhere where there are trees as well, just search the ground- it doesn't grow very tall and should still be green.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by carlsdrivein View Post
    . . I'm also interested in looking for the labrador plant for tea if anyone knows of a place to find it around here. I had a lot of it in Nome last year, but haven't seen it around here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Perhaps we could take a forum picking trip if the weather still permits.
    Too late for 'shrooms, I suspect. If you're on the Kenai Peninsula, the Kelly/Peterson and Watson lake campground areas have lots of Labrador tea . . lots of the dwarf variety but lots of the larger variety also. Not too late for that.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will continue keeping an eye out for somethings to grub on now.

It's too late to find wild mushrooms (too cold), but it's never too late to look for the habitat where wild mushrooms will grow, when the time arrives. In the Anchorage area, look for the largest stands of mature cottonwood and spruce trees that you can find. Those areas will produce wild mushrooms (morels, boletes, chanterelles) next year. Morels and oysters in May, chanterelles in summer, and boletes in early fall. Mark those areas on a topo map, go back there next year, and see what is sprouting.