Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: meat processors around Anchorage?

Default meat processors around Anchorage?

So anyone know of a quality meat processor around Anchorage or the Valley that doesn't take a month to grind 200lbs of hamburger? Two years in a row now, I've used a 'reputable' butcher just south of Anchorage to grind and bag moose burger. As of today, its been 4 weeks and still no word on when it will be done. How that place stays in business is beyond my comprehension. I had no choice but to use these guys again this year. After last year I swore I wouldn't give them another dime.

Earlier this fall/summer I found a guy on the north end of town just off Muldoon that ground caribou for me, but he apparently has a 'list' for the rest of the year when he gets busy. If you don't make the 'list' you're SOL.

At this point I think I'll be buying or renting a grinder and taking care of it myself.

A friggn month to grind and wrap burger? I know of 5 others that have been waiting over a month to get their meat back from the same place.

I took a cow moose to Mike's Meats in Eagle River. I had the tenderloins and backstraps cut into steaks, the ribs made into short ribs, and everything else ground (30lbs of that made into breakfast sausage). It was done in less than 2 weeks.

Do it yourself. Much more fulfilling knowing you handled it from beginning to end.

Try Pioneer Meats. She does a nice job and you get your meat back. Novel concept, eh?

http://pioneermeatsofalaska.com/Home_Page.html
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Grind it yourself or go with Pioneer Meats like spoiled one said she does an outstanding job and you get it back quick and it is well taken care of unlike some other places around here.

I have heard good things about the place on Muldoon but be very specific about how much fat you want added in.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Do it yourself. Much more fulfilling knowing you handled it from beginning to end.
    Or get your Mom to take care of it?

Note to self: Take back bronc's half of the burger.
    I second Pioneer for making specialty stuff, but when it comes to burger, buy a good grinder and get it done. It's a good investment and simple to do. Get a bulk roll of butcher paper and bulk roll of plastic wrap at Sam's. Get a reel with cutting edge for the paper and grind and package away! Put some tunes on if that helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Note to self: Take back bronc's half of the burger.
    I second Pioneer for making specialty stuff, but when it comes to burger, buy a good grinder and get it done. It's a good investment and simple to do. Get a bulk roll of butcher paper and bulk roll of plastic wrap at Sam's. Get a reel with cutting edge for the paper and grind and package away! Put some tunes on if that helps too.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

In all seriousness grinding your own is very easy and doesn't take much time at all. You can either add beef fat or pork fat or nothing at all besides the natural fat that was on your harvested game meat. Alaska Butcher Supply rents grinders by the day for a reasonable amount.

You can also buy the bags for burger from AK Butcher supply that hold either one lb or 2 lbs of burger which makes packaging very simple. I had never tried these till the last go around and will never go back to butcher paper.

Place in Muldoon did my Sheep several years ago and my Ft Rich Moose this year, I had to wait 2 days to drop Moose but he does an awesome job. Glenn S Wild Game Processing.

Quote Originally Posted by MorsunRX View Post
    Place in Muldoon did my Sheep several years ago and my Ft Rich Moose this year, I had to wait 2 days to drop Moose but he does an awesome job. Glenn S Wild Game Processing.
    He told us he couldn't take my moose because he was too busy. Can't hate the man for working. Ended up taking it to Mike's, like I said, less than 2 week turnaround and some of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had.

I too have had good luck with Mikes, in the Spring he does Bear in a week or less.

Get yourself a grinder and do it yourself.

Another reccomendation for Glen's.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Sorry couldn't resist.

In all seriousness grinding your own is very easy and doesn't take much time at all. You can either add beef fat or pork fat or nothing at all besides the natural fat that was on your harvested game meat. Alaska Butcher Supply rents grinders by the day for a reasonable amount.

You can also buy the bags for burger from AK Butcher supply that hold either one lb or 2 lbs of burger which makes packaging very simple. I had never tried these till the last go around and will never go back to butcher paper.
    When we are butchering our game, we have a few 5 gallon buckets lined with bags... mistakes and scraps go in the buckets.. When done we weight the buckets.. then go to Fred's and buy enough beef suet to give us about 7% of the burger... We have our own grinder, with sausage attachments, etc., etc., The last few years we have always vacuum packed our burger and breakfast sausage in what we estimate to be 2 lb pkgs... but I kinda like Bronco's suggestion on the 2 lb burger bags... The tunes are a good idea, provided you have a few bottles of AK Amber to go with the grinding/pkging...!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Try Pioneer Meats. She does a nice job and you get your meat back. Novel concept, eh?

http://pioneermeatsofalaska.com/Home_Page.html
    I second Pioneer Meat. We are getting ready to take some meat there tomorrow for hotdogs and sticks. Other than that we grind it ourselves.

Invest in a good grinder and grind the meat your self. You can pull out frist grind for chili meat and then do the rest any way you want. We have a smaller 1/3 hp grinder that was used in a meat shop 40 years ago and it still works good. We invested in a 3/4hp cuber several years ago and it has been used a lot. We use a lot of cube steak just like we use a lot of hamburger.
    If all else fails, Pioneer Meats is a hard place to beat.

I do my burger grinding myself, but before we started doing that we would get our burger ground at Alaska Sausage and Seafood. Contrary to what some say, they do guarantee that you get your own meat back with burger and raw sausage grinding. I've never had to wait more than a week at Alaska Sausage except for specialty products like hunter sticks that take additional time for drying/curing. If I were still having someone else do my grinding, that's where I'd go. As others have mentioned, though, Alaska Butcher Supply can get you set up and running pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Grind it yourself or go with Pioneer Meats like spoiled one said she does an outstanding job and you get it back quick and it is well taken care of unlike some other places around here.

I have heard good things about the place on Muldoon but be very specific about how much fat you want added in.
    Sure liked the products that Pioneer puts out! Is there anyone else besides Indian Valley that makes jalepeno/cheese dogs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast