Thread: Tenana River Canoeing

Default Tenana River Canoeing

Can anyone give me some information about a trip I'm looking at maybe doing next summer. I want to put into the Tenana around Eilson AFB. There is a tributary a couple of miles down river that cuts off from the Tenana and runs parallel until it runs back into her about 45 miles upstream from Nenana. It's much smaller obviously than the main river and I want to know as much as possible about it. Please advise!

A tributary that cuts off and then runs back in? Do you mean a slough or channel? You are going to have to be more specific. South or north side

Pipercub - I figured out that it is the Salchaket Slough. Is it navigable all the way through? Any info you have on it would be great! Float speed in m.p.h.? Thanks.

The Salchaket flows at close to the same speed as the Tanana. Close to 5 mph. It dumps in to the Tanana 4 or 5 miles below Fairbanks. Should be pretty easy to float. A few more sweepers up at the top end. Toward the bottom end there is a creek that comes in on the left. Military has a small white shelter up in a clearing on the down stream side. Their contribution after tearing down
    the cabins that used to be there. Note: Stay to right coming down stream, the left is a little shallower. Have fun.