Thread: Need advice for new trailer for 2175 Jetcraft Extreme Shallow...

Default Need advice for new trailer for 2175 Jetcraft Extreme Shallow...

Hi Everyone-

I have a single axle ez-loader trailer with roller bunk that has been modified to hold boat low on trailer so that I can park in my garage.. Well, the rear cross support that holds the rollers hits the ground on occasion and i have also mangled a few of the rollers loading boat....and destroyed that cross member that hangs low.. So, Im looking to change trailer and or cross members and maybe get rid of rollers..

What is advantage of double axle trailer? I don't haul the boat more than 250 miles maybe once a year..

Are roller beds preferred over bunks for our boats? Im going to get a new trailer with different cross members I just don't know if I need the rollers or not.. The boat is easy to launch with the rollers I just tend to bend and break the supports that the rollers are mounted to... I have to load boat in swift water and entry onto trailer can be less than "ideal" at times..

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

In almost every case I would opt for bunks over rollers. While your boat is lighter than my last, I have seen rollers put stress in the floors, which eventually brought on cracks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    In almost every case I would opt for bunks over rollers. While your boat is lighter than my last, I have seen rollers put stress in the floors, which eventually brought on cracks.
    Agreed. Dual axles offer a safety margin as well. They seem to tow straighter and are more stable. Plus having two tires per side gives you a little cushion if you have a flat to find a safe area to pull over and change a tire.
    Tennessee

Ditto what both of them have said so far. Plus I know the single axle trailers the dealers put these boats on are basically overloaded when the boat is empty with a full fuel tank. Granted our roads are rough as all get out but dual axles with bunks are overall the best setup for these boats.

thanks for this information. I currently have an EZ Loader trailer.. what other trailer manufacturers are out there that are excellent build quality?

I noticed that the tag on my trailer says 2800lbs max! I thought my boat, with 35 gallons of gas and light fishing tackle would weight in at like 2500 + lbs... does not seem like much room to spare...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    thanks for this information. I currently have an EZ Loader trailer.. what other trailer manufacturers are out there that are excellent build quality?

I noticed that the tag on my trailer says 2800lbs max! I thought my boat, with 35 gallons of gas and light fishing tackle would weight in at like 2500 + lbs... does not seem like much room to spare...

M.
    Since you live on the east coast you could explore custom trailer builders which are often cheaper. Doubt you need a galvanized trailer. Many options to pick from just don't have someone tell you there trailer has 2,500 pound axles (just an example) and call it good. Trailers can only carry as much as their weakest links, and that is usually the rating of the tires. Get a trailer with a lot of capacity to carry extra gear and tires rated higher than you need and your life will be happier. Fewer blow outs, longer hub and bearing life, etc.
    Tennessee

King saltwater trailers are pretty bomber. As stated above, duel axel with two pair of bunks.