Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Tides Site

Default Mobile Tides Site

Hi, we just launched a new mobile friendly tide site and we are interested in getting any feedback we can get. We recently released “tides nearest me” and “current tide height”. We will be updating the site on a weekly basis and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! www.tidehub.com

Lauren,
    pr@tidehub.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidehub View Post
    Hi, we just launched a new mobile friendly tide site and we are interested in getting any feedback we can get. We recently released “tides nearest me” and “current tide height”. We will be updating the site on a weekly basis and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! www.tidehub.com

Lauren,
    pr@tidehub.com
    I'm sure I'm not alone here, but I have a "bookmark" on my computer and cell phone to the tide table that I use the most (Seldovia, AK) so I only have to click on it and I can instantly see what's going on. Not to mention I have a tide table book in my truck, next to my couch, in my boat and in the pocket of the vest I use to fish in. I appreciate your efforts, but I don't really have any need for it.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

[QUOTE=tidehub;1026907]Hi, we just launched a new mobile friendly tide site and we are interested in getting any feedback we can get. We recently released “tides nearest me” and “current tide height”. We will be updating the site on a weekly basis and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! www.tidehub.com

well, I went to your web site, clicked on Tides nearest us, and it couldn't find us
    clicked on USA, then Alaska, and you seem to have overlooked Cook Inlet as well as Prince Wm Sound, the two most popular recreational boating areas in the whole bleepin state... Along with what Mutley says... I carry an up to date tide book in my boat, in my tackle box, in my tool box, in my truck, and in one or more jackets... (Never leave home without one)... I don't think looking for tides on your website are that convenient.... Before I'd go searching for your web site, I'd go to NOAA's web site where they already have the tides posted... I suppose this sounds a little negative, but you asked for my thoughts, and you got em...

i have a tide app on my phone that gives tables for the month, state of the tide at any time,rate of water movement at half a dozen stations in k-bay as well as sunrise/sunset, and can show that for any day past, present or future at the touch of a screen, wherever i am. (almost.... darned AT&T!)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i have a tide app on my phone that gives tables for the month, state of the tide at any time,rate of water movement at half a dozen stations in k-bay as well as sunrise/sunset, and can show that for any day past, present or future at the touch of a screen, wherever i am. (almost.... darned AT&T!)
    Me thinks that GCI gets much better coverage, despite the fact that I am not that impressed with their business acumen. But I won't go into that!

Dave can you tell me more about the tide app you have on your phone? Where and how did you get it on your phone? Is your phone just a normal phone or is it one of those smarter than me phones. I have ACS and have very good coverage, the girls in the Homer store are good to work with, but if you call their 800# for help, they are not much help.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I have gci, it sucks, I will go back to acs when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Dave can you tell me more about the tide app you have on your phone? Where and how did you get it on your phone? Is your phone just a normal phone or is it one of those smarter than me phones. I have ACS and have very good coverage, the girls in the Homer store are good to work with, but if you call their 800# for help, they are not much help.
    The one i use is tidegraph 2.4 for iphone. probably available for android too.

tidehub, you are waaaay behind the 8-ball, man. Apps are where it is at today. I bet you still use CDs, too.

I just downloaded the free app ''Marine Weather by Bluefin'' to my android. Pretty cool tool. It gives the marine forecast, tides, and a lot more. Just another tool.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I an app called "Tide Chart" for my Android phone (HTC Hero). If you have a 'droid phone just do a search in the Android Market for "Tide Chart" and you can choose what area you want to have. I use Seldovia. Or you can just bookmark the NOAA tide chart site for whatever area you are interested in and just click on the bookmark. The nice thing about "Tide Chart" is it shows the cycles graphically which can be nice. And it's free. I couldn't find Tidechart 2.4 in the Android Market.

I've had people on my boat out past Pogi that couldn't get coverage with AT&T and I could with my GCI phone. I've had some minor general problems with GCI, but whenever I've had problems with my cell phone I've called tech support and they've always fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

I've had people on my boat out past Pogi that couldn't get coverage with AT&T and I could with my GCI phone. I've had some minor general problems with GCI, but whenever I've had problems with my cell phone I've called tech support and they've always fixed the problem.
    I use three apps mainly for my iphone.

Fishhead for freshwater stream information though it does have the tides. For simplicity I use tidegraph.

But like Muttley says, its a bummer when you don't have reception. In those case on the saltwater I use navionics US west version. It as a decent bathymetric charts and tides and currents. It loads everything into your memory so it is a memory hog. Also for the tides and currents you have to know where to look on the charts since it puts the letters "c" and "t" where they supposedly are saying the data is for. It takes some getting used to but its not a big deal once you know where to look. The other drawback is its something like $15. But its the best $15 I have spent for a app. The map is of Anchor Point area. You can see the "c" for current and "t" for tides. then when you touch the letters the following graphs come up and you can slide it to change the dates.

I have the same Navionics charts on my plotter and they work great, just thought it would be nice to have info on cell phone when planning the next days trip and not on the boat. I'm going to have to check, but I do not think my phone will support this kind of info. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

if you load tidegraph before you lose reception it will hold the data all day.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    if you load tidegraph before you lose reception it will hold the data all day.
    Really? Did not know that. Great tip! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I use three apps mainly for my iphone.

Fishhead for freshwater stream information though it does have the tides. For simplicity I use tidegraph.

But like Muttley says, its a bummer when you don't have reception. In those case on the saltwater I use navionics US west version. It as a decent bathymetric charts and tides and currents. It loads everything into your memory so it is a memory hog. Also for the tides and currents you have to know where to look on the charts since it puts the letters "c" and "t" where they supposedly are saying the data is for. It takes some getting used to but its not a big deal once you know where to look. The other drawback is its something like $15. But its the best $15 I have spent for a app. The map is of Anchor Point area. You can see the "c" for current and "t" for tides. then when you touch the letters the following graphs come up and you can slide it to change the dates.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!

I used that ''Marine Weather by Bluefin'' app earlier in the season.Are you able to dial in specific location? It appeard to me I was only able to get information on the shaded pink areas which was more generic.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    tidehub, you are waaaay behind the 8-ball, man. Apps are where it is at today. I bet you still use CDs, too.

I just downloaded the free app ''Marine Weather by Bluefin'' to my android. Pretty cool tool. It gives the marine forecast, tides, and a lot more. Just another tool.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I used that ''Marine Weather by Bluefin'' app earlier in the season.Are you able to dial in specific location? It appeard to me I was only able to get information on the shaded pink areas which was more generic.
    I've got it on my android phone and have it set for Kachemak Bay, but I don't remember how I set it.

I think so. My screen shows many little diamonds to click on. It shows the tides for that particular area. Not sure what I did to get the diamonds to show up, though.

Okay, I think I figured it out. There's a video [click menu and then more, and finally help] explaining how to set up and it looks like areas are controlled uner the "layers" feature. Thanks.

Okay, I think I figured it out. There's a video [click menu and then more, and finally help] explaining how to set up and it looks like areas are controlled uner the "layers" feature. Thanks.
    Yep. I was just playing around with it and "refound" it as well. Looks pretty cool when you use the satellite images, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast