Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which boat for the money?

Question Which boat for the money?

Thinking long-term, we would like a boat with a SU head, cuddy, small galley, but not as important. Would like room for four adults, plus 1-2 kids. Usually will be us plus our teens and our youngest, thus the cuddy. We retire in 12-15 years, and by then may be close to paying off a boat, so buying a retirement boat now (we will be in our 50s) is the thought. (Comments welcome about that rationale. The thought of the large debt is eating our brains. We also just want to enjoy this time with our kids before they are gone, so what the hell? Spend it now before we get cancer, etc.)

Were considering 22' Hewes Searunner, but have realized we need more room. Now, are considering the Hewes 26' Pacific Cruiser. The cuddy plus dinette space, and eventually adding the extended cover from Silverstreak will provide the camping space we need. Seems tough enough inside the cabin to hold up to camping/fishing/hunting, good safety record, warrantees. Dewey's puts twin 115s on these, but we might opt for twin 150s. We might save gas if we don't. We will be fully loaded if we have kids, equipment, food, water, fish, and a dog. Hmmm.

Is there another boat we should consider in the same price range that meets our criteria? Suggestions? We are hoping to be in the water by Summer 2012.

If it were me I would think bigger, as in bigger boat. I have 28 ft Kingfisher that is 9.5 ft wide (cabin is about a foot wider than the hews) and with My wife and I, our two young boys and a dog we are cramped. We are going to add a full cover to the back to make more room... If you want something for 4 adults and then 2 kids and a dog, I would want something 28 ft minimum.

Another piece of advise, buy used. Let someone else take the hit. I saved 50-60K on my boat vs new and mine was 3 years old and had 115 hours on it.

We are essentially doing what you are talking about. Taking the debt and making the payments on something so we can enjoy it with our kids and let them have the experience I had growing up.

When looking for a used boat, if you decide to, be sure to search the whole US. I found lots of nice boats in other places that I was considering.

Good luck.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Pardon my ignorance, but if considering a boat out of state or in another part of the state, how does one check it out? Or transport it? How can you be sure of its seaworthiness and mechanical state? I suppose this is worth a plane ticket? But, taking the time off of work is not necessarily an option at this time.

Is it best to wait until spring to get them in the water before you buy? Oct/Nov might not be the best time to decide.

Since it appears you are looking for an ocean boat it can be pretty simple to test them anytime of the year if the owner is willing, and they should be considering they are trying to sell it.

Transporting is easy. Either put it on the barge and write a check or drive down and haul it back.

Big boats require big trucks. If you are not leaving the boat in a slip all summer make sure you have a truck capable of towing and launching the boat.

JR2 offered some great advice, unless you need a new boat built to your specs go used and save a ton of cash. With some shopping on craigslist bet you can find a 3-4 year old boat for anywhere from 35-50% off what the same rig would cost new.
    Tennessee

Everyone here is giving great advise so far. I'd do like JR2 said, look for a used boat. You will let them take the hit on depreciation of it. I would try and find a 28x9'5 minimum for what you're wanting to do with it. from what I noticed, on a 26 PC with head, even if you put an enclosed canvas top on the back you will still be hard pressed to sleep anyone taller than 6 foot on it. My old 22 searunner has a fishing deck that was the same size if not a little bigger and I couldn't fit a cot on it to sleep anyone. If you still want to buy brand new, I would go with twin 150's because you can get the boat on plane if you crap a motor out. Or go with a big single and a high thrust kicker, (that's a whole different can of worms).

Hewescraft makes a good production boat, but for the price of a new one you could get a whole lot more boat if you bought a few year old used boat.

Just my .02 cents.
    Ken

Does anyone up in Ak run Stabicrafts at all?
    I saw a few when I was in New Zealand last fall, and they are super nice boats.
    If I was to get a boat for lakes/ocean only, I think a Stabicraft would be top of my list.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Does anyone up in Ak run Stabicrafts at all?
    I saw a few when I was in New Zealand last fall, and they are super nice boats.
    If I was to get a boat for lakes/ocean only, I think a Stabicraft would be top of my list.
    They are a safe boat, but are lacking interior space. Four adults and a couple of little shavers really require a 9.5' beam at the minimum. Mine is 30 x 10 and it gets small after a week on the water. Throw wind and rain into the mix and it is time to head back to port or grab a the bottle of port.

You really should throw the wooldridges into the mix. I have a friend with the 24 footer and another with the 26 footer. Both are 8.5 beams and they seem to have a lot more interior room than the competition. Their 29 footer has a 9.5 foot beam. For the price of any of these guys, one could have their own custom alloy boat made. Probably not by next spring, but it is something to consider.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Would help to know your budget for the boat. Boaters love to surf and will pass along any good looking buys to you in your price range.

Also, have a realistic expectation of how much fuel you will be using if you buy the boat. More than a few people bought nice boats that they could not afford to run

If we haul our 24 foot Sea Sport to Homer and back with our diesel Ford, fish for the day, bait, launch fee's, a meal or two we can easily spend $400 total.
    Tennessee

Here is one of ColdWaterBoats 31's , they make inboard and outboard power boats [ www.coldwaterboats.com ] Should have a 28 or 29 footer showing up VERY soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, looking at details...
    We can spend about $700-800 per month. I'd like to include insurance with that, but haven't investigated.
    We won't make lots of daytrips driving. It will be more trips out on the boat for a few days at at time, and we will be on the boat one way or another most of the summer from May to August.

We looked at a used boat today, pretty much what we want, but five years old. It is loaded with gear and a raft with a 2.5 kicker, etc. etc. Nice boat, but right at that age that things are going to need maintenance. We are also going to be right at the cusp of taking out a little longer loan. If we buy a new boat, spend $20K more, we get the new boat, the longer loan, the warrantees, the lifetime hull, and don't have to figure out what needs replacing or fixing just as things begin to go wrong or get worn out, all for less than $100 more per month. So, for what we are looking at, $580 per month used, versus $671. That is $91 month difference. We pay for 5 years more, but by 15 years from now we may not even have the boat! Who knows?

Yes, that is just one boat, but same price range: $70K used, versus $95K new. That is taking 10% down off the loan amount.
    Feel free to correct my math. Interest rates are 6.8% for 15 years, 7.25% for 20. Not much difference.

Gear is another story. Beg, borrow, look on Craigslist. I'm sure we can come up with gear one way or another, and it might take a few years to gather it all the way we like it.

Am I thinking wrong?

to me, pretty much sounds like you know what you want. It's just a matter of going out and finding the "one". On another note. your monthly boat payment is just the cost of owning the boat, operating the boat will be a separate bill, probably bigger than the payment for the boat, but I am sure you are already considering that. I have some reservations about owning a 28x10.5 boat with twin screws.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    to me, pretty much sounds like you know what you want. It's just a matter of going out and finding the "one". On another note. your monthly boat payment is just the cost of owning the boat, operating the boat will be a separate bill, probably bigger than the payment for the boat, but I am sure you are already considering that. I have some reservations about owning a 28x10.5 boat with twin screws.
    We don't want a wide load. Just what we can hook up to our 2500HD. I think, realistically, we need to decide which 26-28 ft/ 8-9ft beam is the best buy for our purposes. And, no, I am not sure what the daily expenses will be to add to the monthly ones! I know that the tank will be $500 to fill. At 150 gal, I'm not sure where that will get me for 10-13mpg. This is all new. Launching fees, registration. All of it. We are just taking a leap of faith and following a dream. We may learn some hard lessons, but we have good friends. Fill me in...

Some of the cost you'll see, you've already mentioned. Launch, parking and if you go to whittier you can add tunnel fees. Also, you'll spend some money on bait, food, metal to use for jigging. If you don't want to go oversized you're looking at 8'6 wide or less. And as for the 10-13 mpg, depending on a lot of things you'll see on average 2.5ish mpg, you may see 10-13 GPH if you have a large main motor. If you with twin 150's you'll see around 15-20 GPH depending on what RPMs you run your motors at. If you want to stay at the 26-26 and 8'6 beam take a real good look at wooldridge or duckworth. I'm not saying Hewescraft is a bad boat but those other 2 boats fit and finish hands down are way better. Lots of knowledge on this forum, just gotta ask as you go. We all are willing to help ya out.

Who sells Wooldridge in the Anchorage/Kenai area?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaPickle View Post
    Who sells Wooldridge in the Anchorage/Kenai area?
    Be VERY CAREFUL!!!!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Be VERY CAREFUL!!!!
    +1 forum rules won't let us say why... Marita off of debarr is the wooldridge dealer, I'd recommend going there and crawling around when they have one in, then go factory direct and order the boat that way.

Yes, I was overcome with a sense of dread as I followed some unmentionable retail links. Blech.

On another note, it seems there are no Wooldridge 26' Pilothouse models to peek at. Too bad the tank is only 100 gal Didn't see marine head on 26' either. Would have to check further, as you can't always read it right.

Northridge didn't seem to have the creature comforts of marine head/ small galley that equate to tax write-off. Do like Northridge, however. Points for rugged durability!

Alaska Pickle, I can give you a few opinions from experience. If you are looking at a 15% difference between new and used boats, you are not looking hard enough. Based on what I have seen it would be more like 25 to 35% when you consider everything. I personally know more than a few guys who are interested in selling their boats at that kind of pricing. Consider that when you buy a new boat, the electronics are either not included or bottom-barrel quality. Then the pot puller, canvas, inflatable and motor, stereo or tv, Espar heater, other niceties that owners generally install and you will find that you will spend $20k to $30k more when you are done. Also you may want to broaden your search to fiberglass boats too. Many nice ones out there and there are plenty of guys who like them doing the same things that you intend to do. That will also give you more options when looking at used boats.

Good luck in your shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaPickle View Post
    Yes, I was overcome with a sense of dread as I followed some unmentionable retail links. Blech.

On another note, it seems there are no Wooldridge 26' Pilothouse models to peek at. Too bad the tank is only 100 gal Didn't see marine head on 26' either. Would have to check further, as you can't always read it right.

Northridge didn't seem to have the creature comforts of marine head/ small galley that equate to tax write-off. Do like Northridge, however. Points for rugged durability!
    Alaskapickle,

If your referring to North River, the creature comforts are available in a 26'x8.5' OS. They include HD Mariner Helm seat, cabinet aft of helm w/ sink an 10 gallon fresh water tank, Wallac 85DU diesel stove with blower lid for cabin heat, Norcold refrigerator, portside dinette with reversible front seat, stand up flushing head portside aft of dinette. Comes with shore power 30amp setup and 3ea Group 27 batteries. A North River with this cabin set up runs ~ $93K + power options. Contrary to what some say, when you buy a new boat, you can have installed any electronics package you would like. Optional items such as a built in pot puller or ez-anchor puller can be installed for a fraction of what it would cost if you wanted them installed later. With 170 gallon fuel tank it should give you plenty of range with twin 150s and an even greater range with a single diesel. I'd feel more comfortable with twins if your planning long excursions offshore.

I agree with many that there's usually some good used boats out there available for a much less but finding one that fits your needs can be an exercise in frustration. When you buy new, you also have the comfort of knowing your not getting something run hard or abused as well.

Good luck on your search!

[QUOTE

![/QUOTE]

The Wooldridge 26' Pilothouse is available with a 150 gallon fuel tank and a stand-up head. If you would like to take a peek at the 26' Pilothouse, click on this link............http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catal.../ss-pilothouse- Click on the video tab then watch 26' Pilothouse walk-thru.- Glen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast