Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Kings from my Kayak - 10/22/2011

Default Homer Kings from my Kayak - 10/22/2011

I will post a video later this afternoon! I got to get out the door!

So inspired by this post...sorry for hijacking this thread Jim! And some great info from Homer Dave:
    Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Great boat:

Plus great captain:

Plus great fish:

Equals a great time.

Homer was nice and quiet with all the summer traffic gone. Life does not get much better than fresh feeder king on the grill.

Doug

For the first time EVER, I try feeder kings out of Homer. I had gotten intel from various sources that tell me the Kings are close to the spit. Sources say troll from Land's End Hotel out to the Green Buoy.

So is it winter yet? I guess not. I think even here in Alaska they consider October as late autumn. When is winter? Officially its Dec 21. But this is Alaska. I think November is considered winter here. So I can't claim to have caught a winter king yet. But this year I have caught a Spring King (May), Summer king (July), now a fall King in October! Only one more season to go!

But with the recent weather, I dress for winter fearing the worst. Check the forecast and its only calling for one footers. Really? This time of year? I had been SUPER excited about trying Kings in the winter time. My imagination probably got the better part of me and I was thinking it might be my version of the Deadliest Catch but with a kayak and Kings instead of crab.

So I arrive in Homer and I stare across the water in disbelief. Maybe I missed the ocean somehow because this looks a LOT more like a lake. I have to say it was probably the first time EVER that I was just a little disappointed that the conditions were so good. I had psyched myself up for a rodeo in 3 to 5 foot swells with snow falling around me. Instead I got perfectly flat, calm, and sunny. I definitely had too many layers of clothes on! Oh well, they say you should dress for immersion in the water and not the air temperature. That's good advice for anyone thinking about kayak fishing.

I pass a 14 or so foot inflatable and chat with the folks. They had landed two nice kings early. They took a picture of me and my kayak as proof to the people who had said they were crazy for trying this in their inflatable that there were other people who had fish fever worse! lol.

So I start fishing in 65 to 120 feet of water trying to stay in the bottom 25 percent of the water column. I was using a whole red label herring behind a 11 inch pro troll flasher with a green stripe. Don't see much bait so I peddled out toward the birds. How do the birds know there is bait 100 feet down? Amazing. As soon as I see bait on the sonar I am hooked up! OH YEAH! First fish ever on my new downrigger set up. It's Heavy...it's not fighting...ARGH...it's a cod. Well at least I caught something.

About an hour later I start marking some bait. I immediately get hit! FISH ON!!!! Hmm...it's not very big...but it's fast...it's a KING! A tiny one...maybe 5 or 6 pounds max. Well the feeder kings I caught this spring were awesome so I decided to keep it. Besides, I might not catch anything else and I drove 8 hours! Had to bring something back...or so the thought process went.

10 minutes later my line pops out of the downrigger and its FISH ON! This one is better. You can tell right away. It's not a halibut. Zipping around too much and no headshakes. Hmm..seems pretty heavy! YEEHAW! I got a REAL king! Maybe 20 pounds. So I limit out. AMAZING.

When I opened up the fish, they had fish that I had never seen before. They looked like some type of smelt. Maybe it was a capelin which I have seen before. Smaller than red label herring. Two or three time fatter than a sand lance. Interesting.

Well what a great day. You know it's a great day or I am just psycho when the only complaint was the weather was TOO NICE. I WILL be back. The Homer winter king derby is MINE! ...if they are close...yeah right, lol. I can't wait till next year's Anchor Point Salmon derby. I think I will have it dialed in by then. This downrigger thing is going to not only hammer the kings, but it is going to SLAY the halibut in the waters off Deep Creek to Anchor Point.

You, sir, are quickly becoming my fishing hero. That is absolutely awesome!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Hats off to you . . that's doing it the hard way!

Excellent ! The pics of the fish have my mouth watering for fresh salmon.

Absolutley AWESOME!!!

Thanks all. What a blast. Had planned on hitting the middle kenai today. But apparently I have car problems. As I neared the skilak lake pull out I discovered my turn signal and brakes don't work and my foot is stuck to the gas pedal!!!

I better resolve this before I run out of road in Homer!!!!! My friend who I was supposed to hook up with later said I'm an idiot and surely it's operator error. Hahaha...she's probably right.

Nice! Awesome job! can't believe, that is right there in Homer! I could totally do that from my kayak! Just need to finish my "list" of things to do before I can go again. Hope to one more time before the weather changes. Later Good luck!

Dudman, you could easily do it. I guess they aren't always there but when they are it's close.

One for two...or three or five.,... Crazy stuff today. I guess anywhere else we expect only one so we will call it a great day. but I have lots
    To learn and many adjustments to make!!!

Full report later when I get back.

34 inches. Guessing 25+ pounds.

Oops sry dudemandude....certainly not dudman. Lol.

nice job, Rudy! Glad to see u r still at it. I talked to a gal while fishing the beach last wkend that said her and the hubby had been doing real well with the feeders in the general area u describe. She claims they were getting em on 'black flies' trolled behind their downriggers. Apparently, these kings are targeting some sort of 'fish' that are leaving the fox river estuaries and the kings tend to hold in the deep holes that the fish pass thru on their way out to the big water. She could not id the type of fish they were chasing but suggested 'herring' of some sort. It would be interesting to know what the baitfish is. Can anyone id your fishes stomache content??? Chime in..............thanks!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

i beat the water from about 11 til 2 or so, got one about 18', one abot #7-8, and a #5 halibut. The smaller salmon was full of capelin, the halibut had a 10' pollack in it's gut, and i forgot to check the bigger king. the bigger one was tagged, second one i've got in the last couple weeks. i'll have to find out whee it came from and sent the hatchery a thank-you note, eh?
    saw this guy out there today too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Well you guys had it all over my buddy and me. If they'd been running a cod tournament today we would have won hands down. We did pick up one small halibut and a king that might have tipped the scales at about 3 or 4 lbs. that threw the hook when I tried lifting it into the boat by the leader. Maybe tomorrow.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Homer Dave and Muttley, Great meeting you guys! Thanks to both of you and forums like this, I learned something new after fishing here for 4 decades! I can see why you love Homer so much guys!

I need to ask the manufacturers about the plastic flexibility on my kayak in subzero temperatures! I get the feeling I may be doing this more often!!!!!!

Cod!!!! Great to hear from ya!

I had someone on another forum say he thought it was a juvenile hooligan. I thought it was a different species of smelt. I remember a native elder say there were smaller smelts that ran up the kenai in late fall. I thought maybe that's what it was. Probably should have kept. My fish today didn't have a thing in its stomach which surprised me. I will have to take a closer look at the photo and check!

You know I credit you in part to this crazy addiction! Had you not helped with our vehicle that day, I would have never caught that king which was my first from a kayak! So thank ya!!!!!!!

If it's not too much to ask...what rods and reels are you using? From the videos it appears to be an Abu G bait caster -maybe a 6500 and the other an Avet or Saltist? the rods are hard to guess at (due to fish eye lens and fish fighting action) but appear to handle the fish well and especially at the yak and very close in when a failure is most likely to occur. I fish off a kayak - Cobra fish-n-Dive - but just started this year. Thanks in advance and great job!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

way to Rudy,
    I'm so jealous.I have yet to hook-up a salmon down here in washington.And it's not from any lack of trying.........duh.
    I will keep at it and bust this skunk..
    It's great to share your success on line.Keep it up..............

Kardinal 84,
    I am already regretting putting the inflatable up for the winter after reading your posts! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you. I have to wait until next year, but appreciate all this stuff you are posting as it may save me some time the future. Good luck and I hope you continue to hook up with those Homer kings!

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    Kardinal 84,
    I am already regretting putting the inflatable up for the winter after reading your posts! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you. I have to wait until next year, but appreciate all this stuff you are posting as it may save me some time the future. Good luck and I hope you continue to hook up with those Homer kings!
    I was itching to take my inflatablet down to homer this past weekend also. Rudy just made the itching worse LOL. Way to go man! I finally got my downrigger mounted on the inflatable. I am needing to try it out.. i wonder what the weather is like this weekend heheh

Thanks all. It was a blast. I am just stunned with the results. All my information says they aren't here all the time but obviously they were there this weekend. Last month, the intel was near Anchor Point. That's harder...much harder with the current. Near the spit was no problem. A lot like Seward or Whittier. Yah its harder and the blowback on the downriggers is greater going against current but completely manageable. I'd say a downrigger is nearly a must though you could probably do it with either super heavy weights like a 10oz banana sinker or a big diver. The thing that makes it doable in my kayak is that it's self bailing.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    If it's not too much to ask...what rods and reels are you using? From the videos it appears to be an Abu G bait caster -maybe a 6500 and the other an Avet or Saltist? the rods are hard to guess at (due to fish eye lens and fish fighting action) but appear to handle the fish well and especially at the yak and very close in when a failure is most likely to occur. I fish off a kayak - Cobra fish-n-Dive - but just started this year. Thanks in advance and great job!
    Well despite my success, it's mostly luck and just getting on the water. This is my first real year kayak fishing and I started the year out in Cook Inlet on my mini-x. Now that is a BARGE! A Tiny barge but paddles like a big barge! lol.

I'm hard on my gear and I have broken rods already or nearly lost rods while kayak fishing so I have been staying away from the top end gear for the most part. My jigging stick/planer stick is a Shimano Trevala tvc66mh rated for 50 to 100lbs braid, 110-240 grams jig, medium heavy power, medium fast action. 6'6" It has an avet sx two speed loaded with 65 pound powerpro. Love it for jigging small halibut and rockfish and works well enough for trolling big planers or heavy sinkers for salmon. It's expensive enough of a set up that you can see I leash it. I HATE the leash...but I love that set up tooo much to lose.

The other rod is a Shimano Scimitar smc-86m-2a. 8'6" rated for 8-17lbs line lure wt: 1/4 to 1oz Power: Medium action: fast I have an abu garcia 6500 loaded with 25lbs Maxima Chameleon line. It's a cheap rod at $40 or so. The lower cork is already all chewed up with the way I have my rod holder set up. This outfit is cheap enough that I don't leash it.

I LOVE using ultralights. Especially on fish I know I am going to keep. Now that I have caught a few, I am thinking about converting my 6wt and 9wt flyrods into mooching/trolling rod. I have an old system 7/8 fly reel that I loaded 50lbs power pro and I intend to put a 100 yards or so of mono topshot. Probably 25 pound test. I'll likely always carry a baitcaster too but for anything under 50 to 75 feet depth, I am going to give it a try.

I'm looking for a slow to medium action baitcaster in the 9' to 11' range. 8-17 pound test rating to use as my primary downrigging rod. I like being able to load the rod up into a big "U" so when line releases it takes up maximum amount of slack. I've fished noodle rods for kings on the kasilof and such and its a blast. I seem to lose a lot less fish as well.

You don't need heavy stuff on a kayak. In fact its a liability. Twice this year I have snagged up the bottom halibut fishing and lost 100 feet of line since you can't break it off from a kayak. Keep that in mind. Unlike a power boat, the fish will pull you around and the kayak acts sort of like the drag on your real for big fish.

I'm no expert and my fishing style is definitely off center a bit. So my only good advice is to just go do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast