Thread: moths...by the millions

Default moths...by the millions

was wondering if anyone else noticed an unusual amount of moths in a large portion of western ak this year, or anywhere else for that matter. there were more than id ever seen, and they seem to spend alot of time on the blueberry bushes...wondering if theres any correlation to absense of berries on said bushes? I observed a f bears that seemed to recognize the abundance and fed on them as they foraged berries it seemed.interesting I thought. any similar observations?

I seen a ton on our moose hunt this year,we were talking and it was the most any of us ever seen,they were every were but there was no shortage on berry's there though.I remember seeing a video of a grizz on the top of a mountain gorging on them,they said that they go to the tops every year to get the last food source that being the moths.

More than usual over here too. They are great fried!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Around the North in various areas there is a leafminer that mostly infests blueberry bushes but will also go for willows. Apparently the moth/miner has a very noticable effect. Maybe that is the moth you are seeing.

Ive watched Bears eat Moths like a kid licking a frozen Sherbert BigStick off of Bushes, from under rocks and off the ground. Could be a bit more fat on 'em before they den up soon.........this could be a good thing as well if all those Catapillers before they turned into Moths got to eat lotsa Willows and keep those in check.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

between the moths and the rabbits we may very well have a browse problem here next year that will make wolves and bears impact on the moose population incidental.
    the moths are laying eggs right now, and the little buggers will hatch right at first green-up. what i hear is that we are just before the peak in the cycle, so the effects may be very severe by next fall.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Alot at the higher elevation around here the last couple of months
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

im sick of the dang moths, they all over the porch if you leave a light on.
    Semper Fi!

Shoot, I think I had a 1000 of them on the front of my house a few weeks ago. There every where.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Ditto Valdez area. The light on the front of the garage stays on all the time and the entire front surface of the building has more moths than visible siding on it. I'm figuring they're going to just freeze in place soon as they rarely move. Looks like end-of-life-cycle activity to me where they're just waiting to die.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

might be fun to get one of them bug zappers to see how big of a pile i could start
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    might be fun to get one of them bug zappers to see how big of a pile i could start
    Or better shoot them with your colt 45... You know the pistil you use deal out justice in butte lol

now if they would eat all them filty cottonwoods, we would all be better off.
    Semper Fi!

Chop down said Cottonwoods, zap a few pounds of Moths, and smoke 'em with the dry'd wood........munch while Hunting
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I just recently saw a show on Discovery Channel or such in Japan that showed big Alaskan bears chowing down on what were described as moths, but looked much like big caddis flies, commonly used for fly fishing. It was noted that they are a huge source of protein for them.probably a good thing unless you are living right there. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Ive watched Bears eat Moths like a kid licking a frozen Sherbert BigStick off of Bushes, from under rocks and off the ground. Could be a bit more fat on 'em before they den up soon.........this could be a good thing as well if all those Catapillers before they turned into Moths got to eat lotsa Willows and keep those in check.