Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jammed 1911

Default Jammed 1911

I have a springfield 1911 that I can not open. I wrongly allowed a friend to shoot a halibut in the head last summer. Of course, salt water splashed up and on to the gun. The gun was put away without cleaning and subsequently forgotten about. So, there are at least 3 bad decisions that have put me in my current position.

Now, I can't move the slide back. The exterior of the gun looks great; however, I suspect there is rust within the gun now that makes pulling the slide back impossible. Of course, I can't clean the gun until I get the slide to move back.

Any ideas? I've already tried spraying oil and liquid wrench all over and into the gun and letting it sit for days in a zip lock back. No luck.

This is a great gun and I am really hoping its salvagable.

Thanks

You might try a rubber mallet and attempt to tap the slide back...but who know what'll break off.

Best advice is take it to a gunsmith who can likely put it in a jig and get it open without tearing anything up, you'll likely need the services of a gunsmith anyway by the time you're done.

Gunsmith! Is it unloaded? Soak it in oil maybe?

Take the grips off and squirt some Kroil on the slide/frame interface, the barrel hood, around the slide stop, and between the barrel and the bushing and let it sit for a day or two. That oughta do it.

There are many places a 1911 can rust shut. All of which are going to require a big deadblow hammer to get it open. The slide rails can be rusted together, the barrel bushing can be rusted to the barrel, the barrel link can be fused to the pin, and the barrel hood could be rusted into the underside of the slide. The easiest way is to clamp the pistol upside down by the slide into a vice between two blocks of wood. Then try it by hand first. If it's a no-go then you are going to need a plastic or leather hammer and start whacking it. If it were me I would soak it in a bucket of diesel for a week before I tried.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would also pull the grips and give it a good oil bath then let it sit for a day or two

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Gunsmith! Is it unloaded? Soak it in oil maybe?
    Good point! If it has a live round in the chamber, don't pass go- go straight to the gunsmith.

Default Kroil

Has anybody seen Kroil for sale in Anchorage? If so, where?

If that doesn't work, I'll be heading to the gunsmith. Hardly anything good ever happens when I start hitting things with hammers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Has anybody seen Kroil for sale in Anchorage? If so, where?

If that doesn't work, I'll be heading to the gunsmith. Hardly anything good ever happens when I start hitting things with hammers.

Thanks
    That would make a classic sig line! I have the same hammer phobia when it comes to anything I don't wish to destroy! I had a buddy boat anchor an old flathead ford motor trying to "tap" out a locked up piston with a 5lb sledge. Major setback as it was the only period correct motor we could find for his t-bucket rat rod project car.

The only place I know of you can get Kroil is at Jacovich (sp) on post road. Good luck! But if all else fails, just by coincidence, I've been looking for a small 45cal boat anchor cheap. Sorry, I couldn't help my self.

I really like Kroil too. I have had really good luck with PB Blaster also.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think you can get kroil at Rev's on Merrill Field.

I`ll be another vote for a bucket of diesel.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Probably the link and pin.Take out the barrel bushing and recoil spring to see if it helps any.For a last effort give the to a kid and tell him not to pull the slide back,it will be open in no time.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I used to be on the “soak it in diesel” list till I found this.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIgBEPMCMAA#

Harmless to steel, brass, wood other than staining, skin . . . eats rust and just about nothing but rust, doesn’t go bad, works great! Soak it in that and at some point she will come loose.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I used to be on the “soak it in diesel” list till I found this.
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIgBEPMCMAA#

Harmless to steel, brass, wood other than staining, skin . . . eats rust and just about nothing but rust, doesn’t go bad, works great! Soak it in that and at some point she will come loose.
    Please remember that bluing is rust. If you soak a blued pistol in that stuff, it will come out in the white. Kroil and a little patience will save the day. The idea about removing the barrel bushing is a good one, though. It will allow you to squirt some Kroil in around the barrel link and the slide stop pin and also get to the locking lugs a little easier.

Boater, did I miss it or did you say it wasn't loaded? Just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I really like Kroil too. I have had really good luck with PB Blaster also.
    PB Blaster is the best! Give it a try. Used it on rusty trailer brakes and was super impressed.
    Tennessee

Default Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Probably the link and pin.Take out the barrel bushing and recoil spring to see if it helps any.For a last effort give the to a kid and tell him not to pull the slide back,it will be open in no time.

The barrel bushing won't budge. Whatever is going on in there, it ain't good.

Thought about the kid thing for a moment. I'm pretty sure if I gave to my 19 year old, it would come back to me tied in a knot somehow.

Am I sure its unloaded? I'm pretty sure it is; however, am I willing to point it at something I care about and pull the trigger? Nope. That's why I'm not wanting to put a hammer on it.

Liquid wrench did nothing for me. Next I'll try PB Blaster or Kroil, which ever I can actually find first.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    The barrel bushing won't budge. Whatever is going on in there, it ain't good.

Thought about the kid thing for a moment. I'm pretty sure if I gave to my 19 year old, it would come back to me tied in a knot somehow.

Am I sure its unloaded? I'm pretty sure it is; however, am I willing to point it at something I care about and pull the trigger? Nope. That's why I'm not wanting to put a hammer on it.

Liquid wrench did nothing for me. Next I'll try PB Blaster or Kroil, which ever I can actually find first.

I appreciate all the feedback.
    Insert a wooden dowel down the barrel and mark it at the end of the barrel. Then remove it and hold it along side the pistol with the mark even with the end of the barrel. Is the other end of the dowel even with the breech face of the slide, or does it stop forward of the barrel hood? If it is the latter, it is loaded. Go to Jackovich and get a small squirt can of Kroil. No gun bench should be without it. It makes an excellent bore cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast