Thread: Storing hip boots for the winter

Default Storing hip boots for the winter

Normally I buy el cheapo hip boots and replace them every year or two and don't worry about proper storage.

But this summer I bought some ankle fit hip boots and paid enough for them that I got to thinking what is the best way to store them for the winter to make them last as long as possible. I presume some of you out there have a way you normally do it that is pretty easy so maybe you could let me in on your method and I will copy it. Thanks.

Never leave em folded up. I extend mine all the way and use soft rope and loop it around the ankles and hang em fully extended. They used to have boot hangers just for hip boots, but be darned if I can find anyone that sells em anymore.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I hang them in the closet in the house and forget about them. Till next year.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I think I'll wad up some newspaper to cram into the tops to protect them from creases before I hang them. Its always the creases that seem to crack first and start leaking.

Dry them, and then put Armor-All the outside, then store them in dry location.

Ok thanks guys, they are now stuffed full of newspaper, hanging in the closet upside down with a soft rope and freshly armor-all'ed patiently waiting for next April.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Normally I buy el cheapo hip boots and replace them every year or two and don't worry about proper storage.

But this summer I bought some ankle fit hip boots and paid enough for them that I got to thinking what is the best way to store them for the winter to make them last as long as possible. I presume some of you out there have a way you normally do it that is pretty easy so maybe you could let me in on your method and I will copy it. Thanks.
    I dust the insides of em with gold bond powder. The salycylic acid and talc in the gold bond powder keeps out the mold and possible dry-rotting. Keeps the liner from degrading.

Thanks mainer, I will pick some of that up tomorrow at the store and put it in the boots.

Almost hate to say it but newsprint is fairly acidic (that's why it becomes yellow and brittle over time). An acid environment works against some types of mold and bacteria, but it isn't good for preserving materials. I wouldn't worry about it too much, since nothing lasts forever, just something to consider.

Personally, I agree with GrizzlyH and boot hangers are easy to make yourself or to find online. (Just for example, Cabela's shows 5 kinds of wader hangers.) I used to wash and dry mine, then just leave them hanging on boot hangers fully extended. (But they were also cheapos to use for only a few seasons.)
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Thanks Seraphina, I already have an online shopping list started at Cabela's for some other things and so I just added 'Cabela's Wader Hanger' to the list. If I keep getting organized by Christmas my bedroom will no longer look like a messy mini-REI !

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post

I do mine about the same way as GrizzlyH... only difference is I take a short (2ft) piece of nylon line, tie slip knots in each end. slip the loop over just the toes, letting the boot hang down straight, and leaving the legs open for air circulation... I hang em in the garage or storage shed with other "summer" gear...

I just snap the belt keepers together and hang them from that, but I also use my hipboots quite a bit in winter as it really doesn't freeze up much here in AH.
    Now what ?