Thread: Anybody finding any late ducks? After Oct 22

Default Anybody finding any late ducks? After Oct 22

Just wondering if anybody is finding any late ducks in south central area? Along with this, current ice report on Jim Creek and lakes, and duck lake please. Bud
    Wasilla

VERY few ducks skim on ice on about eveything thats not moving

This is the first time I have been skunked this year. The only birds I saw were in my neighbors pond.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Mud Lake from landing to Jim Creek entry some ice up to about 1/4 inch ... maybe thicker in spots ... gets soft after you get to the JC entry ... not sure about the far side but looked soft ... but that can be deceiving from afar. And the water was thin ... down at least 6-8" from when I paddled around there 3-4 weeks ago. Some guy with too much boat, gear and flesh on board with too little motor to push found out how thin it was ... oh wait, that was me this morning - sorry if I botched the canoe guys' short set-up this morning getting my @$$ turned around and back to the hill. Other folks with more muscle had no problems getting around.

Jim Lake ... skim ice on the south side 30-40yds from grass line ... some in the center ... open on the west from the grass to portage and maybe to the old blind on the north side ... couldn't see the north side and landing from the ridge and we didn't go down to check. Gull looked iced from where we were at. Could not tell about Leaf or Swan ... but heard some shooting in that direction while we were drinking coffee at the truck.

I know that is not much but hope it helps somebody. rb

Ran all the way to swan/leaf on Saturday. From the landing in mud lake until you get into the creek "channel" is the thickest of the ice (1/4 to 3/8"). The water level is the thinnest that I remember. The edges and bends of McRoberts has ice and did not see much ice in jim creek except on the shore. Was able to bang my way into swan and was concerned once I got in that I would not be able to get out. Had to pull through the little winding channel from swan until we got to the cabin. The water is very low and it is difficult to find decent cover within shooting range of the water. Swan and Leaf were both open in the middle but the edges had skim ice. Saw birds and except for the few that dropped in...most were headed deeper into the muck than I could venture with the equipment...and muscle that I had with me. I have a 36hp surface drive and a heavy boat...lighter set-ups would have fared better.

Spent some time on the hayflats yesterday. It was remarkably worse than a week ago. Better make your shots count.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I was out at Jim yesterday too with a buddy. We were the ones that went by you asking if you were ok. You certainly were in a shallow spot.
    Once your on step you've gotta stay on step til you get into deeper water. We too had some trouble getting back out. My buddy missed a turn and we literally jumped the boat off a grass clump and were high and dry. Didn't know you can make boats fly. LOL
    We were able to get into some birds though. Mallards and lots of teal still around.
    Once out there it's easier to walk from one location to another than using the boat. I was walking keeping my feet dry in areas that are normally 2 to 3 ft of water. Never seen it so low.

Went out yesterday, and at first light had a group of geese fly over up high as we were walking out. For kicks I decided to call at them. They continued on not showing any intrest so we pressed on and then right as we got to the spot about 5 min later we heard them coming back right were I was calling from only this time they were low. First time they have ever given me and my buddy a chance. I hit one that dropped out of pattern but recovered (tough little boogers) and my buddy shot and folded one (his first ever goose) But that was it for the excitement for the day. Not one duck to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Spent some time on the hayflats yesterday. It was remarkably worse than a week ago. Better make your shots count.
    Was not able to get out this weekend... had to work on the house to get ready for winter.

I would assume that the flats are beginning to have ice on them as well. Unfortunately I do not have a boat so the flats and jump shooting is all I have for this year. Hopefully I can get out next week. Also anybody got any reports on the portage area??

I went south today after being out of town for 6 weeks. I was suprised that everything was ice-free and there were still a few birds around.

I even educated a couple of clueless duck shooters on the way out. They showed me their 4 mallards and then I asked how many of those were shot before LST. Their first shot was 30 minutes early and then followed by at least a dozen more prior to 30 prior to sunrise. Hopefully now they know.

Was out on Jim yesterday also. Stared in the SOuth Corner, Seen some ducks all laninding on the opposite side. By noon time the lake was iced over except fro some small areas. Made it over the bluff, set up decoys and was able to bag 1 mallard of the 4 that came in then 15 minutes later another group flew over high. Keeping the ice out of my decoys was tough. Stayed till after 5pm. Some teal came into the swans, but all in all the ducks were looking for open water which was tough.