Thread: Free places to shoot... ?

Default Free places to shoot... ?

Is there anywhere up Arctic Valley Rd that is legal to shoot pistols? Been reading through forums trying to find a place and sounds like there's nowhere within an hours drive of anchorage. Is that true?

Mountain View or Muldoon.........

There is nowhere in the Anchorage borough to shoot firearms outside of the 2 shooting ranges. "Some" places in the MatSu region are legal if: you live outside of the city limits or shoot at the indoor range in Palmer.

This of course are the closest options to Anchorage.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Everything between Girdwood and the Knick River bridge is in the Muni of Anchorage and target shooting is illegal except at the pay or Govt ranges. To bad they Californicated Anchorage. I guess it's to be expected with all the people coming to Ak to get away from what ever they had only to try to change Ak to be more like where they came from. Go figure.

houston alaska is a great place to blast off a couple thousand rounds into the wilderness.. i highlyy recomend blasting away up there. its not that far really.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    houston alaska is a great place to blast off a couple thousand rounds into the wilderness.. i highlyy recomend blasting away up there. its not that far really.
    Lol I concur

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Everything between Girdwood and the Knick River bridge is in the Muni of Anchorage and target shooting is illegal except at the pay or Govt ranges. To bad they Californicated Anchorage. I guess it's to be expected with all the people coming to Ak to get away from what ever they had only to try to change Ak to be more like where they came from. Go figure.
    Where is the "Like" button for this?

Man, you nailed it here. Now, with about 8 TV shows making Alaska 'look' like someplace anyone could live, it's not surprising to see an influx. As if the PFD alone wasn't an influence. (a bit off topic-sorry)

Morgan
    -Soldotna

california sucks!!! go back please.
    Semper Fi!

Amen!!!!!!

Everything between Girdwood and the Knick River bridge is in the Muni....To bad they Californicated Anchorage
    Hafta say I disagree.

Areas were closed because of how dangerous they were as "unsupervised ranges" I'm glad KRPUA is closed to shooting, now if I so choose to I can take my kids out 4wheeling without the risk of another bullet bouncing off my trailer.

Can't say I've never shot at Knik or even the little spot south of Girdwood along the highway...but I've don't so with absolute safety- closures are because of those who disregarded the safety of others, not to "Californicate" Alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Come on TWB (insert spitting tobacco juice) this here Uhlaska (spit again) I should be able to shoot anywhere with complete disregard to the safety of my neighbors. (spit one more time)

In all seriousness TWB is right where are you going to go and safely shoot in the anchorage area?? Besides the 3 ranges...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Come on TWB (insert spitting tobacco juice) this here Uhlaska (spit again) I should be able to shoot anywhere with complete disregard to the safety of my neighbors. (spit one more time)
    Perspective in life changes when you evolve from a young wild 18yo to a father of 2.

My high school days has some of Jims Creeks' largest parties of 300 people with kegs and loads of pallets which brought fights and guns. Things started to change shortly thereafter.

There are places in the Muni where one could shoot safely, but it doesn't matter as it's not legal. And there are places where shooting should not be legal. If you think these laws have made you safe from gunfire, think again as you drive down the highway and look for bullet free road signs. Also pay attention to the houses that are directly behind those signs. Also keep in mind, that only target shooting is illegal in most of the KRPUA. There is a small section of the KRPUA that has been set aside for a range and it is legal to target shoot there unsupervised. I can't wait until some idiot drives his ATV between a shooter and his target and then yells because "he was shot at". Hunting is still legal in most of the KRPUA. Part of what Californicate means is to close areas to anything you don't like. Next thing you know someone gets hurt from driving their four wheeler to fast and along come the regulators wanting a 5mph speed limit at KRPUA. I think if we could make folks be responsible for their actions rather than blaming "the system" or their parents or "some one else" we could get by with a lot less laws. I DON"T think anyone should be able to bounce bullets off anyones trailer and get away with it. There are already laws against shooting anywhere you shouldn't. Reckless endangerment pretty well covers that sort of thing. There's even a law that would prevent you from changing a flat tire at the side of the road if they chose to inforce it. I could safely shoot in my basement but that too is illegal. It wouldn't surprise me to find it illegal to shoot my pellet gun in the basement. Our president is sure doing all he can to keep us safely wrapped in our cacoon of regulation and law by Presidential decree. Anyway, have fun with all the regulations especially when they come for your hobby/sport and they will.

Very well said Rbuck!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sorry Grahamski. Sometimes I get a little worked up over loosing good places to shoot because some idiot is shooting carelessly. The spot at KRPUA that is legal to shoot is about an hour from the center of Anchorage but only about 20 mins from the north edge of Anchorage. To get there, take the old Palmer highway. A couple of miles past the butte turn right on Maude Rd. Another couple miles the pavement ends and you keep going straight on the dirt/gravel road.Keep going past Mud Lake, you will see No Trespassing signs on both side of the road. Keep going until you come to a small sign that tells you that you are back in KRPUA. A short distance later you will see an open area on your left where people have been shooting. Although unimproved and unsupervised it is legal to shoot there. Do not shoot on the right side of the road as that overlooks the huge Atv area and is well within range of the place where everyone rides at Jim Creek.

To get there, take the old Palmer highway.
    It's Old Glynn Highway, next exit after Eklutna comming from Anchorage . . . cross the Knik River and ya went too far.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Woops, yup, Old Glenn.