Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power steering, good idea?

Default power steering, good idea?

hi all, wondering if you guys have much to say about some of the newer machines with power steering. i have never tried one, and wondering if they are worth it.

I say they are totally worth it. As my shoulders and elbows age I appreciate it more. I know 100% that my next machine will be power steering. I've only got about 100 miles on PS machines, but in tough conditions they leave you far less tire than a normal machine. I don't know about Yamahas, but on the Cats if the PS fails you still have normal steering.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I always thought " its a 4 wheeler not a 18 wheeler" but now that i have it i'll never ride without out it. you can ride longer with less wear and tear on your upper body and makes the next morning easier to get out of bed.

I believe Grizzly started the PS concept; that's the one I have. I was touted by naysayers as being cheap plastic gears and a marketing ploy.

In real life, it works very well, and you'll want it when you hit that stump with one tire (won't break your arm) or put it in 4 wheel diff lock and do a tight circle.

I wouldn't do without it, at this point, but I'm spoiled now.

Default Gotta have it

Thinking about, would the question apply to pickup trucks?

I had an '06 Outlander 800 Max. Great machine. Darned pain in the slow and go work though.

I have an '11 Outlander 800 Max now, it's just so much more enjoyable. The difference in how I feel at the end of a long day is astounding.

It's safer. At the end of a long hard day is when most people make a mistake and crash or hurt themselves. Power steering makes you much more capable for longer.

Power steering is here to stay for obvious reasons. I can't imagine a 500cc machine or larger without it. Once you've ridden a day with power steering, you'll think so too.

On top of everything, if you want a woman to ride with you, and enjoy it a great deal more, get her a machine with power steering.

I put 350 miles on my 2011 550 grizzly this year moose hunting and I can testify to the fact that power steering has changed the game. The biggest difference for me is cruising a trail or field with downed trees and logs. You don't get jerked around and beat up nearly as much. I used to think my back was getting beat up from the bumpy ride of my seat, but now I realize a good portion of it was from getting my shoulders jerked around so much.

Bottom line: I'll never own another 4 wheeler without PS.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Yes. We ride often, and one of the people we ride with rides without power steering. The rest of us have power steering. He is so beat up at the end of the day, whereas we still feel good. It makes a huge difference in effort, in how sore you will be after an all day ride, and it also can protect you from injury because it can absorb a significant amount of shock when you hit that hidden stump or rock. IMO, it's totally worth it.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I think it means more stuff to break and repair. I also wonder if the wear and tear on the front end is greater now you've got hydraulic rams shoving the tires around.

Now with all that said, I bought a 2011 Arctic Cat for my wife with power steering and she loves it. Iíve got to admit it sure is easy to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    hi all, wondering if you guys have much to say about some of the newer machines with power steering. i have never tried one, and wondering if they are worth it.
    My first question would be what type of machine are you looking at?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I think it means more stuff to break and repair. I also wonder if the wear and tear on the front end is greater now you've got hydraulic rams shoving the tires around.
    I wondered about that exact thing a few years ago when I got my Grizzly 700. Hasn't turned out to be true, at least for me. Other people want to chime in on how their PS busted itself or something else?

No hydraulic rams on any of them. It's a contained power steering box that has tie rods connected to it. If the power steering box fails you still have manual control.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    No hydraulic rams on any of them. It's a contained power steering box that has tie rods connected to it. If the power steering box fails you still have manual control.
    Understood. And know that right now, I'm a very big fan of PS.

But that said, what you say can also be said of cars with PS. Ever tried steering a PS-car when the PS has gone out? It's a real bear.

I haven't heard yet from a single person whose ATV PS has gone out. If this is representative, then clearly ATV PS is a good thing (this is my bet).

That was a response to Kelvin

There has been a number of power steering units go out on the Grizzly.
    Moisture gets in thru the vent tube, then rust does its nasty job.
    Yamaha deleted the vent tube in the late 2009 machines.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

We have an '07 and '08 Grizz 700 with no PS issues and we have ridden them hard and given them a few dunkings, to boot. The PS seems pretty reliable to me.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I've had a power steering Grizzly 700 since 2007. Never had a problem and I love it. Now the issue of ps failure has been addressed here already but I'll post it again just in case it was missed. If the ps fails the steering reverts to normal steering it doesn't get hard to steer like a car does.

Default Skimwords

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I've had a power steering Grizzly 700 since 2007. Never had a problem and I love it. Now the issue of ps failure has been addressed here already but I'll post it again just in case it was missed. If the ps fails the steering reverts to normal steering it doesn't get hard to steer like a car does.
    Had to laugh a bit at this site's Skimwords software pointing the person who might click on power steering, here.

But it didn't see fit to provide a link to "normal" - that would have been a good one!

Like some said, once you used it you will never want to have a machine without it!

I have a 09 Grizzley and it does not have PS. Next machine will have it

I've got some upper back and shoulder issues, and the EPS on my RZR makes life a lot less painful the day after a long ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast