Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Coverage in Ship Creek

Default Cell Coverage in Ship Creek

Does anyone know if you get Cell Coverage while in the Ship Creek Drainage near Arctic Valley?

In my experience, only if you are up high. You'll lose coverage by the time you get down to where the moose are. I've hiked back there a couple times this summer. (Mostly to convince myself not to sign up for that ridiculous permit)
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You'll have iffy coverage at the main trail below the lodge. Once in the lower valley no service but across the creek and up out of the trees it will be decent.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for your Help

Just wondering why this hunt is Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post
    Have you hiked the Ship Creek trail before?

How far have you packed a moose out?

In 2008 after I shot a moose up the creek I called for a friend who showed up 4 hours later with 2 horses. There was 3 bar of coverage from where I was. Thanks for friends with horses.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

In my dreams I have....

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

I've had a rough enough time packing my own fat-self. Out let alone a moose. Up hill hiking non stop from the creek to the parking lot- yeh it'd be hurtin.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Moose30 View Post
    It's ridiculous in that the terrain, methods, and distances are more akin to sheep hunting, but with a 1500 pound animal at stake.
    The closest the pack-out could possibly be is about 3 miles(probably more like 5, depending on where the moose are), uphill, through a nasty muddy trail or up and over a mountain pass. Absolutely beautiful country. Absolutely miserable circumstances for getting a moose out.

I'm worse than an alcoholic, though. I know it will hurt, but I want to do it anyway. I couldn't get the permit because of the Tier 1 restrictions, but I'm tempted to sign on as a meat packer for somebody.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    It's ridiculous in that the terrain, methods, and distances are more akin to sheep hunting, but with a 1500 pound animal at stake.
    The closest the pack-out could possibly be is about 3 miles(probably more like 5, depending on where the moose are), uphill, through a nasty muddy trail or up and over a mountain pass. Absolutely beautiful country. Absolutely miserable circumstances for getting a moose out.

I'm worse than an alcoholic, though. I know it will hurt, but I want to do it anyway. I couldn't get the permit because of the Tier 1 restrictions, but I'm tempted to sign on as a packer for somebody.
    Your hired send your application to bronco for further review...

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I've had a rough enough time packing my own fat-self. Out let alone a moose. Up hill hiking non stop from the creek to the parking lot- yeh it'd be hurtin.
    So you quit on us before the hunt ever started... Lol

Lol if yall all me I'll put my gear on and grab my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I've never hunted it.
    Lol well no **** Sherlock lol get your packframe ready I have you lined up as the first guy to call when we get a bull down

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Lol well no **** Sherlock lol get your packframe ready I have you lined up as the first guy to call when we get a bull down
    Dangit. I reread your post but you're too quick on the quote.

Lol yep don't know if rob told u going in on the 1st

Thank you for your Information I flew the Area today It looked like there was a trisl from the ski Area that started up high my plan is to try that first the trail coming from Highland looked a bit ruff to say the least If I do get a moose I plan on having 10 people help pack it out that should average out to 50lb per person Boned out?

I have packed a moose once near lake george with only one other perso and it was about four miles away not fun. I think if everone goes in with empty packs and only has about 50lbs it should be possiable?

My Family loves Moose meat and do to work and home projects i was unable to go so this hunt will have to do plus it will be fun marching in with ten people that will be a first for me.

Take a sat phone....... cell phone is hit or miss up in there.

I would be very surprised if a satellite phone works down in that gulley, the satellite would have to be over head. I wonder does a GPS work down there? If not how are you going to tell someone where the moose is?

Iridium most likely will work, track in real time here: http://www.n2yo.com/satellites/?c=15&srt=2&dir=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast