Thread: What are the best deals you've ever made when buying H2O Fowl gear?

Default What are the best deals you've ever made when buying H2O Fowl gear?

Another thread got me to thinking about gear, and good deals. I always like buying 1/2 off the 1/2 off. On sale. Super discounted. Garage Sale Special. The less I pay, the happier I am. So how about it? Want to share some good deal stories with us?
    I'll start:
    Currently my "ammo cabinet" contains 10 odd cases of 12 ga steel. Mixed in that is another case of 20ga steel. It is all a mixed bag, everything from T to 4, 2 3/4" & 3", mostly made up of Federal. My average cost per box to date is a bit less than $7.00 each. That makes me grin ear to ear.
    I love shooting birds, but that is all the better when each shot is less then .30/ea.
    Anybody else have any good deals they love to hunt with?
    ARR

I got my best deals on shotguns at Mountain View Sports during their "Day after Thanksgiving Day" sale and at their "Hunter Appreciation" sale. I gotta give John Staser credit for taking good care of his customers.

Also, Ron's Honda in Soldotna is the place to find outboards without getting gigged.

Another great deal for me. Back in 1988 my friends rented a small house on the outskirts of Fairbanks. The guy across the street had a 20' Quachita flat bottom sitting on a trailer. It was not new, but all in all pretty good shape. One day I went and knocked on the door to ask if by chance it was for sale.
    He said yes, he'd sell it. Title and paperwork I asked? Yes. How much? He rubbed his beard, looked at the boat, and asked me if $500 was too much. I about peed my pants. Young working guy, just married a year, and here was manna from heaven. We made the deal, I took it home, and still have and use that boat today.
    ARR

Banned

About 6 or 7 years ago, Anchorage Wal-Mart over bought on Flambeau decoys I guess. There were many available like the great poontoon mallards and water keel and weighted keel. They lowered them until gone and at the end many were picked up for 5 bucks a dozen. About the same time Sports Authority had a hard time gettin' rid of shot shells probably because of Sportie Warehouse competetition...a lot of great brand name duck loads picked up for 3 to 5 bucks a box....

Well not a lot of stories from this guy as I usually just miss the deals.... BUT did stumble on into a garage sale that had things only my wife was interested in-- stuff for me to hang. While waiting I wandered over to the cloths and found a Columbia rain jacket -- the $150 dollar kind for $10 bucks. The guy said I tell you what if you buy the other jacket that happened to be a mossy oak duck cold weather i will throw another one if for free. I said how much -- "give me $20 bucks and all three are yours" I literally ran to the truck to get the $20 I was keeping from my wife. The Free jacket was a older real tree cold weather jacket built on the style of a wading jacket.

I took advantage of that Wal-Mart sale too. I ended up with about 5 dozen mallards and 1 dozen teal. I also got a box of floater geese for 7 dollars. I think I paid like 50 bucks for everything. I keep looking for more deals like that but Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry decoys anymore.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Banned

Yea, they probably lost their shirt and said not more of those damm things!!! LOL

I too capitalized on the deal there at wal mart with a mind to eventually turn the cheap mallard deeks into sea duck deeks. They had shells cheap too. I have finally decided to begin the transformation with goldeneye, scoter, and oldsquaw deeks hopefully ready for use soon. Tedious but hopefully worth it. Ill start a new thread with pics when they are complete

Banned

If they will work for sea duck blocks they can't be that cheap!

Man this is fun. Lots of good deals to drool over. I've got to be careful at garage sales. I see stuff all the time I have to turn away from, like a guy trying to kick a bad habit.
    ARR

I found a 9.9hp Evercrude at a garage sale for $25. The seller said that the pull start didn't work, and he was right. With about another $25 in parts she has run ever since. I found another 4hp of the same vintage at another sale for (you guessed it) $25. Owner siad he hadn't started it since his dad died. Well, with a little gas and some Seafoam, that too is running. Picked up an almost brand new Dualfuel Coleman stove last weekend for $5. I love it when people almost give stuff away.

Banned

I picked up a brand new pair of Army combat boots at a garage sale for 10 bucks...these are fancy boots with great lug soles and zip up and made by an American Company, a similiar pair with a brand name would be over 100 easy.

Not sure I'm following you ownerstate.... I got the cheap flambeau mallard deeks at wal mart for 5 bucks for a dozen. They will soon be sea duck deeks after a bit of modification. Much cheaper than buying new sea duck deeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ownerstate View Post
    I picked up a brand new pair of Army combat boots at a garage sale for 10 bucks...these are fancy boots with great lug soles and zip up and made by an American Company, a similiar pair with a brand name would be over 100 easy.
    Yes, maybe, but you can buy brand new, never worn, American made Army combat boots, either insulated black, or khaki jungle variety for $40 at the Bargain Basement in Kenai.

Banned

I took it you meant that the Flambeau decoys were cheap? They are not heavy is what I like about them and you can carry a large bag of them aways. I have used some for 6 or more years and no problems. Plus I modify mine like cutting off the heads to make a feeded look and cutting off the keel for land or ice. I think a bit much is made of more expensive decoys, in times past white bleach jugs painted black were perfect for divers. Now quality wood decoys is a whole new ball game. Some of the Flambeaus I have repainted a number of times for different species. Black and gray make a nice eclipse mallard like what is here most of the season.

the winchester 101 my dad gave me when i was a kid....free....
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

AK375HH, now that is a nice one. Not quite the "deal" category as being on sale or a great find, but still, what a wonderful surprise. Bet you still smile everytime you lay your hands on it.
    We could easily add in to this, "gifts from special people that made us smile, and that we still use". It's all good.
    10 bucks for boots, regardless if somebody else can find them for $40, is still 75% off and classifies as money well spent. Even though I never wear hiking boots waterfowl hunting, I'm guessing Ownerstate has a place to do so. Cool.
    I bought a bunch of stuff at a garage/estate sale. Mixed in were some calls. One says "black duck" and the other says nothing. Pretty basic, no frills, no names, single reed. I think the walnut w/no markings goes into the bag for hunting trips. It blows sweet. At this point, due to what I bought and what I sold, I've got nothing into the calls. So, 2 calls, zero invested, one gets a lanyard, I'm calling that a deal.
    ARR