Thread: Info on fabricating goat horn

Default Info on fabricating goat horn

Got a nice billy on a draw permit this year. Lost a horn on a fall.
    Anyone know what to use to fabricate your own horn?
    Don't want to do much with skull plate, just want to replicate the missing horn on my own.
    What epoxy should I use? paint, etc... Anyone done this themselves?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

You will need to make a mold of the good side.. variety of products available, (100% pure silicone being the cheapest), Later, Dragon skin, etc.. DONT FORGET TO USE A MOLD RELEASE..

Then once a mold has been made you can make a cast out of several products. Smooth cast 300 comes to mind.. You could also use thinned bondo, or cast all.. Lots of options out their.. If done right, the products alone will cost in excess of 50-100 bucks,

Once the cast is made, airbrush it to match the other side..

I lost a horn on mine this year also and will be doing the same.. Attaching it to the skull plate where it ripped off and mold the whole set at one.. then using them on a shoulder mount..

artificial goat horns3.jpgartificial goat horns2.jpg

I haven't tried casting a set of horns yet, but I've had to deal with broken off horns from several of last season's goats as well. While you can possibly make a cast of the remaining horn, the inward curvature will be opposite of the direction you need for the missing horn. You may be able to come up with some type of "work around" to make a proper curve, such as bending the original silicon mold before casting the remaining horn, but I'm too intimidated by the process to try that. I'd probably spend several hundred bucks and still get it wrong :-).

One option is to purchase a professionally-cast artificial set. Research Mannikins carries billy horn casts in 9.5" and 10.5" sets for about $90. I've purchased a 9.5" set that looks pretty good. There are some minor "casting flash" areas that need to be touched up before I paint them, but that comes with the territory. If one of these sizes sounds close to what you need, you may want to try them. Attached are a couple of pix of a set I haven't detailed yet, and here's a link:

http://www.rmi-online.com/advanced_s...on=1&x=23&y=12

(OBTW, I haven't checked yet, but you may want to call Knight's Taxidermy to see if the may have some cast sets they'd sell.)

Good luck with the project!!

That whole horn bustin buinsness with goats is too common. Last year when I got one that was whole and unblemished I was very very happy. I just put the perfect white mount on my wall this week. Beautiful.

I've busted more than not. When a big ol' billy goes rolling thats alot of weight down on those little horns.

Good luck with your repair or replacement. As long as you have a quality cape then you should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That whole horn bustin buinsness with goats is too common. Last year when I got one that was whole and unblemished I was very very happy. I just put the perfect white mount on my wall this week. Beautiful.

I've busted more than not. When a big ol' billy goes rolling thats alot of weight down on those little horns.

Good luck with your repair or replacement. As long as you have a quality cape then you should be just fine.

Lets see that mount Bighorse :-)
    I can't wait to get mine back, but it's going to be a year before he makes it on the goat wall