Thread: 358 HAWK 225gr RT

Default 358 HAWK 225gr RT

I just worked up to a max load of H4895 for a 225gr bullet listed by Hodgdon 46.5grs. My partitions with just .020" leed is a 2430 fps and the Sierra iabout s the same. The 225ge hawk RT is at 2320fps with the same 46.5grs. The hawks I pushed deep in the case too keep the load dencity up. The OCL is 2.685 with about .070" leed. The 200gr spire point is 2.665" OCL so I can still push the hawk back some .020" for tunning the load for accuracy before it hit the bottom of the neck.

I suspect I can use more powder (.5-1.0grs) because the primers have very round edges just like new primers and there is no issue with extraction.

How do the hawks pure copper jackets usually compare with gliuding metal jaketed bullets? They seem to have the same bearing surface as the 200gr spire points and mabe less than the 225gr partitions. What I have is more case space and more leed length. I suspect my pressures are lower than with the noslers/sierra's. These are the .030" jackets choosen for WT Deer I think moose and elk may need the .035" jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I just worked up to a max load of H4895 for a 225gr bullet ...............
    How do the hawks pure copper jackets usually compare with gliuding metal jaketed bullets? They seem to have the same bearing surface as the 200gr spire points and mabe less than the 225gr partitions. What I have is more case space and more leed length. I suspect my pressures are lower than with the noslers/sierra's................
    The Hawk bullets are pure soft annealed copper and pure lead. The jacket will expand with the lead and stay with it as the soft lead expands into the classic mushroom shape. The thicker jackets expand less/slower, thus we control expansion with jacket thickness and velocity. A hawk bullet is also slightly shorter than other copper alloy/lead alloy bullets of similar design due to metal densities. I find velocities slightly slower than Nosler partitions of same weight.

You didn't mention the cartridge but I presume you are loading the 358 Hawk cartridge. This Fred Zeglin invention is similar to the 35 Whelen and loads are close in performance. I have loads for the whole series of Hawk cartridges.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sorry, I started some questions in the "do old bullets still work" thread and forgot to mention every thing.

I am loading the 358 win in a 700 with a 21" barrel. This is the first RN I have used and it gives me a lot more distance to the lands than other bullets I have loaded and the first pure copper jacketed bullet as well.

I picked the .030" jackets for a fast expanding white tail deer load but expect they in the 225gr may work fine for ONT. moose or a big black bear from the 358win. I can always move up to .035" for a moose hunt and western Ont. does get the bigger moose than the smaller eastern type. Middle sized moose for you guys.

I think you're on to something. The .035" jackets in the 225 grain would be a good moose bullet. That velocity range of the 358 Win is ideal for Hawk bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?