Thread: Juneau duck hunters in the news - not in a good way

Default Juneau duck hunters in the news - not in a good way

Just a reminder to all Juneau duck hunters. We need to abide by the rules and think about how our actions will affect our continued hunting privileges on the wetlands. There are several groups in Juneau who want to turn the Mendenhall State Game Refuge into a no hunting zone.

ADF&G Issues Warning About Unsafe Hunting in Juneau

By Casey Kelly, KTOO - Juneau | October 14, 2011

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is warning local waterfowl hunters to be safe after a report of someone firing shots toward the runway at the Juneau Airport.

Area Management Biologist Ryan Scott says the hunters were allegedly not on the nearby Mendenhall Wetlands State Game Refuge.

A couple things there, says Scott. One, its obviously not very safe to be shooting that direction. Two, during the waterfowl season, waterfowl hunters can use a shotgun to hunt ducks and geese on the refuge, but youve got to be on the refuge.

Scott says the incident is under investigation. Hes not aware of any pending charges at this point.
    The waterfowl hunting season stretches from mid-September to the end of the year. Since 2003, Scott says the department has required a permit to hunt on the Mendenhall refuge.

The purpose of that permit was so that we could have some time with the hunter, explain some of the issues and concerns out there, and then provide them with the information to make sure folks make good decisions out there, Scott says. I would say 99.9 percent of the waterfowl hunters utilizing the refuge use very good, safe hunting practices. But it could just take a couple things and it could really reflect negatively on everybody.

Scott says about 300 people apply for permits every year, making it one of the most popular hunts in Juneau.
    http://www.alaskapublic.org/2011/10/...ing-in-juneau/

Mary Willson is just one of them...

http://juneauempire.com/outdoors/201...s-canada-goose

...During the hunting season on the Mendenhall Wetlands, geese become very wary and easily disturbed. In fact, observers have noticed that geese (and ducks) often leave the wetlands during the day and fly to Auke Lake, in order to avoid the hunters. They come back to the wetlands at night to forage. Unfortunately, these daily flights cross the paths of approaching airplanes not good for either goose or plane!
    We all need to say something to the hunters we see doing something illegal or unethical. There are too many people in Juneau who would love to see hunting stopped to stay silent.

Erich

Lets all head to Auke Lake!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Lets all head to Auke Lake!!!!
    That would be fun for the first 15 mins until the neighbors arrived with their torches and pitchforks! LOL!

Erich

Banned

Waterfowlers act needs to be cleaned up nationwide in many respects or we are gonna get run outta dodge by the anti-crazies.

They keep it up and they will close that marsh to duck hunting!!!!

As for hunting near airports, way back in the dark recesses of my mind something nags at me that the gov't (Fed?) set up perimeters closed to firearms around airports. Don't quote me on that, may be more of a fairy tale than Little Red Riding Hood. A guy ought to know though before becoming "that guy" inadvertently.
    As for the other comments about cleaning up the sport, has it not always been the case? Since the first gun? Shooting things that should not have been shot, and doing stupid stuff? I have yet to see an "anti" shooting up road side signs, leaving dead animals in the wilds, or tearing stuff up w/ equipment used to access off road areas. Or at least I have not seen any proof that any of that damage could be attributed to an "anti".
    I wish all of the concientous hunters good luck. The others, well, I hope their guns get plugged by mud, their boats run out of fuel and oil and sinks (in an area not to become a hazard to maritime traffic, and that ends up as marine life habitat) , and their atv's seize up solid like a rock.
    ARR

The area they were hunting is a weird spot. It doesn't look closed when you stand there. It's the private pond right next to Temsco Helicopters, so it is automatically under the city ordinance that prohibits shooting within 1/4 mile of a road. The private property goes right up against the airport boundary which is also closed to hunting. There are old/weathered signs there. You "could" access the area by public land and not see any signs saying you're trespassing, but the fact that these kids ran makes it look like they knew they were pressing their luck.

My reason for bringing this topic up again this year is the hope that people who hunt the Mendenhall Refuge, but anywhere else for that matter, will make a point to contact other hunters when we see stuff like this happening. If some "peer pressure" can be applied before it makes the news, maybe we can keep the anti-hunters from getting the foothold to close our access.

I can tell you that there is a movement building up steam blaming hunters for keeping waterfowl in the air, thus putting aircraft at risk of hitting them. A plan has been proposed to make a section of the refuge closed to hunting and dog walking to allow the birds another place to loaf instead of Auke Lake. I'm not excited to hear of any plans to limit access so problems need to be prevented as much as possible!

Erich

You are absolutely right to bring up the topic. Everybody needs to be aware of issues like this. I have a buddy that lives in JNU and hunts waterfowl, but does not get on the forum. I'll give him a call to let him know. He too is keen on not letting things go that end up in more restrictions to hunting and access.
    You speaking up lets us all decide when, if, and how to weigh in.
    ARR