Thread: shangri-la 5 in EPIC or ripstop nylon...whats the difference

Default shangri-la 5 in EPIC or ripstop nylon...whats the difference

So after reading the buy what gear threads I was looking to buy a Shangri-la 5. I noticed on the golite website it lists the fabric as

15 Denier Ripstop Nylon; Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Retardant Coating; 20 Denier Polyester No-See-Um Mesh....a waterproof coating....

on the prolitegear site is has a different fabric....it says:

The EPIC fabric is water resistant, windproof, breathable, washable, and has minimal stretch

Does anyone have experience with both of these types of fabrics. I want to purchase the tent and am liking the deal on prolitegear but do not have enough experience to know if it will hold up to the elements up here in AK. I want to use it for everything from camping to sheep and moose and float hunts. As we all know any trip in AK usually means a wet one. The EPIC does not say it is waterproof..

How you do think the EPIC fabric will hold up to the rains?

Thanks for your responses.

I was told by the GoLite rep. via web chat that the CEO of GoLite uses likes the Epic fabric for his personal tent. What that means, I don't know?

I own the original fabric type in the SL3 and can vouch for it's peformance in wet conditions. I'll have to get back to you on the Epic fabric though. I went with it and bought the ProLite SL5. It should be here next week.

Any updates or new information on the Golite in EPIC? Thinking of pulling the trigger on one from prolitegear. Thanks!

I got it but haven't had a chance to give it a good field test yet.