Thread: shipping antlers to lower 48

Default shipping antlers to lower 48

I and 2 friends have 3 sets of caribou antlers boxed and ready to ship from Anchorage to NE Alabama. We did not have time to get them ready to fly back with us so we left antlers with a friend in Anchorage. Price is more important than speed. UPS quoted almost $500. Any suggestions?

Timberman, what size is the box, or boxes? If they are the right size you can ship by USPS. I shipped excess baggage in a box from Kenai to Michigan that was 18x18x24" and it cost me $64 and was 65#'s. Now your antlers are probably alot bigger than that and I also shipped moose horns back that had to be split and it cost over $600. Nothing cheap about shipping, as all these guys on the forum can tell us, to or from Alaska. But it is worth it when we remember the memories.

will check with usps . i think the box with 3 sets is more like 18x30x40. thanks

Wow, those quotes are unreal. What an eye opener. Or should I say wallet opener.

Are you allowed to just drive through canada to the lower 48 with them? Im asking because i have several sets of antlers that i have and Im moving to Alaska in 2 weeks. im driving and dont know if im allowed to bring them

I've hauled several dozen moose antlers from Alaska through Canada in the last 2 years, and the only requirement is the need to have a US fish & wildlife service 3-177 form filled out. I've never had any problems hauling moose antlers through Canada. Good luck!

USPS- shrink wrap the skull plate, tape pipe insulation (foam) to the tips. 51" bull to Ky for $115

I sent three sets of caribou antlers that we had cut the skull in two and packed in one box to Omaha 15 years ago for $85. Delta airfreight. Thers was a little blood dripping out but didn't seem to bother them. Check with airline freight offices.

Definitely try USPS standard shipping. It will take a while, but will be the cheapest option. And make sure that you package it well. As said before, protect the tips of the antlers well with cardboard, plastic, whatever you think is sturdy enough. You don't necessarily need to box the antlers to ship them, but protect them well.

shmobag
    As for driving antlers through Canada with antlers, I have done it as well and I was only required to fill out a form when I came into Alaska. The Canadians didn't seem to concerned with them. Just to be sure though, I would have all harvest tags on my person in case someone is interested in checking them.