Thread: Ruger 77/44 rotary magazine rifle?

Default Ruger 77/44 rotary magazine rifle?

Does anyone hunt with this rifle? How does the .44 magnum do in a 18.5 inch barrel?

I am also interested in Ruger's compact laminate rifle or late model ruger frontier scout rifle in .243 or .308 if anyone knows about them. Does anyone know of places to look for new/used rifled that have been out of production for a few years?

Sobie2

Donít know about the 77/44 but 44mag from an 18Ē is a great woods dear rifle, better in the woods than the legendary 30/30 even!

Gunbroker.com for finding used stuff that isn't in the gun shop rack down the road from you, use their FFL finder for cheap shipping to you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Depends what you are hunting for. I bought a 77/44 for our range as a training rifle a few months ago, only ceterfire bolt gun that we can use indoors. Great gun, compact, light and darn accurate out of the box. 44Mag from a rifle will put down most stuff out to 100yds, with the right load/bullet. Ruger also do the 77 in 357 now which is a nice little deer gun (load it with 38s and it makes a great small game gun).
    The Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 is a nice gun, but for the $$ I would go for a AR10 or save a few $$ and get a used Ruger Frontier (77 Compact with a Scout mount) or even one of the 77 Compacts that are on Gunbroker for $500 and up. I like the Scout, but it is only a 2MOA gun and is really an answer looking for a question; it does nothing that a good bolt 308 at half the price won't do better. There are a myriad of 243s, 06's and 308s that will do a good woods/hunting job for a lot less $$.
    If you were in Kodiak I could get my hands on one of each (77/44, Gunsite Scout, Frontier and 77 Compact) for you to try.

Look at the Ruger compact magnum in 308 it has it all
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Look at the Ruger compact magnum in 308 it has it all
    I really like the looks of that Ruger Compact in .308 but that barrel is so short! How much velocity do you figure your going to loose going from a 24" barrel to a 16.5"? I've been looking around on the internet but apparently I'm not using the correct search terms!

Not enough to make much difference once sighted in.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You should PM AGL4Now and quiz him about the 77/44. We ordered one for him last year and I think he's put some miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I really like the looks of that Ruger Compact in .308 but that barrel is so short! How much velocity do you figure your going to loose going from a 24" barrel to a 16.5"? I've been looking around on the internet but apparently I'm not using the correct search terms!
    I have an Armalite AR 10 with a 16" barrel and it is loud but it shoots 1.5 MOA to 300 yds and I look at it as a "300 Savage" power level as compared to a longer barrel so there probably isn't much you can't kill with it using a good bullet placed in the right spot. I don't think the critter will know the differance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    You should PM AGL4Now and quiz him about the 77/44. We ordered one for him last year and I think he's put some miles on it.
    I have not hunted with my 77/44 as it is my survival /walk'about gun. And yes I have put a lot of miles on it this year. It weighs 5.9 pounds. If you order rings for it it takes Ruger #1 rings, and not Ruger 77 rings. I wanted the versatility of .44 shot shells for survival food procurement, and the ability carry it with Corbon 320 gr. hard cast for bear problems. It handles well, it feeds flawlessly.

Thanks for all the great replies! Looks like a small local ffl store is trying to locate a ruger frontier in stainless .308 or .234 and I need to man up and buy a 77/44 as well.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Does anyone hunt with this rifle? How does the .44 magnum do in a 18.5 inch barrel?

I am also interested in Ruger's compact laminate rifle or late model ruger frontier scout rifle in .243 or .308 if anyone knows about them. Does anyone know of places to look for new/used rifled that have been out of production for a few years?

Sobie2
    I used to own a compact rifle chambered for 260 remington. I found the muzzle blast to be too severe, and the loss in velocity to be substantial. I find no use for such a short rifle. This is a bit unusual considering all my rifles are carbines. I do however find a 20" barrel to not only handle well in any hunting situation, but also plenty short and compact enough. I've seen the 338 ruger compact magnum in action this past hunting season and I was very impressed. The little ruger compact magnum also comes chambered in 308 winchester and what you get is open sights as opposed to no back-up sights on the compact rifle. I find the little compact magnum rifle to be one of the best rifles Ruger has ever made. Plenty light, compact enough, and great open sights while being chambered for some very versatile short-action cartridges.