Thread: Nosler ballistic tips

Default Nosler ballistic tips

Who here has used them on moose?? Talking about 30 caliber 180's, I shot some out of my 308 Norma mag they shot very well. I do know nosler improved the design of the bullet yrs ago, the original design had a bad rep of blowing up on impact. I did shoot some accubonds they shot 3/4 inch but not as good as the ballistic tips 1/2 inch. Last time I used ballistic tips was out of my 6.5-284 using 120's on a couse deer. Would like to try partitions but they can be a very temperamental bullet they either group really well or group really really bad. thanks

I wouldnt use one on anthing bigger than a deer personally but I tend to err on the side of caution myself. Really the difference in accuracy you are getting with the Accubonds is negligible unless we are hunting long distance field mice here. Use a Partition and call it done who cares if it "only" shoots an inch, I hunted for years and killed truckloads of game with a rifle that might shoot an inch and a half if the planets were aligned and the moon phase was right.

Ballistic tips are varmint bullets and nobody will convince me otherwise, of course I would rather use them than a Berger "hunting" bullet, what a joke.

I pretty much agree with The Kid, but with one exception. In my experience the BT is a fine choice for long range shooting where reliable expansion is problematic.

I've used them in 7 mag more than any other, but have also taken game with them in 30, 27, 25 and 24 cal, and they can be hard on eating meat up close, while performing beautifully past 100, and especially past 300 when expansion gets iffy with many tough premiums. I've only recovered two of them- a 7mm 150 grain (7mm mag, 3150 fps MV, angling shot on a deer at a lasered 430 yards) and a 120 grain 25 cal (257 Roberts long-throat, 2900 fps MV, frontal shot on a deer at about 150, recovered from the ham). IIRC, the recovered 7mm had lost about 20% of its weight while the 25 cal had lost around half.

My experience lines up with the other posters so far.
    I shot factory ammo with Nosler Ballistic Tips a few years ago, maybe 2006? out of my 25WSSM. I found them to be too fragile at anything less than 200 yards or so. I hit a caribou in the spine at 125 yards, the bullet exploded, no exit hole. Did not break the spine. I did recover the animal. If that happened on a moose it would'nt be good. Granted you would be using a larger bullet than 115 grain, most likely. Sold the 25, went back to using my '06 with 180 gr. Partitions.

i have to agree with everyone above. The last deer I shot was hit in the front shoulder with a 30-06 180grain ballistic tip. The bullet completely exploded, causing lots of bloodshot meat and very little penetration. No way I would use it on anything bigger especially in a .30 faster than a 30-06. I'm in favor of two-holes so nosler partions or barnes triple-shocks for me.

I saw the performance of the accubonds was very impressed. I was just curious to see anyone used the ballistic tip... I think I will stick with the accubonds for now.

The thing I like about BTs is that they replicate the flight characteristics of the ABs very closely...

I make practice ammo out of the BTs and hunt with the more expensive ABs- in my rifle (and those of others) the two projectiles are pretty much interchangeable with no detectable shift of zero.

I've not shot any of the latest version- "BT Hunting"- at game but the performance I've gotten from the ABs is so good I'm unlikely to try. I'd not be hesitant though if the range was out there a bit to reduce impact velocity.

I concur they do shoot to the same point of impact. With partitions don't want to spend the money and they end up shooting like crap. I have some 225 partition for .338 loaded some up for my win mag looked like I shot a shotgun, but the rifle shoots hornady, sierras and speers very well cup and core bullets. So I will stick with the accubonds... And shoot ballistic tips as practice stuff at 20 bucks for 50 is not to bad.

My uncle shot a full growd bull on my first hunting trip to AK with a .300 win mag. The bull was 250 yards away. (I could not get close enough with my bow so my uncle got the go-ahead.)

He hit center chest behind the front shoulder as the bull was facing left. The audible smack of the bullet was very obvious. The bull whirled 180 degrees and stood his ground. Another smack reported. Bullet went in almost the same hole as the first exited. Bull did a backflip/antler plant and was dead.

The bullet was the 180gr BT. I call them Coyote rounds because I had shot a couple Mule Deer in Montana at under 100 yards with very little penetration, but resulting in very dead deer...I would not use them on big game.

Apparently they worked fine on moose IF they are far enough away to get good expansion.

The first bullet broke a rib going out only - and fully exited. The second bullet hit a rib going in and lodged in the hide opposite side of entry.

i found them to be very accurate. 57grn od IMR4350 and a 180grn BT in my .06 shot 3/4" groups and 100. They did expand a little to rapidly. I killed a ton of deer with them but would never use them on Bou and Moose. for those i would use the good old nosler Partition. They NEVER ever failed me.

Had a friend lose a nice bull elk in Colorado using a 7mm with 150 gr NBT's. I shoot 180gr Barnes TSX out of my 308 Norma Mag. Friend shot his bull with it this year. Shot was only 30 yds but bullet performed perfectly. Quartering away slightly the bullet took both lungs and opposite shoulder stopping under the hide. He went ten yards and tipped over. Picture of that bull in the 2011 album-just under 70"

With Partition bullets mag well soft tip deformation, flat base and low BC numbers don't lend themselves to long range accuracy.

However, I've had good accuracy results in .308Win, 300RUM, 338WM and 375 Ruger when loaded to .025 off the lands. My brother uses them almost exclusively while hunting in Alaska and would be hard pressed to change.

A moose shot between the ribs or in the neck with a Ballistic Tip would surely die. A moose shot in the shoulder with the same bullet would lose a lot of meat.

I like the Accubonds and do all my hunting with them, from moose to antelope. I have never had a failure with them and have used them exclusively for about the past 8 years. I, like others, shoot ballistic tips for practice. J.