Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Strahan

Default Question for Strahan

How many of the rivers that you wrote about have you actually floated?

I'm asking because some of your information seems inaccurate.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Ouch. See ya on the flip side. But will say funny and true. Sent u a rep point, prolly the last you will ever get
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Ouch. See ya on the flip side. But will say funny and true. Sent u a rep point, prolly the last you will ever get
    There's no religion, politics or sexual innuendoes. Seems like a keeper to me! Wish I would have saved some reps for you guys, this could get entertaining. Now then where's the remote I need to fast forward

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    How many of the rivers that you wrote about have you actually floated?

I'm asking because some of your information seems inaccurate.
    I'll be the first to ask...What info are you refering to being inaccurate?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

For sure I don't know the answer, but every river guidebook I have ever read seemed inaccurate when I got on the river. Part of that is because river's change character at different times of the season and different flow rates. But I suspect most of the differences have to do with everyone having a different perspective when they are out there. I know others have questioned my write ups of river trips. They didn't see the same things I did, and they encountered a different experience altogether. And of course there is the issue of dealing with the writer's faulty memory. And we all have that issue.

Sorry, I just saw this thread. The relevant part of the question concerns the accuracy of the information. Please direct those to me via email so I know what they are. In the years it has been out only two errors have been reported to me. One concerned the Pro Pioneer canoe length and the other was about Lobo Lake, on the Sheenjek. Both have been reported to the publisher for the next printing. It took me 12 years to write that book, but even so I am sure I made other mistakes. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Specifics are constructive and I welcome those via email. Our forums are not the appropriate place to hash them out.

I might as well mention here that we just received word from the publisher that they are no longer offering Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers, Chris Batin's "Hunting in Alaska", or any of their books to anyone for resale. Something about wanting to capture all the revenue for themselves. We sold our last two copies of Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers yesterday, and will no longer have this title. I want to offer my thanks to everyone here who purchased it; especially for all the positive comments. The most satisfying part is knowing that it helped someone.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I might as well mention here that we just received word from the publisher that they are no longer offering Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers, Chris Batin's "Hunting in Alaska", or any of their books to anyone for resale. Something about wanting to capture all the revenue for themselves. We sold our last two copies of Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers yesterday, and will no longer have this title. I want to offer my thanks to everyone here who purchased it; especially for all the positive comments. The most satisfying part is knowing that it helped someone.

Mike
    Interesting... I wonder what their plan is for marketing those books, amazon? Are they going to be advertised on this site and sold directly through the publisher?

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    Interesting... I wonder what their plan is for marketing those books, amazon? Are they going to be advertised on this site and sold directly through the publisher?
    We really don't know what their plans are. The book will not be advertised on this site, and Outdoors Directory will not direct people to competing websites where they might find it. Also we will not allow members to post links to competing sites in our forums or elsewhere on our site. There is no other option for us; I have to let the business make that decision. Regardless of my personal ties with my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", I have to let it go. I wish it was not that way, but it is.

Thanks for asking-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

We really don't know what their plans are. The book will not be advertised on this site, and Outdoors Directory will not direct people to competing websites where they might find it. Also we will not allow members to post links to competing sites in our forums or elsewhere on our site. There is no other option for us; I have to let the business make that decision. Regardless of my personal ties with my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", I have to let it go. I wish it was not that way, but it is.

Thanks for asking-

-Mike
    Mike,

Does the bolded text above just pertain to sites about the above books or we can not post links on here to any site that may be considered "competing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Mike,

Does the bolded text above just pertain to sites about the above books or we can not post links on here to any site that may be considered "competing"?
    No problem about linking and such... I just don't want to end up selling books for a store that's competing with ours. Does that make sense? This is all new to me so I'm trying to figure out the best way forward.

-Mike

Thanks for asking-

-Mike
    Mr Strahan,
    if the book about floating rivers in Alaska is no longer available - the floating community will endure a great and sad lose. my husband and children have found the book to be an indespensible source of information.
    thank you so much for all your hard work withboth this websight and the book.
    Connie & familly

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    How many of the rivers that you wrote about have you actually floated?I'm asking because some of your information seems inaccurate.
    "I pardon you." Amon Goeth.

Well - my thoughts are -- Mike's passion is to share what he has learned through his many trips and time, learning expeditions in ALASKA back country and access to her with many types of inflatable, air plane friendly, "blow-up boats". In my opinion, he has helped a lot of people from having to get out of BAD experiences that you only learn from - having been there your self.
    Good work and keep up the passion alive- Mate-
    Goo

The book will not be advertised on this site, and Outdoors Directory will not direct people to competing websites where they might find it.
    That's really unfortunate for everyone. While I understand the business logic, it seems like a book worth making an exception for, particularly as you're the owner of AOD. At a minimum, the AOD bookstore could continue to list the prior edition, as sold out or no longer available through this website.

Regardless of my personal ties with my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", I have to let it go.
    Does that mean they've cut off your royalties as author, as well as your marketing?
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Phish finder...... You made a pretty bold statement 3 days ago and I asked for some clairification and no respose yet. Care to share?

For sale " Rare out of print float hunting book" 395.00
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Phish finder...... You made a pretty bold statement 3 days ago and I asked for some clairification and no respose yet. Care to share?

Umm he's been banned?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post

Look directly under Phish's name in his post... Explains his absence.

I went to one remote place described in the book, which I had bought. The description was not perfect in terms of some of the distances. I was with somone who had been there many times, but the description was close enough IMO to have helped someone who went there for the first time and who, of course, was armed with the right topo maps.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I went to one remote place described in the book, which I had bought. The description was not perfect in terms of some of the distances. I was with somone who had been there many times, but the description was close enough IMO to have helped someone who went there for the first time and who, of course, was armed with the right topo maps.
    Marine,

The distances were measured with digital mapping software, the most accurate way I know (short of running the river with the GPS on the entire time).

In measuring these rivers, I discovered that the distances listed in other guidebooks was off in some cases and correct in others. What was interesting is that if an error appeared in one guidebook, the same error appeared in "Floating Alaskan Rivers", by Marilyn Carter (out of print), "Alaska Paddling Guide" by Jack Mosby and David Dapkus (out of print), and the Alaska River Logs, which were produced by the federal Bureau of Outdoor Recreation (BOR). These repeat errors led me to the conclusion that the only original research done on river length was done by the BOR, and subsequent authors assumed it was accurate. I wrote off the BOR's errors to the technology of the day.

That said, I am very interested in any errors you have found, and would like the chance to correct them (if possible). As I have said, I am sure that in a book this size there are mistakes. I would be most grateful for any proof you can offer that the mileage is not accurate. Please send that to me via email. Same goes to anyone out there who has discovered errors.

Thanks!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Umm he's been banned?????...
    Nobody has asked about this, but I think I should clarify that he was not banned for asking this question... he requested being banned, and it was for another reason (I don't know what that was... one of our mods fielded it, and accommodated his request).

I welcome questions of this kind, so please don't feel like you can't ask.

-Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast