Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Pot rope, Floating vs. Non-Floating

Question Shrimp Pot rope, Floating vs. Non-Floating

I have heard arguments for both, what is best? Why? I'm interested in the thoughts of the group.

I value your input, as some of you have more experience than I do at this.

Default rope

dont leave any rope floating on the surface - another boater could get it in his prop, cut your line, and your pots are lost. Sinking line should be used near the surface. Floating line might be good to keep your line floating above the rocks in between pots on the bottom, it also could make the rope more prone to entanglement during tidal currents. I think most guys use sinking line.

go thru the old forums and older posts, there is a lot of good info on shrimping.

good luck- has there been any regulation changes? is opener still the fifteenth?

Default floating rope

Jet boats and floating rope do not go well togather.
    That rope stopped that 350 like right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Under $60 for 600' of leaded line

no brainer to me. all i use and never a problem. why take a chance and lose a lot more than the cost of the line? Plus get bouy balls, not the junk foam things with the flags. You get what you pay for. the leaded line rolls up nice in a tight pile and is easy to deal with. Do it right the first time and save yourself time and money.

Talking my first skipper told me...

"cowboys use ropes...these are LINES!!!"
    sinking line on your pots for the aforementioned reasons....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

yea i agree with akrstbout. the lead core is so cheap that even if you lost it all you wouldn't be out a small fortune. i have 2 holds in the ole' tabasco that when i reel the line in with my electric reel (from dewey's i might add), i just coil and throw it in there.

Question More questions

The cost of the “line”(I stand corrected ) is not so much of a concern. Normally shrimp like rocky areas.....Yes? If you have a line 600ft and your in say….400ft of water, how much of a concern is it for the other 200ft (which is now lying on the rocky bottom) getting tangled around large rocks? If at low tide the line tangles your buoy will disappear until next low tide? Maybe this isn’t as big of a problem as I imagine (I have a good imagination )? If you use the same scenario with floating line and attached (with a halibut clip) enough weight at about 300ft to hold the 300 feet of line down, would this work better?

Default Floaing

My line floats a little, braided nylon. I tie a 1 lb. halibut weight 200 feet down. Never a problem. One of my partners uses the weighted line and we frequent the same spots. Neither one of us has ever had a problem in the rocks. If anything hangs up it is usually a pot between two rocks.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default akpilot

never had a problem dropping in 400' of water with 600' of line. i think the bouy drifts in tide and keeps the line up. never tangled never lost never a problem in three seasons. you can get leaded in line from 200' to 1200', buy what length you think you will need. but longer and cut to what you want it at. i think dewies had 600' of leaded line for $49 not 100% but i thought it was cheap, about what i paid for it 3 years ago. and get the A-2 bouys. i put two pots one line and three on the other. or two and then one by itself. anyway you do it just get leaded line. pulled up others guy crap once and nylon was a mess on foam bouy.

I guess i'm a shrimp'in cowboy cause i use pot rope! I would never use sinking rope between my pots, it does hang in the rocks and it loads up with mud/sand and will wear out quicker(but 99% of you folks will never haul it enough to notice it). The nylon will also sink like a stone so the only place for it would be as a top shot of bouyline. As for bouys i would size them according to how many pots you will fish on a line, but more importantly and nobody seems to mention this is how much weight you have in your pots, lots of weight= bigger bouy can be used. Light pot and the big bouy floats it away(somebody stole my pot/pots). I personaly use a smaller buoyball with a bullet bouy(we called them surge jugs in the lobsta biz)) ahead of it on the bouyline. Works for me but what do i know after 25years of lobster'in in another life.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Surge Jug?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I personaly use a smaller buoyball with a bullet bouy(we called them surge jugs in the lobsta biz)) ahead of it on the bouyline.

What's the reason for the surge jug?

I usually tell all my customers to go with 1/4 or 5/16 floatline due to the reason that it has a less chance of getting snagged at the bottom. However, you do have to tie a weight down about 50ft-100ft from the buoy.

I've seen and told others to do a hybrid with 100ft-150ft of groundline for the buoy spliced into floatline for the pots if you have both laying around.

It's preference really.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    What's the reason for the surge jug?
    It takes up the initial slack & strain of the bouyline, the surge jug also gave a slack line to the highflyer style of bouys we used lobsta fishing so the bouy could stand up straight in the wind and be seen easier. By the way we fished 40 pot lines with the pots spaced 25 fathoms apart and had 3 bouys on each line. 2 haulers on the boat stacked on top of each other so we could haul the main line and the middle bouyline at the same time, we never stopped hauling gear. Late in the season & thru the winter we tied 2 lines together for a 80 pot line with 5 bouys on it. 2000 fathoms(over 2 miles) of 5/8" main line made for quite a pile on deck

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default My Set Up

600' of 5/16" leaded line with an A-2 bouy at one end and an 8# mushroom anchor/4' of 5/16" chain at the other. 100' of floating line connects to the anchor chain via clip; at the other end is a knot. I attach pots at regular intervals (3 pots max) on the floating line with long line (aka halibut) clips. The knot is a safety precaution to prevent the clips/pots from slipping off the end of the rope. The pots are the Donaldson variety. I do not plan to put weight in them, but let the anchor keep everything secured. The ADF&G shrimp fact sheet says that the puts should be allowed to 'swing into the current'.

Based on what I've read on the forum, I figure that the max depth with this set up is 400 feet. I have more floating line to add if I want to shrimp deeper.

I have two of these set ups to allow prospecting, which is half the fun of fishing for me.

AIH sells 600' spools of 5/16" leaded line for $43 each.

Does this work? No clue - this will be my first year of shrimping!

Comments/criticism welcome.

Default My Set Up

BTW - great forum!
    Last edited by MischiefManaged; 03-29-2007 at 13:17. Reason: duplicate post

I add weight to my line. Not problem here. The lines sinks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    600' of 5/16" leaded line with an A-2 bouy at one end and an 8# mushroom anchor/4' of 5/16" chain at the other. 100' of floating line connects to the anchor chain via clip; at the other end is a knot. I attach pots at regular intervals (3 pots max) on the floating line with long line (aka halibut) clips. The knot is a safety precaution to prevent the clips/pots from slipping off the end of the rope. The pots are the Donaldson variety. I do not plan to put weight in them, but let the anchor keep everything secured. The ADF&G shrimp fact sheet says that the puts should be allowed to 'swing into the current'.

Based on what I've read on the forum, I figure that the max depth with this set up is 400 feet. I have more floating line to add if I want to shrimp deeper.

I have two of these set ups to allow prospecting, which is half the fun of fishing for me.

AIH sells 600' spools of 5/16" leaded line for $43 each.

Does this work? No clue - this will be my first year of shrimping!

Comments/criticism welcome.
    Those halibut snaps do come undone from time to time, had a couple of friends lose pots last year because of that. Pots "swinging into the current" yeah F&G knows what they are talking about i think if they move all the more chance of them hanging up. Your correct with your thinking for max depth you can fish with 600' of bouyline.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

My concern isn't necessarily losing some cheap line. Lose three pots at the end of that line in addition to the rest of the hardware and its not as easy to swallow. $80 for finished pot x3=$240 + some cheap line at $40 + misc. snaps and rope between pots for a total over $300. That would be like tossing my GLoomis overboard for no good reason and that simply isn't going to happen. Maybe I'm just paranoid to lose my gear but the first anchor I lost wasn't cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Those halibut snaps do come undone from time to time, had a couple of friends lose pots last year because of that. Pots "swinging into the current" yeah F&G knows what they are talking about i think if they move all the more chance of them hanging up. Your correct with your thinking for max depth you can fish with 600' of bouyline.
    I've had the halibut clip come loose also and lost a pot. I know how to use them, but I still don't know how it came off. Now I use the halibut clip and I use a giant snap swivel that I attach to my main line.

The snap swivels stay permanently attached to my pots with 400lb mono leader.

Potbuilder, how do you connect your pots on to your line when lauching them overboard?

Oh yeah and I only use A-0 dark green buoys (special ordered from www.seamar.com) never had a problem yet with anyone taking any of my equipment, but I've got to use a GPS to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I've had the halibut clip come loose also and lost a pot. I know how to use them, but I still don't know how it came off. Now I use the halibut clip and I use a giant snap swivel that I attach to my main line.

The snap swivels stay permanently attached to my pots with 400lb mono leader.

Potbuilder, how do you connect your pots on to your line when lauching them overboard?

Oh yeah and I only use A-0 dark green buoys (special ordered from www.seamar.com) never had a problem yet with anyone taking any of my equipment, but I've got to use a GPS to find them.
    I usually charge for this knowledge but tonight its free Here's the knot i use for attaching my "snoods" to the mainline. The black rope is the mainline & the white w/red tracer is the snood (i don't use that white/red rope for snoods but its all i had at hand right now & i don't whip the ends either for the snood).
    Attachment 2518
    Last edited by potbuilder; 06-30-2007 at 00:55.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast