Thread: alaska land

Default alaska land

Looking for ideas on land searches. I've been on the net for 3 days looking up varius combinations seeking property. Many of the real estate offices & FSBO sites are rather expensive spreads (NOT what we're looking for). Any web sites, ideas, personal knowledge , is MUCH appreciated.

We're Alaskans looking for a relocate/options for spending time. Probably remote- though I'm torn between being able to drive to it (& not wanting other people to be able to drive to it). Boat in is ok- but since we'd like to travel during the summer also, we don't want a sled trail only (or fly in). We're pretty flexible on area, but prefer no neighbors & at least to not be able to see them. We'd like a fair amount of acreage- so the sticks is GOOD! Timbered, not swamp. We're not rich folks- just an Alaska Family. We currently own remote property, so have an understanding about what we face- but looking for more space (ours is 4 acres) & want to find something interior-ish (we're in SE).

B/T/W any comments regarding areas is read with interest too! Thank You!

The University of Alaska is selling off land in many areas now. Contact UA Land Management ,1815 Bragaw Street,Suite 101 Anchorage 99508-3438 Phone 907-786-7780 (24 hours)

Don't forget that just 'cause there isn't a road doesn't mean people won't be able to drive to your property. In the winter with snow on the ground, there are snowmachines everywhere up here. Good luck with your search! It's beautiful up here!

jubilation,

I found my place on remoteproperties.com. Bernie owns the agency and does good work. I also used to keep an eye on landinalaska.com.

A few thoughts about the search: I think youíll see many new listings start popping up in April or May. Many people thinking of selling will wait until then to put their properties on the market.

I spent a lot of time looking at the advertisements, and all the information offered. I wanted to check out Google Earth, topographic maps, tax records, mineral estate info, the likelihood of mining in the area, river and local weather data from the National Weather Service. The idea was to find a disqualifying feature before committing the time, money, and effort into going to a property. Of course, itís very important to actually walk the property without snow cover before considering making an offer.

If you like a property near a river, make sure enough of the parcel to suit you is safe from high water. If the property is accessed primarily by river, expect several months during freeze-up in which travel on the ice is not yet safe, and several months prior to breakup when travel on the ice becomes increasingly hazardous. So without pushing the season, there might be 5 good months of water travel, and 3 good months of ice travel each year.

If youíre torn between road system convenience, and off road privacy, maybe youíd like railroad access. North of Talkeetna, and maybe a good distance towards Fairbanks, the Alaska Railroad makes flag stops for people, some of whom are cabin owners.

Black spruce thrive in wet soils near swamps. The much larger white spruce donít tolerate swampy conditions well. White spruce forests have been struggling in south central Alaska because of spruce bark beetles. Some people bought large parcels with hundreds of trees, and lost nearly all of them in a few years. Spruce forests also burned more easily than birch forests during the Millerís Reach Fire of 1996. Flying over the area during the aftermath, one would see miles of devastated spruce interrupted by islands of birch only singed around the edges. I would think a mixed forest at least 3/4 deciduous would resist fire, insects, and blight the best and would also be most interesting during the change of seasons.

The search for a place is half the fun! Good luck!

Just remember that inexspensive land in inexpensive because there is expense involved in accessing it, or the current owner hasn't found a way to enjoy the land.

Also make absolutely sure you visit any parcel you are interested in. Years ago we say an add for 10 acres outside of Talkeetna, it had summer road access and a couple hundred feet of streem bordering the property. It was a lovely piece of land. Unfortunately, across the street and one lot over the owner had scattered garbage and detrius over litterly every square foot of his lot. Needless to say, we didn't get the land.

Which is the catch 22 shame of AK, finding your nice remote end of the road property, usually means they'll be an end of the roader living out there.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I am sure you have checked the state land auction site already, but if not here is the link.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    Don't forget that just 'cause there isn't a road doesn't mean people won't be able to drive to your property. In the winter with snow on the ground, there are snowmachines everywhere up here. Good luck with your search! It's beautiful up here!
    Ditto on that!

The second year I was living full time on my "remote property" the borough's tax assessor shows up in my front yard on a snow machine. Really burst my bubble about living off the road system.

Good luck!

Default Land Listings

We just found our little "remote" property here: http://www.landinalaska.com/. We should close next week.

Where is this little peice of remote property ? Tell us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Where is this little peice of remote property ? Tell us about it.
    It's up near Swentna, just a small cabin and few acres. I can't say a lot just yet - haven't closed yet - haven't been there yet. Lot's of going on faith, but my wife and I are still in our early forties, so this is a "down payment" on future uses since we still live in Texas. However, we've already made contact with our neighbor and he is going to be looking after the place for us. We'll be up for several weeks this next spring, summer, and fall to work on the place, fish, and maybe luck into a black bear to harvest (which I've been beat at when trying for them in the mountains - I'd take a nice one near the cabin if I got a chance).

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    - haven't been there yet
    Dude, you just violated the primary rule on buying land/cabins up here - check it out first. Hopefully it will be what you were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Dude, you just violated the primary rule on buying land/cabins up here - check it out first. Hopefully it will be what you were expecting.
    Maybe we did, but got lots of photos, spent a good deal of time in communication with a couple of neighbors, and it was as a price that if we get totally burned, it's not going to sink us. The neighbors think we are getting a great deal - the place wouldn't have lasted.

We also did a lot of research on the transportation aspect of getting there and back, can be expensive, but we're not blind to it. I'm also in on a Cessna 150 taildragger that will get us within a mile - neighbor has given us permission to use and the trail to the cabin is already there.

We'll find out, and it'll be an adventure one way or the other.

Thanks for the ideas all! It is fun looking, but I get all excited & anxious feeling. Lots of the land I've found seems to be prior year DNR or similar sales & has many owners are South & have never even BEEN to the properties. My better half 'decided' (which means leaning that way short of some killer deal) that we want a 'no tax' area. I was sort of burnt off, but it actually narrows the search somewhat. =)

So, someone explain this building on permafrost- wha??? Sounds sketchy to me! And where does most of this permafrost live? I'd LOVE to have a huge parcel- but permafrost, methane, possibly pipelines- just sound weird to me!

Ok, so that aside... anyone have anything interesting to tell me about Nenana,Anderson,Clear type area? Or CopperCenter,Glenallen? How about Tok? What if you had to vote? Not sure what the criteria would be- maybe away from folks, decently friendly communities, buildable ground, and of course GAME- I dunno, you decide. I've been to most of these areas, but didn't spend enough time to have a worthwhile opinion- other than saying "wow, it's really pretty", which describes most of Alaska.

Thanks & if you have any SE questions- I'll happily answer.

no votes- really? I've been trying to be patient! I know you all have some knowledge that I don't have.... share, please!

I found my Property at the Canyon Lake Subdivision on Ebay. I paid the owner and assumed a small loan
    from the DNR that I will pay off by the end of the year. I had always wanted a remote place in Alaska since
    I first visited in the early 90s. This has everything I wanted so I went for it as I knew it would not last.
    I have a 1/4 mile walk to the lake and a 1/4 mile walk to the River. Airstrip and float Plane access and
    only 65 nw of Anchorage. Property Taxes are $65 per year.