Thread: Dog pulling sled

Default Dog pulling sled

So last year I noticed several people either letting their dog pull them or a small long sled with thier gear in the sled. What are your favorite ways of doing this? dog then sled then you with a rope or what any help or pics would be great! Thanks in advance!

Some good info and links here Kevin: http://www.alaskaskijoring.org/train...tting-started/

Best set up is to pull the pulk yourself; dog(s) out front assist you in the effort.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The market for pulk sleds is small, and manufacturers come and go, so it can be difficult to find quality gear. I have an older sled made by Great Outdoors in Minnesota. It's a fantastic sled and highly recommended. I have not looked them up in a long time, but it looks like this link http://www.skipulk.com/products%20and parts.html will get you in the neighborhood.

Edit: Below is the sled I use. (Excerpted from the above link).

21. 2010 EWS Expedition Pulk

$599 plus $49 shipping. --

Sold OUT FOR WINTER 2011
    Checkpout the link for Nordhaus for a large fiberglass pulk.

Great Outdoors products were known as some of the best pulk systems and have been used by arctic explorers like Anne Bancroft, Will Steger and Lonnie Dupree.

The 2010 EWS 6 foot fiberglass "Expedition" system is similar to the renowned Great Outdoors Expedition pulk with several improvements.
    1. The sled now has UHMW poly runner (dogsled runner material)
    2. We now have a full length #10 YKK zipper (with zipper pulls)
    3. We have replaced the mid-pole coupler with threaded stainless couplers that have no play and are incredibly strong ( No slop or pins any more)
    4. We have added padding below the rear harness adjustment buckle
    5. We have changed the harness attachment to a stainless pin and ball joint at the harness end for outstanding control.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Awesome! thats exactly what i was looking for, it give me alot of ideas. I will probably start off small and get a sled from Sportsmans or REI and rig somethin up at home and see how it does before i get too serious.

Skiing with a well engineered pulk is a joy. Well worth the investment if you're inclined to ski overnighters in the backcountry. Infinitely better than skiing with a pack.

If you're going to ski with a dog and have never done so, I recommend hooking up with someone experienced to help get you set up correctly. Proper fitting of your dogs harness, and use of a bungee loaded tug line is extremely important to avoid injury to your dog. Please don't just use any old piece of rope. Have patience. Have fun.
    #Resist

I will add to taiga's advice and say that when you get to the point where you want to hook up a dog.... Sometimes less is more in the pulling/speed department. I would much rather have a dog that pulls steadily at a brisk walk than a dog that is constantly trying to get into a lope or fast trot. Those dogs that pull too hard make it more strenuous for you(and dangerous, imo) than a dog that can accept a steady slower pace. When I got into "real" sled dogs for mid distance racing, I basically quit skijoring with dogs partly because they were so conditioned to traveling fast that they threatened to kill me everytime I took one out. I missed having my "lazy" skijoring dog big time

Of course having a dog that will obey commands without hesitation (ie whoa!!!) improves the situation tremendously...

For these reasons, I say be careful of getting a sled dog and assuming it will be suitable for skijoring off the bat. I found that most of my sled dogs disliked skijoring....and were a bit...ummm.... inconsistent...taking alot of time to retrain them would have undoubtably worked, but I never did it...