Thread: Dashmount GPS

Default Dashmount GPS

Has anyone found a good dashmounted GPS with Alaska Maps? I would like to add a GPS to my Ranger but I haven't found one that I like yet.

Several times this year I found myself trying to find my tracks to get back to the trail it would be nice to have a GPS that I could mount on the dash and have a big enough screen that I could see it while driving and follow it back to the trail. It would also be nice to have some maps of alaska loaded on it. The screen on my Rino is just a little small.

I run a Ram mount that clamps to the roll cage. Great view, right at eve level. Surveyors exchange has them as well as dash mounted pods with an adhesive or bolt on base. I like a clean dash so I opted for the cage mount. I'll post up a pic tonight.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I just sold my Garmin Oregon 550 and upgraded to theGarmin Montana 650T. Much bigger screen. Also bought a dash mount with a tacky bottom that doesn't slide around and you don't have to tap holes for.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75228

Morgan
    Soldotna, Ak

I use a RAM mount, my Delorme GPS, and download high quality topo maps for the areas I plan to ride in. The basic maps come with the unit, high res maps are extra but Delorme sells an annual membership that allows unlimited downloads for a year for something around $30, or you can pay $0.10 a quad.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I use the Garmin Nuvi 550T. It is touch screen, waterproof, and you can get maps for AK. I mount it to my plastic half-windshield with the suction cup thing and it has never broken off even on the roughest trail. It can also be used in your vehicle as a navigation gps like a TOM TOM (voice directions etc.). Really nice for the money. Way less than an Oregon or Colorado and bigger screen. I just did a search on the internet and I cannot find a Garmin Nuvi 550T. That model may be discontinued so you'd have to find it on ebay or something. I bought mine in 2010.

http://gps.toptenreviews.com/navigat...iews-27851.htm

Okay, just took the time to read the information in the above link

When most people think of a navigation GPS they think of placing it in a car and that is where it will stay and be used. However, the Garmin Nuvi 550 offers three different modes. You can now navigate your way while on the water, road or on your favorite bicycling trail. Just because you are not on main roads or highways doesnít mean you should be lost. This is why Garmin made the Garmin Nuvi 550 for those who want to get out and have a little extra fun. With the purchase of preloaded micro SD cards you will have access to additional maps across the world for step-by-step directions no matter what country you find yourself in. Along with city maps you can also load topographical maps and inland lake marine maps for an adventure off the beaten path

Looks like there is a Garmin Nuvi 550 to replace my 550T (back in 2010 the "T" stood for topo maps).

RangerGps.jpgThis is the only photo I could find with it mounted on my half-windshielf. Works really well. I am really happy with it. Can navigate with gloves on! and plugs into the 12V accessory plug. It has an internal memory and an external memory card that can be upgraded to whatever size of memory you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    http://gps.toptenreviews.com/navigat...iews-27851.htm

Okay, just took the time to read the information in the above link

When most people think of a navigation GPS they think of placing it in a car and that is where it will stay and be used. However, the Garmin Nuvi 550 offers three different modes. You can now navigate your way while on the water, road or on your favorite bicycling trail. Just because you are not on main roads or highways doesnít mean you should be lost. This is why Garmin made the Garmin Nuvi 550 for those who want to get out and have a little extra fun. With the purchase of preloaded micro SD cards you will have access to additional maps across the world for step-by-step directions no matter what country you find yourself in. Along with city maps you can also load topographical maps and inland lake marine maps for an adventure off the beaten path

Looks like there is a Garmin Nuvi 550 to replace my 550T (back in 2010 the "T" stood for topo maps).
    Thanks, 1S1K that is exactly what I was looking for. I have looked at the Montana 650T and itís a very nice GPS with a lot of function itís just more than Iím looking.

The Nuvi 550 looks perfect thanks for sharing.

Before you buy new check out ebay for this model. I bought "refurbished" and it comes with the same manufacturer warranty, but usually less than retail price.

For example: http://www.drivengps.com/Garmin-Nuvi...p/GD123574.htm

Now that I'm thinking about it maybe it was not 550T is was just the Nuvi 550 and the Nuvi 500 IS NOT topo compatible. Either way look for the Garmin Nuvi 550 and you'll be fine. You do have to pay extra $99 for the AK maps and they are not as detailed as National Geo topos or USGS topos, but they are decent and at a minimum you can do custom tracks and back track.

I use the Garmin Street Pilot 2720. This thing is great. Garmin no longer makes them, but still will service them if there is a problem. They are available on ebay ether new,used, or refurbished. These are water resistant. They have a little bigger screen than the hand held. I down load the Topo 100K maps into it. I use the Ram suction cup mount, and use on snowmachine for winter and summer use in the Ranger. I have 12V outlets on both machines that makes change over very easy. The suction mount has always held, even in the cold winter. The unit has both the topo and street maps in it so if you want you can use it in your vehicle. It will also talk to you but hard to hear on the machines.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning