Thread: lower Skilak outlet

Default lower Skilak outlet

Just wanted to see if anybody has tried walking to the outlet this time of year
    for trout fishing. I'm guessing water level is fairly low right now, thought i might
    try this wk. Or if anybody has any other options for walking/bank fishing would
    be greatly appreciated. Not looking for anybodys honey hole thxs.

actually the water has been up, like july water levels, I would think about it or wait til you have heard first hand the water is down.

Water coming down pretty fast, but still high for walking in. Would wait until it drops another foot or more.
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Bring some bear protection! We floated the Refuge Saturday and Sunday last week and probably ran into about 6-8 bears. That trail and the area around the inlet are usually packed with Brownies. As for fishing it, We had low numbers of fish but all were quality. Nothing under 20". Every fish we landed had no torn-up lips. They all looked healthy and like they hadn't been hooked too often. As for fishing that section of the river it is great and you can do a bit of hiking around the mouth. They don't call it the miracle mile for nothin'.

Thxs to all for the info appreciate all of it, I probably will hold off for a few days.LItoAK are you refering to the upper part of Skilak? I guess im not really sure which part is the refuse. I was kind of hoping the lower part didnt get quite as much bear activity as the upper but im not suprised. Thxs for the heads up.

Slightly off topic but does the sterling weather fairly accurately represent the wind conditions in the area? I know the lake can get NASTY in a hurry and I suppose a decent east wind has to make things a bit rough. Thinking about taking my larger kayak from lower Skilak to bings sometime sooner than later.

On a similar note, As long as I have to traverse the mile or so to the outlet, would it be worth trolling something along the way?

Winds almost always pick up in the afternoon. Your best bet is to make the short paddle across the lake sometime in the morning. The rest of the trip will be somewhat shielded.

Morgan
    -Soldotna

Here is a link to the Skilak Guard Station (it's above the lower boat launch)
    http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapi...station=MSGSA2

ive been to the outlet the past two days. I've been the only one out there each day. Fishing has been so so, caught a couple. The water has been glass, and the suns been shining. Water depth is fine. You can hike it from the lower launch and get there. Bring gun. I've been taking the scanoe with 2hp. If you had a canoe i wouldn't hesitate to use it these past few days. It can always get rough, but you are close to the shoreline.

Justin thxs for recent update, planning on giving it a try early nxt wk.