Thread: First Grouse

Default First Grouse

Went out two weeks ago and got my first bird, few birds actually. Had to hike three miles from the parking lot before we could start hunting. Found out about the area from a friend who said he saw a bunch of grouse the week before when he was riding his 4 wheeler.IMG_0111.jpgthis was the total haul for the three of us who went. I am new to hunting, but i am really hooked after this trip.

Legs kill grouse!
    There are many rewards to be had from upland bird hunting but none will come easy. Nothing worth having ever does.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Did not mean to make it appear that i did not enjoy the three mile walk to the start of hunting. It was some beautiful country just further than I have walked before to start grouse hunting. That might be why these were the first one I got.

You misunderstood me Monk. I didn't think you were complaining at all.

I merely wanted to emphasize that if someone wants a fruitful bounty such as yours they will have to work equally hard.

Congratulations and welcome to the brotherhood!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

thanks tailwind!

Good for you, nothing better than working hard to collect these much maligned birds that, taken on their terms are a great upland bird.

Be prepared to spend a bunch of money and time now that you're in the game. Great that you're getting your start on the "small" stuff. I chase it all but the small game are probably still my most rewarding.
    Go Big Red!

Indeed legs kill grouse. Become the student; enjoy the adventure. Welcome!

Jim