Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assistant guide/ meat packer requirements (not sure if this is where I ask)

Default Assistant guide/ meat packer requirements (not sure if this is where I ask)

For you guides out there, for one, what is required(both legaly and what would YOU want for an assiastant) to be an assistant hunting guide and/or meat packer (are they the same?)

And how many of you have assistants/packers?

Next spring/fall that is what I want to get into so any information would be great!

(Moderators: if this is in the wrong section, sorry)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

assistant hunting guide and/or meat packer (are they the same?)

OK, I'll take the easy question. NO they are not the same. Assistant Guides are licensed, and must pass a test to get a license. Packers/Camp Workers are NOT licensed.

I'll go one further.
    To become a licensed assistant guide you must work under a registered guide for minimum 60 days. good luck in your endevers.
    Hard work but very rewarding.

So I would have to be a camp helper for 60 days till I could take hte test to be an assistant guide?

I could get hires by any ol' guide to be a meat packer, basically?

do you have to be a certan age to be a assistant guide or a packer
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

F-F-G,
    The next Big Game Commercial Services Board (BGCSB) meeting is in Anchorage on Dec 6th, 7th, and 8th, 2011, at the Coast International Inn.
    See Alaska Game Management Forum.
    This three day meeting IS NOT a social event, so YOU will have to work at meeting guide-outfitters during the breaks who may be interested in new packers for next year. But new "entry-level-packers" with strong backs and weak minds (lil joke) who are available for the entire hunting/guiding season are always needed, and this could be a good way for you to meet potential employers and enter the commercial services hunting industry.
    The money you would earn is not impressive. The experiences and skill-set you would learn or improve are impressive. Following a spring bear season and/or a fall season for everything, you will be an accomplished skinner, flesher, caper. When not busy packing meat, camp guys do alot of pelt and cape work.

kxj66ni

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    F-F-G,
    The next Big Game Commercial Services Board (BGCSB) meeting is in Anchorage on Dec 6th, 7th, and 8th, 2011, at the Coast International Inn.
    See Alaska Game Management Forum.
    This three day meeting IS NOT a social event, so YOU will have to work at meeting guide-outfitters during the breaks who may be interested in new packers for next year. But new "entry-level-packers" with strong backs and weak minds (lil joke) who are available for the entire hunting/guiding season are always needed, and this could be a good way for you to meet potential employers and enter the commercial services hunting industry.
    The money you would earn is not impressive. The experiences and skill-set you would learn or improve are impressive. Following a spring bear season and/or a fall season for everything, you will be an accomplished skinner, flesher, caper. When not busy packing meat, camp guys do alot of pelt and cape work.
    is thje meeting open to the public & what is te meting about. d0 they charge to get in?
    thxs
    kxj66

kxj66--------
    The BGCSB meeting is open to the public. No charge because it is an industry meeting. Really boring, unless you are concerning with the big game hunting-guiding business. Topics will probably be...license fee increases....DNR Guide Concession Plan/Program updates.... guide law changes or proposed changes....suggestions, gripes and complaints (helpful suggestions?) from the guides present....legal issues and licensing issues involving those that have caused themselves problems....land owner-land use conflicts....guide-outfitter-public conflicts....guide-outfitter and transporter ethics, ect.
    For other ideas of what may be covered in the meeting, check out the past BGCSB meeting threads, and the past meeting minutes, posted by a forum member in the Game Management Forum.

Currently, the meeting dates of Dec 6th through 8th are sorta hidden in post #9, dated 8/09/2011, within the Guide Board Meeting thread started-date 3/20/11 in the Game Management Forum. Forum member Off-The-Record has often kept guide-outfitters (and anybody else interested) updated with little reminder threads/posts in the Game Management Forum.

Again, this is hardly a social meeting or event. It is not a "show" and generally there isn't any seminars. But for someone wanting to meet guide-outfitters for entry level employment, and willing to socially work at it during the breaks, it could be productive.

are most meat packers over 18? or would being 16 put a hitch in things?

I really dont know that answer BUT a strong 16yo I bet would be hired.

I came to alaska because I had to cancel (long story ) a guided sheep hunt. Then after I did that I had a hard time sleeping. Finally my wife suggested we lease our house and come up and try it for a year. I still wanted a sheep. all the guides I talked with were booked. Of course I could have waited a year to become a resident. I could'nt chance that as it may not have worked out. I finally found a registered guide who had 5 days at the start of the season with no clients. We made a deal. Pay 1/2 price and work 30 days in camp.
    I took the deal. Got a full curl Ram on the third day. Then the work started. I was in my late 30's and had not done physical work in a while. good for me. Tightened me right up. By the end of the 30 days I could just about run up those mountain.
    September came and still no job. guide got a hold of me and asked if I could help out thru September and he would let me shoot a Moose with no cash from me except to buy a tag. Now I'm packing Moose chooping wood, caping skinning turning ears spliting lips etc.
    Lots of good knowledge obtained. A year later he signed for my assistant guide license. what a ball. now I'm taking his clients and fulfilling their dreams. Very rewarding

PS=I did get a 62" moose

w

FFG,
    Labor laws involving teenagers and legal employment is well outside my area of knowledge and immediate responsibility. Therefore, I would guide you to call the Dept of Labor, Wage & Hour at 907 269-4900 for proper guidance.
    Frankly, I would also PM Roland on the River, AOD Forum honcho Mike Strahan (he guides for a major operator), and I would recommend that you also contact the guides who advertised on the Help Wanted forum.

And although I love guiding hunters toward achieving their Alaskan hunting dreams, and while I absolutely encourage you to gain a lifetime of memories and SKILLS by working for a FEW years in the guide-outfitter industry, I also recommend that you pursue other options to earn a substantial year-round income. The guide-outfitter industry and big game populations in Alaska is/are changing faster than some might want...faster than some might believe...some change is good....some change is not so good.....just keepin the discussion real......
    In addition, while your hunting-guiding others, ya ain't hunting for yourself. Both can be important.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis.....out

kxj66ni

kxj66--------
    The BGCSB meeting is open to the public. No charge because it is an industry meeting. Really boring, unless you are concerning with the big game hunting-guiding business. Topics will probably be...license fee increases....DNR Guide Concession Plan/Program updates.... guide law changes or proposed changes....suggestions, gripes and complaints (helpful suggestions?) from the guides present....legal issues and licensing issues involving those that have caused themselves problems....land owner-land use conflicts....guide-outfitter-public conflicts....guide-outfitter and transporter ethics, ect.
    For other ideas of what may be covered in the meeting, check out the past BGCSB meeting threads, and the past meeting minutes, posted by a forum member in the Game Management Forum.

Currently, the meeting dates of Dec 6th through 8th are sorta hidden in post #9, dated 8/09/2011, within the Guide Board Meeting thread started-date 3/20/11 in the Game Management Forum. Forum member Off-The-Record has often kept guide-outfitters (and anybody else interested) updated with little reminder threads/posts in the Game Management Forum.

Again, this is hardly a social meeting or event. It is not a "show" and generally there isn't any seminars. But for someone wanting to meet guide-outfitters for entry level employment, and willing to socially work at it during the breaks, it could be productive.
    grate info as allways. thxs forposting
    kxj66ni

I actually had my registered guide license but it expired back in 2002, so I'll take a stab at this one. Of course, the rules may have all changed so... When I was a packer, you had to pack for two seasons (at least this is what I was told by my boss at the time), so if you packed in the fall and packed in the spring (for spring bear) you could be an assistant guide the next fall season. The guy I was working for required that you knew how to hunt, skin, quarter, flesh, turn the ears and lips, pack out meat, set up a camp, cook food for the client etc. Those were the minimal required tasks needed to know. However, in order to advance beyond an assistant guide to a registered guide, you had to have been an assistant guide for three years, and have 8 letters of recommendation from successful clients, and you had to pass a general knowledge test and a game management unit test. I am not sure how its handled today, but that used to be the procedure for acquiring guide's licenses.

kxj66ni

kxj66--------

If ther are class' can peeple not gides go & holw can we findout?
    thxks againg
    Kxj66

Kxj,
    Anybody can attend anything at a BGCSB meeting, a business meeting of this type.
    Only one time in the last 20+ meeting, in the last 10 years, have there been and seminars of any type.
    I do not expect any classes or seminars of any type at this business meeting.
    But hopefully a copy of the agenda will be posted on the Game Management Forum sometime in November, prior to the meeting in early Dec.
    Hope this helps you, (whoever you may be... wink, wink)...........out

FFG,
    Labor laws involving teenagers and legal employment is well outside my area of knowledge and immediate responsibility. Therefore, I would guide you to call the Dept of Labor, Wage & Hour at 907 269-4900 for proper guidance.
    Frankly, I would also PM Roland on the River, AOD Forum honcho Mike Strahan (he guides for a major operator), and I would recommend that you also contact the guides who advertised on the Help Wanted forum.

And although I love guiding hunters toward achieving their Alaskan hunting dreams, and while I absolutely encourage you to gain a lifetime of memories and SKILLS by working for a FEW years in the guide-outfitter industry, I also recommend that you pursue other options to earn a substantial year-round income. The guide-outfitter industry and big game populations in Alaska is/are changing faster than some might want...faster than some might believe...some change is good....some change is not so good.....just keepin the discussion real......
    In addition, while your hunting-guiding others, ya ain't hunting for yourself. Both can be important.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis.....out
    Thank you for your advise. The past few years (started when I was 13) I have worked on the farms in point mack. and this summer I was building houses, which I would be doing in the winter.

What about guys that just flat out lie on their Assistant Guide application? Is their any way that the Big Game board verifies the validity of information provided? What about guides that lie when vouching for a potential assistant guide, any ramifications? Just curious, as I know for a fact that a scenario similar to this happened this past season.

J In AK,
    Your questions are outside the scope of my knowledge and experiences. Therefore, I can not provide you with specific, fact based answers. Perhaps you can obtain answers through the Big Game Commercial Services Board website at
    http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

Rather than the possible hijacking of this thread off into an area not associated with the original question, perhaps your questions could be posted as a new thread in the Game Management Forum, which I believe is routinely viewed by employees associated with the BGCSB.

J In AK,
    Your questions are outside the scope of my knowledge and experiences. Perhaps you can obtain answers through the Big Game Commercial Services Board website at
    http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

Rather than the possible hijacking of this thread off into an area not associated with the original question, perhaps your questions could be posted as a new thread in the Game Management Forum, which I believe is routinely viewed by employees associated with the BGCSB.
    Thanks Dennis...I didn't mean to hijack, I was just curious as to how these situations are dealt with. Guess I am to the point that I am sick and disgusted at the abuses perpetrated against our wildlife by unscrupulous people.

FurFishGame, kxj66niV, J in AK, Guides, public...

I was able to briefly communicate with one of the primary support contacts with the Big Game Commercial Services Board. I was informed that during the December 6th thru 8th meetings in Anchorage there will possibly be some seminars concerning moose, sheep full curl judging, bear, caribou, guide paperwork/documentation, and gun safety. Tentative....possibly...probably some....

In addition, a representative from DNR will hopefully be present to update the guide-outfitter community on updates and "progress" concerning the projected Guide Concession Plan (GCP)...tentative...probably.

The agenda is not yet finalized, but will be posted (probably in the Game Management Forum) in November, prior to the BGCSB meetings on Dec 6th, 7th, and 8th 2011, at the Coast International Inn (I believe).

And J in AK...I believe we all (on this forum) agree with the sendiments you expressed above in post #19.... And the family operated sheep guide-outfitter business you worked with this last fall is the best of the best, with honors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast