Thread: Lodge advice

Default Lodge advice

After not getting to Alaska for several years, my family is planng to go again this summer. In the past, we have done the Anchorage to Seward/Homer deal, stayed in cabins, and had a great time. Did the combat fishing (loved it - like a party!) as well as some halibut/silver charters. Enjoyed seeing Sewrd and Homer. All great stuff, except getting blown off the water a few times, along with all the driving. This year we will need to go in June and will be limited to less than the 8-10 days we have taken in the past. Because of the timing, and to try something different, we are thinking of a 4-5 day package trip. The wife and kids like mooching, I like river fishing, so I guess the boat will win out. Halibut, bottom fish, kings, silvers... I am not sure if we will want a place in or near a town like Sitka or Ketchikan, or a place more remote. (No Bristol Bay-type of places this year) Resources are not unlimited, but I am willing to spend enought to make the trip a good one (had a near-death experience last month - boy, that changes your perspective on things!)

Every place looks great in thier ads and on the net, and I am sure most are, but I woudl appreciate any input from recent personal experiene. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd look into Southeast, you might want to consider some of the other islands POW or Kupreanof.

The only downside of your trip is silvers generally don't start showing up until July. Other then that, should be superb for Kings and all the bottom dwelling critters. Well, Lingcod season doesn't open until July 1st, so no lings.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I made my first trip to SE Alaska in August and stayed at the Lisianski Inlet Lodge and had a great time. Brought home 100 lbs of fish and would go back in a heart beat. I'm hooked!!
    Search for Pelican Ak and Elfin Cove AK. Lisianski Inlet Lodge in just up the inlet from Pelican.

Randy

I've stayed at Adventure Alaska (www.fishorhunt.com) in Thorne Bay on POW in June twice and had a great time. You can reserve their charter boat or find others in Craig, Klowack, Coffman Cove, etc. They also set you up with a truck, skiff and gear if your a do it yourself person. Hate to admit it but I failed at DIY fishing other than some hatchery return fish!! We stayed a week each time and charter fished two or three days. Other days we had a blast exploring the shoreline and crabbing with the skiff.

If you love to mooch, and you love kings, find a good lodge out of Craig, Alaska. The outer coast of Prince of Wales sits right in the middle of the migration route and June is the time to be there for kings. The guides all mooch, and are very good at getting limits of salmon for their clients. Nothing beats hands on fishing. Lots of calm water kelp lines to fish too, if the weather goes bad. Catching halibut won't be a problem either. Lings and yellow eye are around too.

You should check out Waterfall Resort, or Elfin Cove! The only draw back of southeast is one halibut under 37" if guided

Lots of other very good operations out of Craig besides the mega waterfall lodge which runs 30 boats. The small 2-3 boat lodge operations do a great job, and are locally owned with local guides.

With a family group, 1 halibut under 37" is just fine. In 4 days, they'll be going home with enough quality vacuum packed king, halibut, ling, and rockfish to last them for the year. In fact, they'll probably have to give a little bit of king away to friends and family.

POW island gets my nod as well. Read this lodge's blog and you'll see what they do in June. Well worth your time. I've been staying at Chuck's lodge 12 years now with only one other trip to Excursion Inlet for self guided halibut this summer to get around the under 37" reg. You'll notice though reading the blog that the new reg barely bothered the clients or guide. They still got PLENTY of fish daily. Chuck does it RIGHT!

http://blog.alaskakingfisherlodge.com/

Hey Joel,

If you had to choose a date for West Side king action in June what would be good? My family - the whole crazy group is descending on my place in June as it is the best time for them to show. If our kings aren't going I would love to have your side as an option as it seems pretty consistent over there. Dates are:

June 2-9
    June 9-16
    June 23-30

Thoughts? Thanks man,

GOoch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    POW island gets my nod as well. Read this lodge's blog and you'll see what they do in June. Well worth your time. I've been staying at Chuck's lodge 12 years now with only one other trip to Excursion Inlet for self guided halibut this summer to get around the under 37" reg. You'll notice though reading the blog that the new reg barely bothered the clients or guide. They still got PLENTY of fish daily. Chuck does it RIGHT!

http://blog.alaskakingfisherlodge.com/
    That's the best blog I've seen to determine run timing on POW. It was a very good year for us, as you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey Joel,

If you had to choose a date for West Side king action in June what would be good? My family - the whole crazy group is descending on my place in June as it is the best time for them to show. If our kings aren't going I would love to have your side as an option as it seems pretty consistent over there. Dates are:

June 2-9
    June 9-16
    June 23-30

Thoughts? Thanks man,

GOoch
    It's hard to say. This last year? Pretty much the whole month of June was smoking hot for kings. Both on the inside and the outside. We should have a strong hatchery king run again next year, so I'm anticipating good king fishing. You never know though. I'd time it with your best king fishing, and chances are that if it's not good by you, it'll be good on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    That's the best blog I've seen to determine run timing on POW. It was a very good year for us, as you can see.
    So that's who your "boss" is.

Where does ADF&G do their POW creel census at? The public dock/ramp areas or at selected lodges? or both?

They do it at a variety of lodges and at the public docks. Getting the creel census done is rather hit or miss as they rotate between places.

Lots of other very good operations out of Craig besides the mega waterfall lodge which runs 30 boats.
    No, no, no, we only run 22 boats ;-)

They do it at a variety of lodges and at the public docks. Getting the creel census done is rather hit or miss as they rotate between places.
    They (ADF&G) wanted to have a creel person stationed @ WF all season this summer at WF's expense, management said they were welcome to do their creel census but weren't going to get free room & board, they never showed.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    No, no, no, we only run 22 boats ;-)
    Did you guys drop down a few boats?

AKKings, Do the Rowe's still work out there? I saw them in KTN a few years back told Darren to try Forrester Is last time I was out that way almost the best fishing I have ever seen next to Homer. Still lots of Halibut and the Kings are here all year in good numbers!

Devin is still there, Darin is guiding in Oregon over the summer now and hasn't been at WF for the last 3 or 4 seasons.
    Until this season we fished Forrestor alot, though I don't think either D. Rowe ever went out there. With the new halibut limits there wasn't much reason for anyone to go this year, especially with 1 of if not the best king season we've had in a long time alot closer to home.

Did you guys drop down a few boats?
    Up through 2008 we had 27 boats, after the economy took a dive we went down to 25 boats which is where we are now. Except for a few rare occassions we never have more then 22 boats fishing on any given day, they always like to keep a couple at the dock for backup in case of break downs and 1 is usually a crew fishing boat.
    Sure is nice having the mechanics race boat and a couple spares at the dock. ;-)