Thread: Good place to stay in/near Paxson?

Default Good place to stay in/near Paxson?

Heading that direction this weekend and decided to make an overnighter out of it, can anyone recommend a good place in or near Paxson to stay the night?

Paxson Lodge. Cheap, simple and more comfortable than the back seat of a truck.
    Mike

I've stayed at Paxson Lodge a couple of times, but I won't do so again. Last October we stayed at Water's Edge Cottages just north of Paxson on Summit Lake. WAY more comfortable, great setting (we spotted caribou from our window one morning), you've got your own kitchen for cooking, and a helpful owner who told us about a local trail that we weren't familiar with. It might be a bit more expensive than Paxson Lodge, but it's a much better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've stayed at Paxson Lodge a couple of times, but I won't do so again. Last October we stayed at Water's Edge Cottages just north of Paxson on Summit Lake. WAY more comfortable, great setting (we spotted caribou from our window one morning), you've got your own kitchen for cooking, and a helpful owner who told us about a local trail that we weren't familiar with. It might be a bit more expensive than Paxson Lodge, but it's a much better experience.
    +1 Meiers Lake is a good option too, if they're still in business. (I haven't been by there in awhile).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

+2 I used to work in paxson (4 yrs) and although it has gotten better there are better places to stay.

If I had to stay in Paxson I'd stay in a tent, at least that's what I did when I lived there one summer. Water's Edge Cottages look pretty good but I've never stayed there. I liked Meiers Lake I always thought it was decent when I stayed there and they were open when I went through there last Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Scar View Post
    I liked Meiers Lake I always thought it was decent when I stayed there and they were open when I went through there last Wednesday.
    The current folks are a German couple (she's a great cook) who bought the place a couple years after Galen (previous owner) died. Good to know they're still open. It's a tough spot to make a living.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've stayed a couple places down there... tent down at the airfield is my preference, cheap and does the job until way cold weather. Otherwise Meier's Lake is pretty nice with the new owners.

Don't care for the lodge and I haven't stayed at Water's Edge so I can't comment.

With the road constuction guys, Meier's has been booked all summer and still is pretty busy. I talked to the guy at Waters Edge 2 days ago and he is so pissed that the road construction is going on in front of his place he wasn't taking reservations. I booked 2 rooms at Paxson. Just a place to lay our heads..

Just had 2 guys bail on me so I called Paxson and freed up a room. He told me that he was glad as he was about booked up so if anyone needs a room, better call quick. I got report form several in the area and there are plenty of animal around...

TBS off the top of your head do you know the rate for one room?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

He is charging me $90.00 a night for a queen and a single in the room. I'll be in a 2008 white 4 door Silverado and my bud will be in a 2005 red chev 4 door PU w/bear prints in the back window if anyone wants to say hello...

It might be a bit more expensive than Paxson Lodge, but it's a much better experience.
    How much more expensive?

I stayed at Paxson Lodge this year and wasn't impressed either. We ate at Tangle River Inn and stayed there too. It was about the same rate at Paxson.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    How much more expensive?

I stayed at Paxson Lodge this year and wasn't impressed either. We ate at Tangle River Inn and stayed there too. It was about the same rate at Paxson.

Tim
    $125 for two people, $10 more for each additional. WAY more comfortable.