Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelies on the Anchor or Kasilof?

Default Steelies on the Anchor or Kasilof?

Has anyone been to the Anchor or Kasilof recently fishing Steelies? If so, how was the fishing?

I'm wondering the same thing. One more question, is the 1st week of November to late for the Anchor?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. One more question, is the 1st week of November to late for the Anchor?
    Nope. But is darn cold.

Yup. No go for all fishing after Oct 31.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Yup. No go for all fishing after Oct 31.

Wait, it's closed on the 31st? That's dumb! Oh well I'd rather fish the Olympic peninsula anyway.

I'm taking a poll

Wait, it's closed on the 31st? That's dumb! Oh well I'd rather fish the Olympic peninsula anyway.
    The entire Anchor River drainage except Bridge Creek reservoir is closed to all fishing Nov 1-May 20.

Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    The entire Anchor River drainage except Bridge Creek reservoir is closed to all fishing Nov 1-May 20.

It's unbelievable to me that there is zero regard for the locals in this state! I'm sick of this crap! The special interest self srving system we have up here is pathetic at best. There aren't even any winter localized mom & pop commercial fisheries in southcentral unless you want to go cod fishing in the gulf and catch everything BUT cod. What's it gonna take to get a winter steelhead fishery in the Anchor? If it was Idaho you could drift eggs and keep one, and still have a vibrant run

I'm taking a poll

The Anchor was closed to protect the declining runs of steelhead. It's a small environmentally sensitive stream and much more fragile than the much larger Idaho rivers where you can bounce eggs. Bait has been banned on the Anchor for steelhead for many years now.

The closure just took place this past spring at the BOF meeting on the Peninsula, for Lower Cook Inlet reg changes. I believe it was actually locals who submitted the proposals; locals who lived nearer the river than us Valley "locals."

Personally, I would rather fish a restricted wild run than a more liberal hatchery run. That said, I really miss the days of the Crooked Creek hatchery run on the Kasilof. It allowed the best of both worlds; a hatchery run with retention allowed on one river, while keeping the rest of the rivers on the Peninsula hook and release wild stock. I don't think straying was the problem they claimed it was: the Kenai had a steelhead run before the hatchery, and it still does today, after the hatchery.

Why I think the steelhead hatchery program was shutdown, is with hatcheries being operated by commercial operations now rather than the state, hatcheries that don't produce a commercial return are usually shut down under some other pretense, such as "potential straying."

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBob View Post
    The Anchor was closed to protect the declining runs of steelhead. It's a small environmentally sensitive stream and much more fragile than the much larger Idaho rivers where you can bounce eggs. Bait has been banned on the Anchor for steelhead for many years now.
    Yeah well they need to enhance it then IMO the stocks are fragile
    Because they're genetically incompetent, they need to max out the system w/ skagit river stocks. The present stocks are worthless.

I'm taking a poll

well if they want to keep the Anchor all wild stock with small returns fine. How about they get some steel going in some place up this way like the little sue. Cant hurt much in that stream any more since almost nothing returns.

<<<The closure just took place this past spring at the BOF meeting on the Peninsula, for Lower Cook Inlet reg changes. I believe it was actually locals who submitted the proposals; locals who lived nearer the river than us Valley "locals.">>>
    Absolutely true. Hereby proving that a small group of local dedicated anglers can indeed get a regulation change to benefit their local water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey88 View Post
    Has anyone been to the Anchor or Kasilof recently fishing Steelies? If so, how was the fishing?
    To answer the original post, the fishing at Anchor has been very slow. I can't say on Kasilof as I haven't fished it for Steelhead, maybe someone else can chime in there.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    well if they want to keep the Anchor all wild stock with small returns fine. How about they get some steel going in some place up this way like the little sue. Cant hurt much in that stream any more since almost nothing returns.
    I hear you powerdrifter, they got invasive pike all over the place,'there's no reason why there's not a hella run of steel in the little su. We need to chamPion this I'm thinking. We could buy broodstock from the Washington dept of fisheries. I wonder what a half million skagit fry would run us? We'll get some
    of those dec/Jan fish so the guides can't get their mitts on em
    Last edited by fullbush; 10-18-2011 at 22:05. Reason: Dang iPhone!

I'm taking a poll

We'll get some
    of those dec/Jan fish so the guides can't get their mitts on em
    And like you mentioned earlier, no commercial season running then, either.

So is it settled, should I order up a tank of fry? First I'll have to send down a tank of little su water so they can imprint the fry w/ the sweet smell of their new home. I'm figuring we will have the little su on the map as one
    Of the wests premier steelhead destinations w/in 5'years or so give or take.

I'm taking a poll

Sounds good to me, but if you get the dec/jan stock won't that be like ice fishing?

No cause we'll get a grant and put a hydroelectric dam in hatcherpass, the water will be heated by the turbines. Just think of the recreational opportunities that would abound by turning the hatcher basin into a giant lake, me thinks it's time to procure a grant writer!

I'm taking a poll

well then wouldn't that make the water to warm for the fish??????

The 12 dams on the Columbia not including the the one on the Clearwater sure don't seem to bother the robust runs there

I'm taking a poll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast