Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most intelligent Big Game animal and why?

Default What is the most intelligent Big Game animal and why?

What do you think?

Default Chic's

Because most of the time they end up withthe house!

Mark

Wolves.

They're social animals, like primates, cetaceans, pachyderms, etc.

Default Sneeky

I know it's not a BIG game animal but I think it's worth noting since it can kill hunters hunting BIG game in Alaska.

The Alaskan Ice Snake is by far the smartest and deadliest and kills more hunters than any other critter in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    I know it's not a BIG game animal but I think it's worth noting since it can kill hunters hunting BIG game in Alaska.

The Alaskan Ice Snake is by far the smartest and deadliest and kills more hunters than any other critter in Alaska.
    Ahhh, yes the Alaskan Ice Snake.....very close relative to the Northern Michigan Snow snake!! Very dangerious!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

two of my clients took nice tundra rattlers last fall...good hides, one went P&Y.

seriously though for smartest...
    grizzly bear, sleeps all winter gets up to have sex, eats fish has blueberries cobbler for desert and sleeps it all off....now hes realitivly easy to stalk though, but smart.

Wolf, his lifestyle makes him smart, allways hunting, moving, nocturnal a team player when he needs to be and a solo artist when he don't.

sheep, great eyes, always watching, tough to stalk (sometimes) run in pairs alot to watch different directions at once, but snow makes him an easy target in winter...

so for overall smartest i'm gonna go with polar bear, they know their food, how to find it, how to hunt it and how to stay alive in an area with little to eat, great adapters to their enviroment.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Columbia Blacktail

I've alway's thought of an old Buck as being one of the smartest animals I've hunted. They usually live in areas where you can't see them more than 20 yards away, and you have a heck of a time being quite as you stalk them. I've seen them crawl on their knees to escape, bed down IN a bush, stand or lay perfectly still for looong periods and I swear they could read the regulations knowing what day the season started and ended and where boundaries were.

I agree though, Polar Bears have to be pretty smart to be able to survive in the arctic.

Default Polar bears

BRWNBR, I think Al Gore would argue that while the polar bear is all of the above he is lacking in the adaptability department and will SOON be extinct once all that ice up there melts off in the not to distant future. He is an authority.

Wink

A mature whitetail buck. If you don"t get him during the rut your in real trouble!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Nah, he'll just adapt his diet by eating ice snakes! (which by the way make great pets if you have the freezer space. They will guard your frozen prizes and eat very little. I usually just leave a frozen glacier rat in their (even though they take weeks to freeze.) You can also train them to close the freezer. I am surprised no one brought this up in the "leaving the freezer open" thread! One of the best kept secrets I guess.
    ----------------------

My vote is certainly not for mankind, but I will go with the wolf as well. I caught a pack debating astrophysics and the nature of dark matter once, (but then I'm sneaky like that!) Before they scented me the concensus seemed to have drifted towards the theological preference for a weighted but unseen heaven and spirits being the constituent pieces, strange conversation is all I can say! Smart critters though.

In alaska I think its the wolf hands down, in the rest of the world its probably the elephant
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default brain power?

Brownbears...very smart.
    Elk are pretty darn bright too.

Polar Bears hands down no contest. They are the last predator that actively hunts people!I read an artical by a woman who circumnavigated hudson bay solo in a kayak for a week a polar bear followed her staying just out of sight untill she'd try to land! Then he'd rush the boat and try to capsize her as she got closer to shore! They hunt the ice flows by sent and cunning, these brutes have even figured out how to hunt and retreive beluga whales through the ice!

And contrary to Mr. Gores opinion I for one am not that concerned about the great white bear these guys are smart! They will addapt to the changes they face.
    Last edited by Rick P; 03-23-2007 at 13:27. Reason: Added info

In Alaska it's definitely the wolf, my friends that hunt and trap them tell some amazing stories of their abilities to avoid detection much less capture. I've seen a handful up here and you don't get much of a look, they seem extremely alert and aware. The most intelligent that I have had the joy to pursue is definitely an old whitetail buck. In areas of southern Illinois where I lived, they had limited habitat...tons of two legged predators and they still evaded most of my buds with any consistency. Rarely do you see them despite all the banged up trees and fist-sized tracks left in the mud, even rarer is a shot and even rarer is a close shot and nearly impossible is a second shot if you flub the first one. I've seen them duck behind cover as a vehicle or person approaches them. I've gotten glimpses of massive white tails in areas and then pursued them for months during the bow season only to never see them again....and noone else did too.....amazing. Even unpressured, they are wary, alert, sneaky, coniving, discriminatory, random, contrary and above all frustrating......gotta love em.

Default Hands down

I would definately have to say the the Ice Snake is a tough one to harvest. I am still trying to add one to my trophy room.

Default The big thing

The hardest animal on Earth to harvest is a Sasquatch, They've been seen for hundreds of years and no-one has one on the wall yet. Now with that many hunters in the woods and that many years,and still no CIGAR. They are either smart or bullet proof, or both.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default The Tundra Potamus

My vote goes to the Tundra Potamus!They have the eyesight of a Dall sheep, the hearing of a wolf, and disposition of a Wolverine! They winter on the ledges in the Chugach mtns., and are very difficult to spot! Once in a great while a sheep guide will catch a glimpse of one heading for the next drainage, they are seldom seen, even by trappers, and woodsmen. Their appearance blends perfectly with the tundra, and can only be seen as they blink, sort of like John Rambo in the movie first blood 2.They have also been suspected playing a role in the declining Brown bear numbers on the McNeil River.They are always a threat to float hunters as they have been known to frequent the river bottoms looking to overturn boats! They can be called in during the rut with a wood duck call. Boys here is the place for your magnums, 458 lott,475 A&M and larger! They absorb tremendous amts. of lead, this accounts for the low harvest numbers!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default man

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    What do you think?
    Man is the most intelligent big game animal.

The smartest and toughest animal I have ever hunted.

He has the same weapons and the same thought process as you.

The ultimate hunt.

jedi

Default Aside from man...

The wolf, is the most intelligent, alone or in a pack as they are the seldom are seen & often around...I've seen some use Palm Pilots, Cell Phones, & tin can & string to communicate to surround me when I was out trying to photograph them & they got away...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    The wolf, is the most intelligent, alone or in a pack as they are the seldom are seen & often around...I've seen some use Palm Pilots, Cell Phones, & tin can & string to communicate to surround me when I was out trying to photograph them & they got away...
    Are you talking about those two-legged wolves who tend to dress in business suits and hang around court houses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast