Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake louise

Default Lake louise

Is there much of an overflow issue on Lake Louise or Crosswind

Can be in spots. Not too much usually. Watch where water enters especially Larson Bay. Stay off the channels. Use the crossover trails.

Worse thing was this spring. Someone tore the crap outta the groomed trails with an ATV of some sort, then it froze hard. Off the groomed trail, the drifts were like concrete. I could go over a drift and only leave skag prints.

I don't know Crosswinds. I saw one pic where the overflow was henious! I mean HENIOUS!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Overflow exists on crosswind near shore in certain areas. Late season changes big time. Heading out to crosswind, there are certain areas that get overflow on the trail before you even hit crosswind lake. Sometimes it's best to divert from those spots and go around them if possible. I once had sunk in to a bit of overflow near shore while trying to commute through crosswind to another lake. I pinned the throttle and got clear of it just in time to flag down my son before he dropped onto the lake. We have hand signals so he knew what to do, and pinned his little 340 Bearcat with no problems. Big temp changes seem to make overflow more prevalent. There is overflow, but it's jut part of life I guess, no biggey. Bring extra felt liners if you use sorrel boots. I keep mine in my jacket in a small waterproof bag, along with a pair of socks.

Every year is different pending temps, snowfall and ice conditions. Last year it was bad early in the year. Found myself stuck many times over the years, so nowadays I just stick to the trail or at least an old track and normally don't have any problems.

Rumor has it that the overflow is henious right now. Over 100 feet in places.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

There is no ice right now on Lake Louise. I was on it Sunday. There was HUGE rollers though. Mike email me...

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    There is no ice right now on Lake Louise. I was on it Sunday. There was HUGE rollers though. Mike email me...
    Friday too. Girlfriend peed her pants

Roughest year on the lake to date. 5 foot follers were common.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Roughest year on the lake to date. 5 foot follers were common.
    That just gives your jig some movement...

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    That just gives your jig some movement...
    At least I didn't chum the water.
    Bill Hicks

At least I didn't chum the water.
    You musta heard about my fishing trip in hawaii this past week

You musta heard about my fishing trip in hawaii this past week
    No, but since you let the cat outta the bag............
    Bill Hicks

Any ice condition reports for Lake Louise or Crosswinds?

John told my brother there is alot of overflow on Louise right now as the snow is not blowing away and causing havoc with ice making.

Over flow is pretty much the norm this time of year. Talked to some guys that were up there a few days ago and didn't have any problems. I'm heading up tomorrow but will be sticking close to shore and following a track. Might be more adventurous Saturday but will check things out with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    Over flow is pretty much the norm this time of year. Talked to some guys that were up there a few days ago and didn't have any problems. I'm heading up tomorrow but will be sticking close to shore and following a track. Might be more adventurous Saturday but will check things out with caution.
    Looking forward to your report.

The lake looks like an exercise in overflow. Coming over the last hill it looks nasty. I made a 6 mile run Saturday and the overflow was frozen solid. It turned me sideways at 60 and puckered me up pretty bad. Very little traffic. Trails were not groomed. Be wary of the frozen overflow. It will grab a skag and throw you hard. 2 trucks in the parking lot. Mine wouldn't start Saturday, theirs was dead today. Mine barely started. My entire weekend was trying to get engines running. Even the generators at the lodge died. -44 this AM.

So the overflow is frozen solid. well thats good and bad. Any clue on how much ice we have there. I didnt think that tundra would go 60 maybe you saw 6 and added a zero would be my bet.

So the overflow is frozen solid. well thats good and bad. Any clue on how much ice we have there. I didnt think that tundra would go 60 maybe you saw 6 and added a zero would be my bet.
    I got the new Tundra last spring. It will easily do 60. The frozen overflow isn't smooth.... it is rough and grabs your machine. I didn't drill any holes. I would bet that the ice is good for your needs. Normal rules of caution apply.

The lake looks like an exercise in overflow. Coming over the last hill it looks nasty. I made a 6 mile run Saturday and the overflow was frozen solid. It turned me sideways at 60 and puckered me up pretty bad. Very little traffic. Trails were not groomed. Be wary of the frozen overflow. It will grab a skag and throw you hard. 2 trucks in the parking lot. Mine wouldn't start Saturday, theirs was dead today. Mine barely started. My entire weekend was trying to get engines running. Even the generators at the lodge died. -44 this AM.
    Why were you doing 60? You're an old fart!!!! Slow down grandpa!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast