Thread: Port Lions trail info...?

Default Port Lions trail info...?

I've searched the archives and there's just not much info about Port Lions, so I'm looking for any info on the area. More specifically, of any atv trails which access some decent deer habitat. Would it be feasible to ride the beach out of the village to find an area to start hiking? or too rocky?

Google earths imagery isn't very clear of the area and I have yet to find any good maps online...

I am aware of the native lands in the area surrounding the village and assume I'll need a trespass permit.

Thanks all

-akiceman25

Btt

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

The 4 wheeler hunters get plenty of deer from Port Lions. Have you tried calling the city office or the vpso?

I've tried both, left messages and received no return calls.

Looks like I'll just use what info I have and wing it from there.

Thank you for your reply. Must not be a very popular area, or everyone is hush hush about it....lol

-akiceman25

When are you going?

Within the next few weeks.

I was just hoping to get a little last min inside information from someone who had been there.

-akiceman25

Where are you going to stay while you're there? It seems likely your host would be the best source of info.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Where are you going to stay while you're there? It seems likely your host would be the best source of info.
    Yes, he said he'll point me in the right direction but I may not see him until day 2 or 3. Likely won't be speaking w/him til then too.

Alls good... I'll post my hunt report.

Another option would be to call John Crye with the ADFG in Kodiak. He'd definitely have some good info on how to get started in port lions. To keep your costs down, just drive your atv and meat wagon onto the ferry. Leave your vehicle in homer.

Thats the plan Adam. Thanks much, I'll be calling Mr. Crye soon.

You can get the permit at their office in Kodiak. Best to call them first. The pole line running south of town to the power plant is a easement. You do not need a permit for it. But it gets hits pretty hard. The beach is rocky. There are trails heading west also.

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    You can get the permit at their office in Kodiak. Best to call them first. The pole line running south of town to the power plant is a easement. You do not need a permit for it. But it gets hits pretty hard. The beach is rocky. There are trails heading west also.
    Good info! Thanks cdp!

-akiceman25

Got some info for you. There is an easment trail outside of Port Lions called the 17B easement or also called the Viekoda Bay trail. Apparently its more like a road with plastic on the trails for erosion protection and bridges over the creeks. The guy i spoke to said after getting off the ferry, look for the signs and you cant miss it. He said you should have no trouble finding deer (and bears) driving on the trail. Saw some hunters the other day coming out of Port Lions with deer on their ATV's.

Sweet! Thanks adam! Rep inbound, as soon as I'm off tapatalk...

I head out in 2 days. So stoked!

-akiceman25

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HomerAdam again.

Made the trip, harvested a couple decent bucks and I'll add what I learned about the trails for the next guy...

17b Viekoda easement trail is as stated previously, plastic mesh makes the trail very nice..... until you reach the end of it where you leave the native land. The trail turns to mush in many areas. Plan on getting stuck! A set of tri-fold ramps would work great to cross the multiple creeks. This trail fades after about 11 miles but gives good access to a mountain to hunt near the end. Also, at the end of the plastic mesh you can veer to the right giving you decent access to a few doable mountains...
    At the landing strip outside of town there's a great trail that goes up Mount Ellison about 1/3 of the way. You then need to bust brush to get near the top.
    I followed the powerline trail a couple miles to a high bank creek, decided not to attempt it.
    Bring leather gloves if you plan on climbing, sure helps with the thorny brush.

-akiceman25
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats. Glad you found some animals.