Thread: Forum Sponsorship

Default Forum Sponsorship

Hi folks,

Some time last year we had some discussion with a few members of the Glaciercraft Owner's Forum concerning sponsorship. At that time we agreed to let this forum ride for another year with no sponsor, however in an effort to keep this site running as a business, it's time to revisit this question. We actually let it ride some time past our original cutoff date, and are just now getting back to it.

Our regular sponsorships go for $800 annually.

Are any of you interested in picking this up? Or how about pooling your resources to keep it alive?

Email Icebear or myself, so we know what you guys want to do with this.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

what exactly does this "forum" cost? I can't imagine it costs $800 / yr to run what benefits does sponsoring this forum bring? just trying to figure out my ROI ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    what exactly does this "forum" cost? I can't imagine it costs $800 / yr to run what benefits does sponsoring this forum bring? just trying to figure out my ROI ..
    The cost for forum sponsorship on Outdoors Directory is $800 / year. The sponsorship program is outlined ON THIS PAGE, which outlines the costs and benefits.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    This is an owners' group. The only benefit we get from this forum is the information shared. I guess you could call it a support group of sorts. The GC owner has absolutely nothing to do with this forum and that is a good thing. $800 per year seems steep to me, too. The same info can easily be shared in the power boating section.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I agree with spoiled one. Sounds like 800 was the price for the year. Now he is out, and you want to take down this free advertising forum. I cant blame you on that. I mean there is no reason to just have a Glacercraft title section when no one is paying for it. These glaciercraft guys can just go to powerboat. I dont even understand why you brought this up. Just inform everyone that your sponser pulled now they have to go with the rest of the brands over in power boating.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I agree with spoiled one. Sounds like 800 was the price for the year. Now he is out, and you want to take down this free advertising forum. I cant blame you on that. I mean there is no reason to just have a Glacercraft title section when no one is paying for it. These glaciercraft guys can just go to powerboat. I dont even understand why you brought this up. Just inform everyone that your sponser pulled now they have to go with the rest of the brands over in power boating.
    Matt, Glacier Craft never did fund this subforum. A group of us owners did. The owner of GC had absolutely nothing to do with its formation.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Matt, Glacier Craft never did fund this subforum. A group of us owners did. The owner of GC had absolutely nothing to do with its formation.
    AHH. So some of you glacier craft owners payed for this subforum at one time? Or it got created for free so you you guys could take it for a test drive?

AHH. So some of you glacier craft owners payed for this subforum at one time? Or it got created for free so you you guys could take it for a test drive?
    Exactly. It was formed back when David owned the site.

Ahhh, the old Johnzukis. Patience needs twin extra long shafts, not the long shaft that the johnzuki provides. Classic clip!

Hopefully the past content on this forum will be rolled into the Power Boating Forum. Personally I think it would be better to have everything in one place.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think considering everyones situation we should keep this forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    I think considering everyones situation we should keep this forum here.
    So are you saying you are willing to cover part of the $800 fee?

Matt,

This forum was created at the request of some Glaciercraft boat owners some time ago, and it has been riding for free since the beginning. Last year they approached me regarding some problems concerning the owner (or former owner?) of the Glaciercraft company itself. We resolved those issues, and at the same time discussed finding a way for this forum to earn it's keep. I agreed to let it ride for a year. It's been a bit more than a year and I'm just checking back with you folks to see if you have a plan.

Clearly we have a number of forums that don't have sponsors, but we are actively looking to fill those slots. I am not threatening to shut this one down, but it would be best if we treated it the same as our other forums. I'm willing to work with you guys on this, but we need to get some ideas out there.

-Mike

No disrespect but I liked this site, as a whole, the way it was a year ago. Very diluted, too many subforums etc.

Edit

And this has absolutely nothing to do with Glaciercraft, I only belong in the Hunting Rafting and ATV section.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I like a more categorized forum. I don't want to spend all day trying to search for a topic or forum. GC boats are just another boat, so I suppose if it was moved to the boating forum it would work. I've accustomed to this forum and, the people here that have more in common than just owning a boat. Actually a majority of us don't own one yet....maybe in 5 years, HA! I don't want to pay for a forum, don't think I should either. To be honest with you all, my boat costs enough and I have to deal with enough crap, I don't need pushed for a payment from here or anywhere else.

I vote to let it go and roll the threads into the power-boat forum. We don't need a special forum to showcase these boats.

Default Keeping the Glaciercraft Forum

Greetings Mike,

I will be willing to put $100 towards the Glaciercraft Forum if you can convince seven other owners/forum members to do the same.

V/r,

FRANK

Let's just let it ride for now. We'll keep looking for a sponsor, and if you folks have suggestions I'm all ears.

The problem we've been saddled with ("we" being Internet content providers) is that the Internet culture has developed around the almost universal expectation that everything is free. The problem comes when you have to pay for server space, I.T. work, staff, writers, hosting, and a ton of other stuff. The money has to come from somewhere. The least intrusive means is advertising, which is what we've done. But some don't like the ads... and don't want to contribute financially. So it's a no-win scenario.

Let's keep this going and address it in a year.

Regards,

-Mike

Mike,
    I am in the communications/IT business and deal with this attitude quite frequently. I figured that this forum (if used properly and often) could save the owners a great deal of money in maintenance and upgrades. Anyone who has hopes of buying or even operating one of these expensive aluminum fish killers should have a honest 'how to' source they can refer to. I would put money towards that end if we (I guess that is you and I) can get some enthusiastic owner/operators to start developing some content.

Let me know your thoughts and maybe over the year we (yep, that you and I again) can increase the value of the forum and maybe also attract some high-end sponsorship to offset the costs of operations.

V/r,

FRANK