Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaga?

Default Chaga?

ever hear about it, I never did till a few days ago it is a growth on a birch tree, not the mushroom looking ones this almost has the look and feel of a spruce burl you pop out with an ax. Apperently this stuff dates back thousands of years ground into a tea and research tells me it's a cure all almost. And it actually tastes quite good ground and ran thru a mr. coffee almost a split between coffee and tea. Also it supposeably sells for 100 a pound so it might be profitable to go screw around in the woods. My buddy glen got a 2 gallon ziplock pretty filled last weekend at his cabin up the yetna
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

a good site with info and pictures I know you'll recognize, http://www.chagatrade.ru/
    Μολών λαβέ

Wow! This is so interesting. I honestly have never heard of it before, but I have now persuaded my boyfriend to take me on a woodsy adventure today in search of "chaga" (how do you pronounce this by the way?). Where does he sell it? And do they only grow on birch? Thanks for the information by the way- I'm excited to try a taste if we are lucky enough to come across some.
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

I think it is just on birch tree's and no others. And as far as where to sell it I am sure there is a market since there is so many different extracts and powders that they make from it,
    Μολών λαβέ

I believe Chaga can grow on trees other than birch but is far less common. You'll find it everywhere in an old growth birch forest in Alaska, at least where I live in the NE Interior. Good stuff! I am surprised it is not more widely known and used.

Good thread. Thanks for starting,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Its also known as tinder fungus, I would be suprised if it would sell for that. If it does I have about 2000 dollars worth in the garage and enough at our place in willow to retire.

Info I found:
    Chaga / Clinker Conk
    Inonotus obliquus (Pers. : Fr.) Pilát

Chaga (pronounced chaw‘-guh) is unusual among the wood-inhabiting conks.
    Instead of a shelf-like fruiting body, it appears as a swollen or burl-like mass
    (sclerotia) on the trunks of old birch trees, black and furrowed with deep cracks.
    It is circumpolar in range, and in Alaska it is almost always found on birches,
    rarely on cottonwoods.
    Description: If you spot a shapeless black mass 10’ to 30’ up the trunk of an old
    birch tree, chances are you’ve found a chaga. Inside the “charred” irregular outer
    surface is a hard corky orange-brown interior. This mass is often referred to as a
    sterile conk. The actual spore-producing fruiting body is an inconspicuous flat
    hyphal structure that forms under the bark after the tree has died and fallen. Spores are released as the dead
    bark strips away. A 10-15 year old chaga mass can be 19” to 60” long and weigh up to 10 pounds.
    Uses: Chaga has been used for its curative properties by indigenous peoples of northern countries since
    ancient times. Recent studies have documented its antimicrobial, antitumor, and immunomodulatory properties.
    In Russia and Japan, anti-cancer drugs derived from chaga have been developed and marketed. Because of its
    medicinal properties, harvesting pressure has increased, especially in Russian Siberia. Harvesting by using
    hatchets has given way to the modern chainsaw. Chaga has never been a commonly seen fungus, and is likely
    to become rarer as collecting pressure intensifies.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Its also known as tinder fungus, I would be suprised if it would sell for that. If it does I have about 2000 dollars worth in the garage and enough at our place in willow to retire.
    Right on very glad for ya go retire, I was just passin on some info for those that knew nothing about it, and to you grandmalori and musicman thank you for the add to the post I am sure some of us like good or new info, while others can do nothing but knock posts
    Μολών λαβέ

Just heard about the stuff myself from a righand about a month ago. He was brewing up some on the rig and I asked about it.
    He claims it cured one of his relatives of canceer of some sort when other modern medicine's wouldn't. So he is a believer and harvests the stuff on a regular basis and consumes a cup almost every day.
    Might have to look into it myself.
    Thanks for starting this thread, I thought initially he might have been full of it.
    BK

Tastes pretty fair to boot
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Right on very glad for ya go retire, I was just passin on some info for those that knew nothing about it, and to you grandmalori and musicman thank you for the add to the post I am sure some of us like good or new info, while others can do nothing but knock posts
    Calm down there Jake I was not trying to knock your post, although telling somone they "might" be able to sell it for $100 a pound is not really good info, maybe you can but I am pretty sure it would be a stretch.

As an apology I will also try to add some goo info to this post. As I mentioned this is also called "tinder fungus" as when it has been dried a chunk of it can be lighted with a small flame even a lighter or match and will smolder as a small coal kinda of the way incense does and some people do infact burn it as incense myself included.

Now if you were to find yourself in a survival situation and you have managed to get a fire going you may have a scenario where you cannot stay where you are and fire may need to be transported, so take a chunk the size of a sugar cube or bigger light it blow on it to get a coal going and then wrap it in cone of birch bark opening it every five minutes or so to let it get some fresh oxygen.

first off names John not jake second I replied like I did cause I am usually getting slammed here and take offense probably too quick I apoplogize . Now on the other hand looking at the cost of product looks to me potetially it could sell well, don't get me wrong I do not know I was just repeating what my buddy told me from guys that use it all the time.
    Μολών λαβέ

Im a thinkin' folks have been grinding these up and mixxin' 'em with Tobbaco and chewin' it.......called "Blackball" and I guess one hellofa buzz..........

Go to Bethel and see how much you get a pound. Seems theres even a song by Peter Twitchell called "The Blackball Blues" ~LOL!~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Im a thinkin' folks have been grinding these up and mixxin' 'em with Tobbaco and chewin' it.......called "Blackball" and I guess one hellofa buzz..........

Go to Bethel and see how much you get a pound. Seems theres even a song by Peter Twitchell called "The Blackball Blues" ~LOL!~
    The stuff the natives chew is one of several different conks that grow up here on birch tree's to include "false tinder fungus, artist conk, birch conk, or pink conk. When chewed it has hallucinating (sp) effect

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    The stuff the natives chew is one of several different conks that grow up here on birch tree's to include "false tinder fungus, artist conk, birch conk, or pink conk. When chewed it has hallucinating (sp) effect
    Some of them burn it first before mixing with tobacco. If they only knew they could chew chaga with their tobacco instead and avoid lip cancer....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

now you probably know more about them but I heard from a guy dad worked with that they used the stuff from willows andd burned it first, and most natives can't even eat it straight. gotta mix it with regular chew.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

here's an exellent identification pic a buddy sent me from a web site he located,
    Μολών λαβέ

yup that looks real familiar. I never thought that would be useful
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanx for the visual, Iron, a picture clears **** right up, everytime
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I spent about an hour milling around in the woods and this is what I located in that short time. For those that are just learning about the stuff from my understanding the most useful part is the carmal colored inner section. Remove the outer layer and grind up the inner for use,
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast