Thread: Winchester has been a busy young setter.

Default Winchester has been a busy young setter.

Since Winchester is still basically a pup at 17 months I've been trying to get him out every chance I can for bird contacts. This past week he has been a fairly busy setter.
    Winchester busted a couple birds and pointed another 8-10. We managed to get three shots total and this nice male spruce grouse.

Another day for grouse, Winchester was on this day and he pointed 7, three of which I managed to get on the flush.

Into the high country for ptarmigan. Winchester worked his tail off up here, he was breaking through about have the time. Of course he found birds a half mile distant and 500 feet up from where we were. But the climb was worth it.

Here he is working a patch of willows that must have had recent bird traffic but as is so often the case, they were gone.

Winchester has a great time in the snow, he rolls in it, slides on it, acts like he is a puppy up there.

Back to grouse hunting, a couple more birds and Winchester found his first porcupine. In the picture the porcupine is at the base of the stump, canít really see him and you canít see the face full of quills but he ended up with about 30 in his muzzle and lower jaw. Thankfully he did not get aggressive with it and just backed off and watched until I came up. Took about 5 minutes to pull them out and he was up and hunting with no evident ill affect.

Great pics -- all of them. Congrats to all of you on your successes! He's a great looking pup and getting some great experience under his collar by the sounds of it!

Keep at 'em . . .

What fantastic pictures and stories! Pretty girls, dogs and guns. For my money just as good as it gets.

I hope Winchester has learned his lesson in regards to porcupines. Thank you for sharing some of the fun.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    What fantastic pictures and stories! Pretty girls, dogs and guns. For my money just as good as it gets.

I hope Winchester has learned his lesson in regards to porcupines. Thank you for sharing some of the fun.
    Thanks, everyday I count my blessings!

Very nice Steve! He is a beaut!!!!!!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans