Thread: DLP on portage duck flats?

Default DLP on portage duck flats?

anyone hear anything about a brownie DLP'd by a couple duck hunters last weekend?
    i heard they killed it with steel #4's, 12 shots...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default yeap

I had a link with picks 3 rds 3 1/2 #4 steel shot, point blank in head, put bear on death roll 10 ft from boat, then buddy put 3 rds in while guy reloaded and then 3 more.
    Supposedly there was a moose who ran by them moments earlier and then the bear (they thought it was another moose).

Attachment 54206

How wide is this moose?

oops! wrong thread???

Default Letter about it! Also got photos in a slide show

Good Morning,

Let me tell you I am very happy to be here to tell this story.

My friend Steve Thompson and I were duck hunting on Saturday (10/08/11) in Portage Valley (Alaska) and we were attacked by a brown bear. We are both OK but we killed the brown bear within 10 feet of our duck boat blind. This is one of those stories where you are just glad to be alive to tell it. I have lived and worked in Alaska for over 25 years and been around bears but never thought I would encounter one in my blind while duck hunting. I have provided a brief description of what happened below.

We had a small bull moose run about 10 feet behind our duck boat blind. About 30 seconds later, we heard some grass rustling and thought it was another moose, but then we see a brown bear following the trail of the moose. When the bear gets about 20 feet from our blind he looks up and sees us and heads right toward the front of the blind where I am sitting. I fired 3 rounds (3" #4 steel shot) into the bear at point blank range. My friend says I fired my last round when the bear was 2 feet away. He goes on to say that my head and the bears head were 2 feet apart at one point. After firing my third round, I dove away from the bear and out of the blind and my friend Steve fires 3 rounds (3.5" #4 steel shot) into his head that sends the bear to the front of the boat on the ground about 10 feet away. Steve reloads as the bear is doing the death spin. He puts 3 more rounds into the bear. I get up, reload, and fire 3 more rounds into the bear. The bear isn't moving at this point in time.

Neither of us was hurt (not a scratch). We were just scared ****less. We had 2 dogs with us. The older dog (Mynx) was out of the blind with hackles up about 20 feet away from the bear. The young (5 months) dog (Lulu) was hidden under one of the chairs in the boat, She was shaking and wouldn't come out for awhile. On a side note, we got one duck (a gadwall).

I have attached a few photos. You will see our boat blind is destroyed. That was from me diving out one side of the blind and the bear coming in the other. There is also a picture of blood on the blind to show how close the bear was when he got shot. We think the bear was a 7+ foot brown bear.

As a department employee, I thought I should send this to some select staff and the staff I work with. I did complete a defense of life and property report and turned in the completed report and the skinned bear to ADF&G staff here in Anchorage.

Regards,

Tim

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/8208...e-duck-hunting

Showed up on the waterfowl forum a few days ago, so it was not this weekend.

That'll get your heart rate up there faster than P90X! I bet you got teased at work when you brought that hide and skull in!

Red face

Wow, glad you are okay. That moose is glad too. Bears and wolves dont only take calves obviously. That bear doesnt look too beat up for absorbing that many duck loads. Guess they arent all that ideal for bear protection. Reminds me of the 14 rounds of .40 the bear in Illiamna absorbed. But you gotta use the gun you got.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I have always wondered about the effectiveness of that load in dire need, now we all know. Good to hear you all came out of it unscathed.

Here the pictures.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Man, 13 shots for 1 gadwall!!!!
    You guys got to shot some clays to up that average.

I imagine you got the duck before the bear showed up? I know if it had been me, I wouldn't have been able to hit the water, after your experience.
    Glad everythnig turned out ok.

I'll take a 12ga. with 3.5" #4 shot over just about any handgun cal. any day of the week for a charging brown bear. It's hard to argue with the size of the holes in the chest of this guy. Hope you don't mind me showing your ugly mug on here Steve

.PA080350.jpg

Any pics of the hide that depict the effective penetration?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Here the pictures.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Nice....Good Bear too!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Two friends and myself were out at Portage that Saturday morning. There were only two volleys of shots that morning. Ours and theirs. (There were other occasional shots, but nothing like the emptying of guns we heard). We shot at some geese (and they were the only wildfowl that we saw that morning), and then we heard "the other guys." We thought that a huge raft had gone over their heads when we heard them firing.
    Learned later that there was a DLP out in Portage that morning, and then got an e-mail with the story on Monday.
    I've got to say, thinking back on it, that their description of the shooting pretty much jibes with the shots that I heard.
    I am VERY GLAD that nobody (except the bear) was injured. Many more duck hunts ahead to the both of you!!!!!!!

quack! quack! Boom!! Boom!!

emrdux

Glad you guys are ok. Man that would have made a great video! So bears also come o duck calls.....

Thats a heck of a deal to sit in on.Glad all is well and from now on blow the correct hail call
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

After being charged 2 times in the last 3 years i can relate! Both times sows with cubs. Hope the predator control areas expand this next year for brown bears.

glad to hear you guys are all right! i too was charged by a brownie this year and had to DLP her. and yes i can attest to the scared sh**less part. i was out scouting for a goat hunt just outside of seward in august. sow with cubs. when she charged she closed the distance from 30 to less than ten yards so incredibly fast. thankfully one shot from my .375 stopped her in her tracks. then came the scared sh**less part. stood there with a second round ready for about 20 minutes before i was sure enough that she was dead. bravo to you guys on coming out of it unscathed. (it makes you appreceate everything more)

Very cool story to tell around the campfire for years to come - yikes!
    I agree with Amigo - either throw away the moose/bear call RIGHT NOW - or perhaps sell marketing rights to it!
    I had a pissy muskrat in a duckblind once and thought that was a real delima ....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....