Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hay Flats this weekend

Banned

Default Hay Flats this weekend

Anyone out Sunday knows it was a bad as it can get. I was wondering if it was any different Friday or Sat.?

Saturday was as bad as i've ever seen it. this morning i hunted a lesser known areas and killed/saw lots of birds. Duck lake is just shot the heck out. i think it has something to do with the 13 (i counted) boat trailers at the landing.

Banned

I agree completely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    Saturday was as bad as i've ever seen it. this morning i hunted a lesser known areas and killed/saw lots of birds. Duck lake is just shot the heck out. i think it has something to do with the 13 (i counted) boat trailers at the landing.
    Not shocked. It can't handle 3 to 5 boats hitting it everyday of the week, then double that and then some on the weekends.

IMO, a big part of it is the great internet resource guys use to get motivated to try new areas. People post reports about areas and we wonder why places are shot out, the lake is big, but not near big enough. If the birds never get a chance to rest/roost with out being disturbed they will (and have) find other areas. There are ducks, just in areas that aren't getting pounded day in an day out. Guys, we can't keep posting about DL, the access, the ducks, talking newbies out there and expect the area to hold birds. I don't disagree with helping people out but you really gotta be careful. And by looking at the people who are getting and building boats don't expect the hunting to get any better over the next few years. Just sayin.............

Duck lake is less then a hours drive from the biggest population area in the state. For some reason it seems duck hunting is growing more popular as a "in thing" to do these days, same as fly fishing. I don't like it, but I really believe the only way the problem will be fixed is with more regulation. There are refuges in the lower 48 where you are only allowed a limited amount of shells taken per person on the refuge, other places where hunting is only allowed on specific days of the week, example sat, sun and wen. and holidays. Another idea is to close a portion of the lake, fence or post a line across it, and have a refuge no hunting zone to attract the ducks, and another section to shoot them. That would limit the hunt area, attract ducks and still allow hunting in the open areas. I recall when young hunting in california, hunting along side a closed refuge and seeing the sky black with protected waterfowl. they were safe until they crossed the line. Eventually if things don't change, regulations will be upon us. I know regulation is the last resort and not something we want at all, but it will come eventually. All us dl hunters need to talk up the great shooting and everyday limits at Jim creek. Bud

PS: this is my "stir the pot" post for the day
    Wasilla

Yukon is correct. Don't be fooled by "We need hunters to move birds around." Sure, a hunter flushing ducks might send some your way, but doing so is like eating your seed corn. Move the birds enough and they move out to where you can't get.

I have seen days where I was the only one in the field. Birds will raft. The raft will pull ducks away from me. However, eventually the birds get antsy and some move without duress. Those birds work great to the call and decoys.

I hunt several areas and it took me a long time in the days before the Internet to find good spots. Now it seems that everywhere I like to go is talked about constantly on the Internet and some folks give directions. Thanks for nothing guys.

Are you guys against good hunting? A newbie with a yacky doodle duck call who sets up 150 yards from me makes my 4:00 AM trip a waste of a perfectly good day.

Like Yukon said, just sayin . . .

Glad you guys are encouraging others and sharing your sport.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    All us dl hunters need to talk up the great shooting and everyday limits at Jim creek. Bud
    The Jim Creek swamp is several times larger than DL. Now with the water so low preventing outboards and jets from accessing it, vast portions have turned into a refuge. Small light boats with long tails are the way to go out there. Larger boats with surface drives can still make it back to Swan and Leaf. However, if you are not set up in a good spot the birds will frustrate you all day. Stupid swans......

I had 3 guys in 2 boats ask me for directions to the lake yesterday when i was pulling out. Its not gonna get any better

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    I had 3 guys in 2 boats ask me for directions to the lake yesterday when i was pulling out. Its not gonna get any better
    Time to find other areas. I am convinced this dang forum is responsible for a lot of it. Often there are 10 non registered members looking at the waterfowl forum at any given time during the season. Hopefully it will cycle through, because the hunting has sucked out there the last few years, yes, we all have our good days, but those of us that have hunted it long enough know how it used to be. Shooting a couple ducks a day is not good hunting, seems most newbies are happy with that and think that is a good day, a far cry from "how it used to be", dang, I must be getting old!

Seriously, I hope guys think about their internet postings from here on out, because there should be ducks on the lake right now, this should be prime time, instead it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Glad you guys are encouraging others and sharing your sport.
    I don't think any of us mind sharing our sport, just not our spots to a point where the crowds have pushed out the birds and the hunting sucks for everyone.

BTW, do you have a good moose spot to share, I could use a good area/camp to give it a go next year?

It surely couldn't be that gas is really expensive and folks are looking to stay close to home (there are a lot of "homes" within reach of DL). A fellow forum member/contributor and I found it by accident in a square stern early in the season when there were only 3 boats at the launch. This is my first year hunting birds over decoys and it's his first year after waterfowl at all. Too bad the secret old haunts are actually some of the closest to town and readily seen from any internet mapping resource.

This member and I also share a secret ptarmigan spot. Folks must watch this forum because it gets overrun in the winter. I just haven't figured out how those flat barrels maintain any sort of pattern and why they carry two separately instead of just mounting them together.
    Go Big Red!

I agree with the basic theme here there is WAY too much 'sharing'. Guys who might try laying a guilt trip, who think they are owed information, need a reality check.

Could it also be that the migration is basically over? How many think more birds are coming through from North?
    Last edited by HarryHyde; 10-17-2011 at 11:52. Reason: spelling

Harry I thought that myself but i relocated this weekend and had a great shoot so it is not a lack of birds in the area

I think the northern birds are already here and mostly gone. We had some clear moonlit nights. I think a lot of them just kept right on moving.
    I say this cause some buddies and myself drove up north this past weekend. All small lakes and ponds are froze. In fact the Only thIng open is Lake Louise. But it too was very quiet.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    I agree with the basic theme here there is WAY too much 'sharing'. Guys who might try laying a guilt trip, who think they are owed information, need a reality check.
    As do the guys who feel a sense of ownership of an area simply because they've been there before.

Yukon is correct again.

And my yacky doodle duck call comment was not rhetorical. I am getting weary of listening to that call and do not appreciate guys who can't keep themselves hidden. When someone blows a duck call loud and hard like my six year old son and when the same someone is waving a duck flag from his open boat and frequently motoring his boat around the marsh my hunting is shot.

I don't mean to sound selfish or like a curmudgeon but courtesy requires gaining sufficient knowledge prior to venturing out.

I do my best to stay out your way and stay hidden so that we can both enjoy good hunting. Too many folks in the field means the chances of a ruined hunt escalates logarithmically.

Refuge use had actually declined according to ADF&G from 30 years ago. There were over 9,000 waterfowl hunter days in 1983-84 versus less than 3,000 in 1998-99, the last year I had seen data for. Perhaps it has picked up again, but probably not at historical highs.

One of the problems with holding ducks is shooting and other activity in the lake in the evenings. Birds will stick around an area even with a lot of hunting pressure as long as they can come back and roost unmolested in the evenings.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bobshem View Post
    Yukon is correct again.

And my yacky doodle duck call comment was not rhetorical. I am getting weary of listening to that call and do not appreciate guys who can't keep themselves hidden. When someone blows a duck call loud and hard like my six year old son and when the same someone is waving a duck flag from his open boat and frequently motoring his boat around the marsh my hunting is shot.

I don't mean to sound selfish or like a curmudgeon but courtesy requires gaining sufficient knowledge prior to venturing out.

I do my best to stay out your way and stay hidden so that we can both enjoy good hunting. Too many folks in the field means the chances of a ruined hunt escalates logarithmically.
    I hate to point out the obvious...but most folks acquire "sufficient knowledge" about hunting by getting out in the field and hunting. There's only so much that can be learned here, and it seems there are those that want to limit that also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast