Thread: Fed premium .338, 250 grain nosler partitions $26/box

Default Fed premium .338, 250 grain nosler partitions $26/box

Well, I think I'll stick with the old stand by.. was really thinking of going to the X bullet. I just heard too many pass through stories, and the partition has served me well. No need to debate the X bullets .. they are good.. just think I'll stick with a proven round out of my gun.. used them for over ten years..

I found them for 26 bucks a box on the net, and figured something had to be wrong with that picture.. ordered three boxes, shipping was 10 bucks to Alaska.. I got them,, then see the company changed the price to 59/box..

it's the little things in life that make you smile..

Still looking for a better idea, but hard to beat a 250 grain nosler at "2660 fps"..

I have a buddy loading boattails saying he gets 3200 fps(225 grain.. .338). sounds a bit too hot?.. was going to shoot them... might still, but ..

I bought some Hornady SST 200's that come out at 3100.. and seems to really do the job..cut a caribou spine in half.. I talked to the tech at Hornady, and he said not to use that round on moose.. hard to believe after seeing the penetration on the caribou..

26 bucks a box for fed premium .338 250 np..lol.. gotta love it..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I have a buddy loading boattails saying he gets 3200 fps(225 grain.. .338). sounds a bit too hot?.. was going to shoot them... might still, but ...
    I'd say that's more than "a bit too hot"! I am uncertain how he's arrived at that figure, but I doubt it's an accurate reflection of real world velocity. 2850 fps is much more common, maybe 2900-2950 fps in some loads/rifles; 3200 is absurd.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have a buddy loading boattails saying he gets 3200 fps(225 grain.. .338). sounds a bit too hot?.. was going to shoot them... might
    Yea, that's what I figured when he threw those numbers out. Have you ever tested actual velocities?.. On the Fed premium 250 grain.. think actual is close to 2660?

I bought three boxes and plan to shoot it a bit at three hundred this Fall.. not that I shoot much game at that range...but it does happen..

thanks for the reply..

You don't like your bullets to exit an animal?

Yea, that's what I figured when he threw those numbers out. Have you ever tested actual velocities?.. On the Fed premium 250 grain.. think actual is close to 2660?
    I've a hunting partner that uses that exact Federal load in his 338 WM (24 inch barrel) but I've not shot them against my chronograph. He did eliminate a small caribou bull, a 9' brown bear and 67 & 1/2 inch moose from GMU 17 this season...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've a hunting partner that uses that exact Federal load in his 338 WM (24 inch barrel) but I've not shot them against my chronograph. He did eliminate a small caribou bull, a 9' brown bear and 67 & 1/2 inch moose from GMU 17 this season...
    I know the round pretty well.. have killed close to 20 moose with it, and it has always done exactly what it is supposed to do.. you pull the trigger the animal disappears from the sight picture on the ground. This year I had a large bull absorb a high lung shot, and two just lower, and make it 600 yards(after standing there 7-8 minutes).. made my life a lot more difficult. Kinda odd cause he never saw me(never got pumped).. took the first shot, almost fell.. had what looked like no control of his front legs.. started to fall backwards when he tried to walk.... moving his head back and forth,, looked to be bleeding to death(gravel bar had three distinct red frothy blood puddles).. after three to five minutes, I gave him the other two(lower so to get both lungs).. 3-5 minutes later he takes a little walk. Had me thinking real hard about the X bullet.. I think that first shot with the X would have taken him down getting spine like that.. the nosler simply over expanded, under penetrated.. didn't get the second lung. First time I've ever had pause with the 250 grain fed premium nosler. The rounds were ten years old, and had been carried around through a lot of trips.. tips were a bit imperfect... I bought three new boxes, and will shoot a bunch this Winter.. might change my sighting just a bit.. have been 5 high at 100 for over ten years.. it just groved there.. makes me 6.5 high at the azmuth.. and dead on at 300.. seems like good sighting for the moose kill zone.. not too good for sheep.. smaller game.. I am going to lower my 100 to 4 high this Winter.. and go two or three low at 300...

I want to talk to some different hand loaders and get more knowed up.. see if there are any other rounds to look at..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You don't like your bullets to exit an animal?
    Matt, was that question to me?

wellllll. if a round is carrying 3800 pounds of energy, and it expands correctly, and all that energy is absorbed by the animal, chances are he's going down sooner rather than later.