Thread: A Short, Early Season Hunt

Default A Short, Early Season Hunt

I was raised mostly away from hunting. Urban Omaha boy. Tho my Dad introduced me to guns and hunting, the more I got into it, the less he did. I moved to Alaska to enhance my interest in hunting/trapping. My mom and he retired to Sun City to play Golf.

This trip was to get my Family out together. It also was the first time I had a gun for my daughter to use. I was hoping to get her in on her first success. I had bought a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR and had it sighted in for her to practice with. She is 11 yrs old and small for her age.
    I had selected an area that allowed some chance at Bou for her, and Moose for me and the girlfriend. Here is me on the way to camp:

We trailered the 4 wheelers to the hunt area and were fortunate enough to find a place to camp by the truck. Here is the g/f and kid after we got most of the setting up done:

Amazingly, we found a small herd of bou the first evening there. We did manage to get up on them, but not at a distance I was comfortable letting her shoot. We had to back off as they were looking to move out of the area and I didn't want to scare them off.
    The next morning we set out to return to where they had last been seen. Less than a quarter mile from camp, I looked up from the wheeler to find them right in front of me. Who expects bou to move CLOSER to you after scaring them the night before? We were not ready to shoot, and the animals moved away. Tho following bou is usually unproductive, we managed to get her and I (the g/f stayed at camp that morn) within shooting distance. I still could not get her into just the right scenario, so with skittish animals staring at us, I took one so we at least had some success on this hunt.
    The rest of the 10 or so animals didn't move far away and we now had some willows to walk into and get a sneak onto the remaining bou. Got the kid into a shooting position at a young bou and told her shoot. She missed however, a couple times truthfully, so I took that one also. But I was satisfied to at least get her into opportunities for success. Here she is with the young one:

We managed to get the young one on the wheeler and get it back to camp, where we got the g/f and returned for the larger animal. I elected to do a lifesize dorsal skin on this one, even tho it was a female. I had hopes of selling it on the taxidermy site, but that hasn't proved successful so far. Here's the g/f with the skinned hide, the head and legs still in it:

That night the wind really picked up. I had wanted to spend a little more time looking for moose, as well as griz, but our camp was somewhat exposed and the tent really moved around during the night. So with meat and hides to care for, we packed up the 3rd day and headed home. We explored some new country and enjoyed our time together. Hope to do it again!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Cool!
    which road did ya take?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats on getting everyone out on a hunt and getting a couple of bou hope your daughter has better luck on the next go around!

Great to see families out together.

Enjoy the good eats this winter.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Right on! Sounds like a good shake down hunt. I had one like that last year with my 11 yr old daughter.

It is nice to see you getting out with the family having some success. I seem to recall missing a few things at her age too, I hope she had a good time being out with you two. I envy all those who got out moose hunting this year as I missed the season in favor of a caribou trip. MQ, nice to put a face to your posts.

Stranger..................the location is TOP secret................haha! Heaven forbid another might hunt there.
    Actually, it is a pretty accessible place, but surprisingly, no one else came by while we were there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for sharing!! Great pics and always good to see the families out together getting it done.

Great stuff, Mike.

Great looking family too. Thanks for sharing.
    Proud to be an American!